Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? (1219 Views)

Classified Sites For Automobiles In Nigeria / Demystifying CNG in Automobiles / Nord Automobiles Rolls Out Pick-Ups From Lagos Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:06am On Jan 21, 2021
I just read a very depressing article that highlighted that only 775 new cars were sold in all of 2020 in Nigeria. That's abysmally low for a country of 200 million people. It highlights the level of poverty here. Brazil has the same population and some Nigerians in the travel section refer to as a shithole had 2.7 million brand new car sales an increase in 8 percent from the previous year and this was during a pandemic o.

Is there really a market for automobiles in Nigeria.

The article

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/nigeria/motor-vehicles-sales

1 Like

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by The5DME(m): 9:12am On Jan 21, 2021
I hate africa!
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 9:35am On Jan 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I just read a very depressing article that highlighted that only 775 new cars were sold in all of 2020 in Nigeria.

I checked the website and didn't see any data for 2020. 775 is a pretty low figure.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:37am On Jan 21, 2021
aieromon:

I checked the website and didn't see any data for 2020.

That's weird but it was there some moments ago. Maybe they are updating their servers but look at even the previous years. Its only like ten thousand people that can afford new cars in Nigeria. Where's the massive market everyone is always yapping about.

1 Like

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 9:48am On Jan 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

That's weird but it was there some moments ago. Maybe they are updating their servers but look at even the previous years. Its only like ten thousand people that can afford new cars in Nigeria. Where's the massive market everyone is always yapping about.

Affordability is different from accessibility. Accessibility should come with financing options. Until then, Nigerians will make do with the used cars market where they pay out of pocket without sweat.

https://nairametrics.com/2020/09/08/nigeria-imported-n1-28-trillion-used-vehicles-motorcycle-in-one-year-up-by-42/

2 Likes

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:55am On Jan 21, 2021
aieromon:

Affordability is different from accessibility. Accessibility should come with financing options. Until then, Nigerians will make do with the used cars market where they pay out of pocket without sweat.

Its still to low compared to countries like brazil and mexico which Nigeria should be on the same level with. Brazil alone had ten million used car sales. 10 freaking million.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 10:22am On Jan 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Its still to low compared to countries like brazil and mexico which Nigeria should be on the same level with. Brazil alone had ten million used car sales. 10 freaking million.

There is no basis for comparison.

Brazil has about 36 automobile manufacturers.

Mexico has about 21 automobile manufacturers.

Their automotive industry is light years ahead.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by remi1444: 2:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I just read a very depressing article that highlighted that only 775 new cars were sold in all of 2020 in Nigeria. That's abysmally low for a country of 200 million people. It highlights the level of poverty here. Brazil has the same population and some Nigerians in the travel section refer to as a shithole had 2.7 million brand new car sales an increase in 8 percent from the previous year and this was during a pandemic o.

Is there really a market for automobiles in Nigeria.

The article

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/nigeria/motor-vehicles-sales
I am in no way trying to discredit this but I read an article published by SR that the national assembly bought Toyota cars for its member at a very outrageous price. I mean this article was published in 2020. Assuming each member got one Prado Jeep each meaning 360+ 109= 469, then subtracting 469- 775= 351. Meaning 2020, the Executive, Judiciary, HOA, Civil Service and the masses would have to ration 351 newly bought cars among themselves?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by Deoboss(m): 6:49am On Jan 22, 2021
The figure is false

4 Likes

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by lymelyte(m): 7:45am On Jan 22, 2021
The5DME:
I hate africa!
don't use Nigeria to judge africa please.. Other countries in africa are doing well e.g south africa,Morocco.. So don't assume because Nigeria is not doing well,then africa is not..
It makes much sense when you say I Hate west africa.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by TechCapon(m): 6:52pm On Jan 26, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

hi, I want you to teach me digital marketing. I saw ur thread. Check ur Dm.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:31pm On Jan 26, 2021
TechCapon:
hi, I want you to teach me digital marketing. I saw ur thread. Check ur Dm.
I have replied you but I don't have time to teach at all.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by duality(m): 7:36pm On Jan 26, 2021
We don't even know if there is market for cars in Nigeria.

Maybe we should ask those who want to sell Nigeria used 1999/2000 Camry for 800,000 naira.

How much was the car sold in 1999/ 2000, when it was released.

1 Like

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by TechCapon(m): 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I have replied you but I don't have time to teach at all.
my man, I didn't see any reply o. I just want the basics and then I'll take it from there. I'm not a novice in digital marketing, I just want a little push.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by xtervaganza(m): 8:19pm On Jan 26, 2021
That's a lie. A big fat lie. You know how many automobile companies are in Nigeria selling new cars? Also add innoson and you will realise you're chatting rubbish

I may not have the real figures but I'm sure over 100,000 new cars are bought in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:24pm On Jan 26, 2021
xtervaganza:
That's a lie. A big fat lie. You know how many automobile companies are in Nigeria selling new cars? Also add innoson and you will realise you're chatting rubbish

I may not have the real figures but I'm sure over 100,000 new cars are bought in Nigeria
100000 even in 2012 when things were good not up to 20000 new cars were sold yearly.
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by CocoaOla: 9:46pm On Jan 26, 2021
I will rather use my money to buy stock invest in business than to a 20year old used car for 1 million nonsense country and nonsense people
Re: Is There Really A Market For Automobiles In Nigeria? by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:41pm On Jan 28, 2021
The honest truth is 95% of Nigerians don't buy new cars. The go for foreign used, accidented or Nigerian used cars. A lot of people cannot afford it.

(1) (Reply)

How Many Months Can I Drive Tokunbo Without Number Plate? / Verify Engine Type / My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.