Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria (11691 Views)

Jonathan, Jega Lead West African Leaders To Monitor Liberian Elections / Again Osinbajo Tackles Atiku On Restructuring / Reno Omokri's TEDx Talk On Restructuring, Everyone Is Talking About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by samdunzo: 7:55pm On Jan 22, 2021
CoolAmbience:

These are just theories. They hold no real significance in how things truly work.

You really just talk about things without facts. How can you say that Kano and Kaduna do not contribute to VAT?

What has the dwindling oil fortune got to do with restructuring? Do states not have a responsibility for IGR generation already?

I do not see how the police not answering to the Governor affects anything at all. Ask how well the Governors have faired / are fairing with the funds and powers currently at their disposal. Aren't they the real reason the country is moving at a snail speed? Tell me, if we have 36 + 1 hyper working units, who would really care about any center? How well are the states applying the resources that they receive and generate?

There are rail links to the SS and SE, so I do not understand what you mean by 'begging' the FG for rail link up.

Why should any sane Nigerian be scared of the man at the center? It makes no sense.

There is nothing wrong with the states requiring approval to execute power, airport and / or seaport projects. These aren't Nigeria's
real problems. Are these why we have unending corruption? Is it why the public school systems are failing? What about healthcare and sanitation?

Is it why politicians are acquiring stupendous wealth and properties across the country and abroad, to the detriment of the masses? What has restructuring got to do with dishonesty in leadership?

The problem is that the man at the center doesn't allow governors to do anything meaningful. All regional development is sacrificed on the table of "nationalism". For instance, the states in the Niger Delta should be able to utilize their natural gas and oil to provide 24 hour electricity. But, they can't because mining is in the "exclusive" list. On the topic of SARS, in a restructured NGA, governors would be able to curtail the excesses of officers, since they would be in control of them. But, due to the overcentralised police force, they were not. This is what folks are talking about when we say "restructure"

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by AustineJohn908(m): 8:20pm On Jan 22, 2021
CoolAmbience:

These are just theories. They hold no real significance in how things truly work.

You really just talk about things without facts. How can you say that Kano and Kaduna do not contribute to VAT?

What has the dwindling oil fortune got to do with restructuring? Do states not have a responsibility for IGR generation already?

I do not see how the police not answering to the Governor affects anything at all. Ask how well the Governors have faired / are fairing with the funds and powers currently at their disposal. Aren't they the real reason the country is moving at a snail speed? Tell me, if we have 36 + 1 hyper working units, who would really care about any center? How well are the states applying the resources that they receive and generate?

There are rail links to the SS and SE, so I do not understand what you mean by 'begging' the FG for rail link up.

Why should any sane Nigerian be scared of the man at the center? It makes no sense.

There is nothing wrong with the states requiring approval to execute power, airport and / or seaport projects. These aren't Nigeria's
real problems. Are these why we have unending corruption? Is it why the public school systems are failing? What about healthcare and sanitation?

Is it why politicians are acquiring stupendous wealth and properties across the country and abroad, to the detriment of the masses? What has restructuring got to do with dishonesty in leadership?

You're behaving like you not in this same Nigeria where the Yorubas, The Northerners are scare of an igbo man ruling...weren't you hear when before 2015 election the Igbos where the Igbos voted in the majority for Buhari not towin simply because they were scare.
There is everything wrong for a state to secure permission from the centre govt before embarking on a capital project...it just like saying maybe New York have to secure permission from the American Govt before doing any top project.
It is everything wrong because the FG might reject it for any reason whatsover, maybe because Mr President is having some problems with Mr Govtnor. then the state suffers for that reason.
Because Education or sanitation haven't been given top priority doesn't mean other top project shouldn't go on.
Do your remember the Lagos rail system which the Lagos State govt wanted to build but had to go to the Buhari led Govt to ask Permission and permission wasn't granted and that project have to come to a halt, today Lagos State is suffering for it. that rail line would've solved alot of issues currently confronting Lagos transportation system today.

When we restructure the country, a new Constitution will be unveiled. a constitution that will hold those Governors or politicians to ransom. even if they like they should've a blood connection to Mr President they will still be arrested and persecuted.
A constitution whereby the judiciary will be free of the fg influence.
Imagine a constitution like the United States constitution where institutions of the state are powerful and not even Mr President can stop them from investigating and persecuting corrupt individuals.

If they're rails linked to the SE why then is the easterners clamouring to have rail linking their state either to each other or to Lagos?

If we keep the system of feeding from the centre states will not live up to their full potentials cause they will always be waiting for centre money. but when we restructure, each region will go back to the drawing board. on how to make money to sustain themselves and this will in turn make electorate vote people that have their well-being at heart.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 22, 2021
mamaafrik:
it has been ingrained in the Muslim Hausa-Fulanis blood to defend the Lopsidedness of "one Nigeria",hear the foolish argument of a Professor of Political science,Gowon was Teleguided and uses by sokoto to achieve a Hausa Fulani Agenda just like the Middlebelt was used and some foolish one in the south until they realize that they are just useless pun in the Hausa-Fulanis game of chess playing,you see how some paid e buffons are tactically uaing Yoruba head against the Igbos and the SS and we in the south fall for it easily,who is benefitting??, Think,the Hausa-Fulanis are losing the Middle belt and they know the consequence,a united South is a a problem,now with Middle belt joining the South,they know they are finished,that is why they paid some fools to cause division amongst us,anytime you see such post report and remove it
Pls, develop big heart to avoid speaking out of hatred, full of intolerance and imaginary suspicion. You cannot develop pretentious southern unity on the basis of hatred for the North or Islam. Hatred never begets love. Check ur words again. You can't hate Islam and expect to get the support Middlebelt. It's obvious all ur hates has nothing to do with Hausa-Fulani but religion. Do u think with hate u have for Islam u can get the support of Nasarawa, Kogi, Kwara and Niger out of the 6 NC states? Think again.
Lopsided appointments or Nepotism was always in the govt depending in who's in power. Go and check GEJ'S administration appointees and I'm sure you'll be ashamed of calling PMB nepotist. What u PEOPLE always forget is, appointments tend to go to states that give larger votes to ruling party. How do u expect to get equal appointments with states that gave 70% of their votes to those that gave 5%? Is it not obvious that SW states has the highest appointees under PMB's govt? They deservingly got it because they joined hand in making the govt. If u're talking abt juicy positions, then are u telling me ppl are appointed to take money home or to serve? Most of the heads of MDAs are equally paid.
If you're to restructure Nigeria based on hate for other tribes then you'll get the same treatment waiting for you from minor tribes in the same new state u created.
The game of politics is in the gene of Hausa-Fulani, you can't win election by threats and mediocrity. We're the masters of the game, so let us play the game. If u think North clinch to power because of southern division then you're wrong. South can never be united for the course you're calling unless for good course but if it's to win against the North, that's a poor tactic. Go and check how Presidential election can be won and you'll know that it's more of extending hand of friendship between zones to get the 25% required votes and permutations than the false accusations you're throwing.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 10:30pm On Jan 22, 2021
AustineJohn908:
You're behaving like you not in this same Nigeria where the Yorubas, The Northerners are scare of an igbo man ruling...weren't you hear when before 2015 election the Igbos where the Igbos voted in the majority for Buhari not towin simply because they were scare.
There is everything wrong for a state to secure permission from the centre govt before embarking on a capital project...it just like saying maybe New York have to secure permission from the American Govt before doing any top project.
It is everything wrong because the FG might reject it for any reason whatsover, maybe because Mr President is having some problems with Mr Govtnor. then the state suffers for that reason.
Because Education or sanitation haven't been given top priority doesn't mean other top project shouldn't go on.
Do your remember the Lagos rail system which the Lagos State govt wanted to build but had to go to the Buhari led Govt to ask Permission and permission wasn't granted and that project have to come to a halt, today Lagos State is suffering for it. that rail line would've solved alot of issues currently confronting Lagos transportation system today.

When we restructure the country, a new Constitution will be unveiled. a constitution that will hold those Governors or politicians to ransom. even if they like they should've a blood connection to Mr President they will still be arrested and persecuted.
A constitution whereby the judiciary will be free of the fg influence.
Imagine a constitution like the United States constitution where institutions of the state are powerful and not even Mr President can stop them from investigating and persecuting corrupt individuals.

If they're rails linked to the SE why then is the easterners clamouring to have rail linking their state either to each other or to Lagos?

If we keep the system of feeding from the centre states will not live up to their full potentials cause they will always be waiting for centre money. but when we restructure, each region will go back to the drawing board. on how to make money to sustain themselves and this will in turn make electorate vote people that have their well-being at heart.

Maybe, you have another Nigeria that I don't know about.

Restructuring is a no no for me.

Almost everything you are saying here is unfounded and strange.

Which rail did Buhari prevent Lagos from constructing?

The judiciary in Nigeria has allowed corruption to swallow her. The FG isn't their problem.

You call the collosal political miscalculation by the Igbos 'fear of the North'? It is not. They only hate Buhari, and that is their cup of tea.

No one just wakes up and begins to rule Nigeria. The Igbos aren't ready yet. It has nothing to do with anyone being 'scared' of them. Do not mistake absence of mutual trust for fear. There is mutual mistrust everywhere....all over the world.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by spacechuks(m): 1:59am On Jan 23, 2021
Coronabirus:
Pls, develop big heart to avoid speaking out of hatred, full of intolerance and imaginary suspicion. You cannot develop pretentious southern unity on the basis of hatred for the North or Islam. Hatred never begets love. Check ur words again. You can't hate Islam and expect to get the support Middlebelt. It's obvious all ur hates has nothing to do with Hausa-Fulani but religion. Do u think with hate u have for Islam u can get the support of Nasarawa, Kogi, Kwara and Niger out of the 6 NC states? Think again.
Lopsided appointments or Nepotism was always in the govt depending in who's in power. Go and check GEJ'S administration appointees and I'm sure you'll be ashamed of calling PMB nepotist. What u PEOPLE always forget is, appointments tend to go to states that give larger votes to ruling party. How do u expect to get equal appointments with states that gave 70% of their votes to those that gave 5%? Is it not obvious that SW states has the highest appointees under PMB's govt? They deservingly got it because they joined hand in making the govt. If u're talking abt juicy positions, then are u telling me ppl are appointed to take money home or to serve? Most of the heads of MDAs are equally paid.
If you're to restructure Nigeria based on hate for other tribes then you'll get the same treatment waiting for you from minor tribes in the same new state u created.
The game of politics is in the gene of Hausa-Fulani, you can't win election by threats and mediocrity. We're the masters of the game, so let us play the game. If u think North clinch to power because of southern division then you're wrong. South can never be united for the course you're calling unless for good course but if it's to win against the North, that's a poor tactic. Go and check how Presidential election can be won and you'll know that it's more of extending hand of friendship between zones to get the 25% required votes and permutations than the false accusations you're throwing.

You claim you northerners are the master of the game, then the jihadist in Asorock should give appointments to states that voted for him,

Why not consider this; since the minority states are not important to be considered for equal appointments whether they vote or not, then stop exploring the natural resources in their states and generate revenues from the states that deserves appointments

Then stop collecting duties and tariffs from the seaports located in these southern states due to customs and taxes due to firs from activities from the minority states,

Do you know how much Lagos state make alone from the sea port, it's enough to take care of Lagos state alone if the federal government relinquish their false right over the sea port,

The south contributes the larger cake , while majority of the northerners eat from the same cake, then your assertion is that states that voted for the president deserves appointments,

Mind you, most of those appointments exercise their office activities in the south, if the south choose to go the borno bokoharam way, the revenue of this fucking country will dwindle,

So get it in your dumb skull, the south by default deserves equal appointments, equal fed jobs, equal everything irrespective of the fact they voted or not; if you dont like it ,park your load and leave us alone, we would be better off without the north
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by AustineJohn908(m): 11:36am On Jan 23, 2021
CoolAmbience:

The judiciary in Nigeria has allowed corruption to swallow her. The FG isn't their problem.

You call the collosal political miscalculation by the Igbos 'fear of the North'? It is not. They only hate Buhari, and that is their cup of tea.

No one just wakes up and begins to rule Nigeria. The Igbos aren't ready yet. It has nothing to do with anyone being 'scared' of them. Do not mistake absence of mutual trust for fear. There is mutual mistrust everywhere....all over the world.

See bro if peaceful restructuring doesn't happen, forceful one will. I'm thankful oil will be worthless in a few years, let me see how worthless oil can help Nigeria economy of 200 million people.
Now is the time to restructure, let each state or region control their resources and pay dividends to the centre.
let reduce the power that is in the centre..

By the way, how aren't the Igbos ready yet? you see why I said you Yorubas and North are scare of the Igbos rulling?
In the 1980s buhari stint as military President, he stopped the construction of a Lagos metro rail lone
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by AustineJohn908(m): 11:37am On Jan 23, 2021
CoolAmbience:

See bro if peaceful restructuring doesn't happen, forceful one will. I'm thankful oil will be worthless in a few years, let me see how worthless oil can help Nigeria economy of 200 million people.
Now is the time to restructure, let each state or region control their resources and pay dividends to the centre.

By the way, how aren't the Igbos ready yet? you see why I said you Yorubas and North are scare of the Igbos rulling?
In the 1980s buhari stint as military President, he stopped the construction of a Lagos metro rail line. just check.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 12:52pm On Jan 23, 2021
AustineJohn908:

In the 1980s buhari stint as military President, he stopped the construction of a Lagos metro rail line. just check.

Igbos aren't ready to lead Nigeria.

I am Igbo before you start brandishing your half truths again.

I am waiting for the forceful restructuring.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by TrueChristians: 1:12pm On Jan 23, 2021
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 23, 2021
spacechuks:

You claim you northerners are the master of the game, then the jihadist in Asorock should give appointments to states that voted for him,

Why not consider this; since the minority states are not important to be considered for equal appointments whether they vote or not, then stop exploring the natural resources in their states and generate revenues from the states that deserves appointments

Then stop collecting duties and tariffs from the seaports located in these southern states due to customs and taxes due to firs from activities from the minority states,

Do you know how much Lagos state make alone from the sea port, it's enough to take care of Lagos state alone if the federal government relinquish their false right over the sea port,

The south contributes the larger cake , while majority of the northerners eat from the same cake, then your assertion is that states that voted for the president deserves appointments,

Mind you, most of those appointments exercise their office activities in the south, if the south choose to go the borno bokoharam way, the revenue of this fucking country will dwindle,

So get it in your dumb skull, the south by default deserves equal appointments, equal fed jobs, equal everything irrespective of the fact they voted or not; if you dont like it ,park your load and leave us alone, we

would be better off without the north

Don't talk like ignorant. U can't wait speak for the whole south. which southern states generate revenue much beside oil producing states and Lagos?
Stop hiding behind them to unleash ur false allegations.
Agriculture contributes 40% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and employs about 70% of the working population in Nigeria. Agriculture is also the largest economic activity in the rural area where almost 50% of the population lives. despite the presence of oil in the country. It is the main source of livelihood for most Nigerians.
Trillions of naira is being acrued make annually from agriculture, u can't match farming with anything else in the life of Nigeria and north carry that first.

I didn't say minority state are not entitled for appointments but state that give ruling party less vote won't get as much appointments as those with higher percentages except for ministerial and other exclusive appointments.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by AustineJohn908(m): 2:18pm On Jan 23, 2021
CoolAmbience:

Igbos aren't ready to lead Nigeria.

I am Igbo before you start brandishing your half truths again.

I am waiting for the forceful restructuring.

Ok o. keep being igbo, I'm from the South south and I know we want to handle our own resources and grow in our own pace and if our governors steal well part of life.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 5:39pm On Jan 23, 2021
AustineJohn908:
Ok o. keep being igbo, I'm from the South south and I know we want to handle our own resources and grow in our own pace and if our governors steal well part of life.

Mtchewww.

You want to manage your resources indeed.

What have your Governors, over the past 20 years, achieved with the 13% derivation that accrues to the region.

The South south region is even the worst in terms of leadership rascality and corruption.
Re: Jonathan, Jega, Nwodo Express Divergent Views On Restructuring Nigeria by AustineJohn908(m): 8:24pm On Jan 23, 2021
CoolAmbience:

Mtchewww.

You want to manage your resources indeed.

What have your Governors, over the past 20 years, achieved with the 13% derivation that accrues to the region.

The South south region is even the worst in terms of leadership rascality and corruption.

Nevertheless it doesn't matter. my state with it resources as done well even though not how we will want but we're grateful to God for where we are today and more is coming.
So because Nigeria leaders are thieves and has been stealling for ages and have done nothing with the amount that have accrued to Nigeria over the years, does it mean Britain should be the one to control Nigeria resources then? does it make sense?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dariye, Nyame: You Squashed Putrid Egg Against Our Faces, Soyinka Hits Buhari / Procurement Is The Nigeria's Weakest Link- Kachikwu / PDP Rejects Soremekun As Ondo INEC Chief, Alleges Plot To Rig Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.