Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Errors To Avoid In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Errors To Avoid In English (198 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Some Common Errors In English. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Errors To Avoid In English by Ohteebee(f): 11:30am On Jan 22, 2021
Sometimes, I think it's only God that can explain the use of I'm and Am to people.

But then, let me quickly address the use of those two words in the simplest form I know.

I'm is the short form of "I am"
Am is different from I am.

Instead of explaining what part of speech they are, let us just check out the usage.

(I realize people remember examples more than explanations)

I'm your friend ✔️
Am your friend ❌

I think I'm feeling dizzy ✔️
I think am feeling dizzy ❌

I'm the best version of me ✔️
Am the best version of me❌

These examples � indicates that, you don't use "am" in sentences that requires "I am".
Since "I'm" is the short form of "I am", then that is what you should use.
If you don't understand which short form to use, please use the words "I am" and avoid blunders.

___

Am I your friend? ✔️
I'm I your friend? ❌

Am I to pay the fees? ✔️
I'm I to pay the fees? ❌

Am I leaving with the boys? ✔️
I'm i leaving with the boys? ❌

These examples � explains that, "am" is used to start sentences that are questions. Using "I'm" in a sentence like "I'm I your friend?" Is like saying "I am I your friend?" Which is wrong.

Study these examples, learn the use by heart.

Feel free to ask questions, and also drop your contributions and/or corrections.
Re: Errors To Avoid In English by Anfield247(m): 6:29pm On Jan 31, 2021
Ohteebee, how are you doing? Well, I am really impressed by your write up, keep it up!
Re: Errors To Avoid In English by Barby8: 6:44pm On Jan 31, 2021
Nice ! Amazing info

(1) (Reply)

OAU Announces 2020 Post UTME Screening Exercise Date / Please Who Can Solve This Primary Four Quantitative / FEC Approves 20 Private Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.