Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,041 members, 7,835,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

A Christians Major Concern - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Christians Major Concern (567 Views)

As A Christians Learn How To Look Good. / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Christians Major Concern by yommyuk: 11:03am On Apr 02, 2011
Matthew 6:1
"Watch out! Don't do your good deeds publicly to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven."

In the above verse, Jesus is telling us that our good deeds should not be done for public recognition but as a service to God. Good deeds are acts that conform to God's pattern for proper behavior.

The Pharisees of Jesus day were concerned about others knowing what they did. They blew trumpets when they gave alms getting many together so it would be known how much they gave. They stood on the street corner to offer prayers. They wanted to measure well in the eyes of man.

We are not to be anxious over what people think about us. God's Word says in 2 Corin 10:12

"Oh, don't worry; we wouldn't dare say that we are as wonderful as these other men who tell you how important they are! But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard of measurement. How ignorant!

I have found out that there is peer pressure in the body of Christ. I call it "feel good factor", "I have arrived", " I have made it", " I am born again "
"I am holy", the list goes on and on. Even Jesus Christ Disciples were caught up in this sin.  Matthew 18:1-3

About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked,"Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?

The disciples began to assume that their new freedom in relation to Jewish authority entitled them to authority of their own, leading to jealous comparisons and petty desires for power among the disciples, revolving around the apparent privilege of Peter, James and John. They decided to clarify this with Jesus, the greatest teacher: "Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven"

Jesus Christ put them in their place by telling them that unless they climbed down from their high horses and become like little children, it is vanity upon vanity. The disciples intent was on status and ambition, but Christ said "HUMILITY" is the key to heaven. Wonderful!

LESSONS

We should not be concerned with the following questions "Who is the best christian?", "Which one is the best Church?" Comparing and measuring ourselves against each other. Sometimes we think we are well grounded in scriptures and may think we have arrived. Jesus said unless we become like a little child, we are nothing. A little child is the spirit of innocence, purity, blameless, virtue, etc. As a little child is totally dependent on the parent for his/her upkeep, likewise a christian must surrender all to God. So what should be our major concern?

CONCLUSION

Jesus Christ is  telling  us not to worry about who would be the greatest in His kingdom; our first concern should be if we would even enter the kingdom of heaven.

1 Peter 4:18-19

"And also, "If the righteous are barely saved, what will happen to godless sinners? So if you are suffering in a manner that pleases God, keep on doing what is right, and trust your lives to the God who created you, for he will never fail you.

God bless wink

(1) (Reply)

Sta / Why Are Monotheits So Fanatical? / "godly Modest Women' [virtuous Women]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.