Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,792 members, 7,862,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 09:01 PM

Help A Budding Rice Farmer - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help A Budding Rice Farmer (236 Views)

Minimum Wage 'wahala' Would You Blame This Farmer? (pix) / Rice Farmer Is Needed In Ibadan / Blind & Deaf Rice Farmer In Taraba With A Paralysed Left Hand (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help A Budding Rice Farmer by rafel0(m): 3:05am On Jan 22, 2021
For some certain reasons (profit included) I want to venture into commercial agriculture but I like to call it farming.

I'm pretty young and still a student in his final year.

So, I've thought about planting Onions, Pepper, Tomatoes but I wasn't really satisfied with their effects on the accessibility of food to the masses.

After going through some threads in the NFL agriculture forum, I became interested in rice farming.

The issue is, I know little to nothing about agriculture especially about Rice farming but thanks to NL agriculture section, I've learnt some few terms and lessons.

So, I plan to start a rice farm in OYO/IBADAN and I'd need a lot of information about it.

for most of my sojourn, I'd hire farm workers. I'd appreciate answers to these questions.

Is Ibadan a good place for rice farming?

What variety of rice would you recommend? (especially for the aforementioned location)

What farming practices would you recommend?

When is it best to plant rice?

Does the land necessarily have to swampy?

What kind of pests should I be expecting and how do I fight them?

How much fertilizers will I be needing per hectare?

Aside from pests, what other challenges will I encounter?

To get 100 bags of rice per harvest, how much land do I need?

In fact, I'd love to know all there is to rice farming.
Re: Help A Budding Rice Farmer by Nigerfine3: 3:44am On Jan 22, 2021
I don’t think Ibadan is good for rice , ilesha towards ondo and Lagos are the places I know are good in the west
Re: Help A Budding Rice Farmer by Mide3367: 6:56am On Jan 22, 2021
Osogbo, ogbomoso is good too
Re: Help A Budding Rice Farmer by ikelords(m): 7:21am On Jan 22, 2021
Go through my thread on rice farm, anything you don't understand, feel free to ask your questions.

1 Like

Re: Help A Budding Rice Farmer by rafel0(m): 3:46pm On Jan 23, 2021
ikelords:
Go through my thread on rice farm, anything you don't understand, feel free to ask your questions.

Your post was part of my inspiration, I still spend time there.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Going On In Oyo, Why The 2nd Highest Inflation State In Nigeria / Cockerel For Sale At Ikorodu / Don't Farm Without Using Ag-zyme Fertilizer Booster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.