Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? (23327 Views)

According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. / Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? / English Is A Language Not A Measure Of Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by StylesX: 6:42pm On Dec 17, 2018
I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by LuvSwollenPussy(m): 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2018
Intelligence dey different types. Book intelligence is different from common sense, common sense is different from being sensitive...all controlled by the brain though. Even d book intelligence is subdivided. A linguistic student can be good in speaking English but olodo in maths or chemistry.

However if you find a lady who's a legend in her field, its most likely she'll have the kind of intelligence that makes a complementary wife bcus intelligence is not only hereditary, it's also borne of deep thoughts which many women lack.

Like most times in sch, while you see the guys sitting with their assignments by themselves, the ladies are always hopping from one guy to the other..."pls come help me do my assignment"..that's what you'll hear usually. You hardly find a do-it-yourself girl who does her stuffs and even help others...dem no dey.

145 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by hibiscus76(f): 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2018
Try fail English in Waec first

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by StylesX: 6:45pm On Dec 17, 2018
hibiscus76:
Try fail English in Waec first
You don't understand me dear, i am the one disagreeing with the notion, i told her English is a measure of intelligence but she is disagreeing, maybe she can't speak English too.

8 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by yungEX(m): 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2018
StylesX:
You don't understand me dear, i am the one disagreeing with the notion, i told her English is a measure of intelligence but she is disagreeing, maybe she can't speak English too.
Fuency in English language is not conclusive of intelligence. Not everyone that speaks English fluently Is intelligent. Also not every one who does not speak English language fluently is dull.

152 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by MJBOLT: 6:49pm On Dec 17, 2018
English Is not a measure of intelligence

47 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by MissRaine69(f): 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2018
StylesX:
I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.
Being able to speak English is NOT a measure of intelligence. There are whole countries were English is not spoken at all and they have space programmes and very intelligent beings there. Thinking it is a measure of intelligence is a throw back to a colonial past that made us subservient to our own capabilities.

225 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:08pm On Dec 17, 2018
While English language is not a measure of intelligence, it is expected that one who is educated in Nigeria should have good command or average command of the language considering that it is both the language of business and the language of teaching/learning.

That said, a university graduate with terrible command of English language cannot be said to be intelligent, if she/he was, she/he wouldn't have terrible command of the language.

Thank You

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Lonestar124: 7:19pm On Dec 17, 2018
StylesX:
And I put it to you English is not a measure intelligence.

Do you know English is a people language just like Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa?...An imposed English language can't be measure of intellectual to a any non-english person..Go to any English owned countries like Britain and others you'll highly discover an English man that speak fluent english but is completely intact with empty illogical Brain.I'm still waiting for when an average English man will be teach Igbo language and he'll write and speak it impeccably to the affirmation of slavery metalized blacks like one of you....no insult just my opinion.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Shugavee(f): 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
While English language is not a measure of intelligence, it is expected that one who is educated in Nigeria should have good command or average command of the language considering that it is both the language of business and the language of teaching.

That said, a university graduate with terrible command of English language cannot be said to be intelligent, if she/he was, she/he wouldn't have terrible command of the language.

Thank You
reason for this thread!! English has nothing to do with intelligence. It’s a misguided misconception that needs to change.. English is not our mother tongue .

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by qwertyboss(m): 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2018
All I see here is a wide misconception of the word " measure " with respect to connotation.

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 17, 2018
Most people say English isnt a measurement of intelligence, well that's their opinion. Personally, i equate people style of enunciation to match thier level of intelligence quotient, I never get it wrong when i put you in a category of IQ range using your communication skill.

Here is the logic.

The more you read or get exposed to more vocabulary, you learn more words to easily express yourself. Which is in great contrast to people who weren't exposed to too many vocabulary hence, it gets difficult to express themselves and this often leads to conflict, misjudgement or even trouble because you lack the capability to express yourself due to few words in your brain.

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2018
Shugavee:
reason for this thread!! English has nothing to do with intelligence. It’s a misguided misconception that needs to change.. English is not our mother tongue .
Were you taught tenses, grammar, comprehension, writing etc in your native language? NO

Was your organisation education done in your native language? NO

Is your native language the language of business in Nigeria? NO

So having terrible command of the English language is a pointer that the person isn't intelligent.

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Apina(m): 7:40pm On Dec 17, 2018
Nope. English is just 1 language out of over 1000 languages undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Ranchhoddas: 7:47pm On Dec 17, 2018
aaronson:
Most people say English isnt a measurement of intelligence, well that's their opinion. Personally, i equate people style of enunciation to match thier level of intelligence quotient, I never get it wrong when i put you in a category of IQ range using your communication skill.

Here is the logic.

The more you read or get exposed to more vocabulary, you learn more words to easily express yourself. Which is in great contrast to people who weren't exposed to too many vocabulary hence, it gets difficult to express themselves and this often leads to conflict, misjudgement or even trouble because you lack the capability to express yourself due to few words in your brain.

Thank you for saving me the stress. Leave those people saying English is just a language as if in French or Spanish-speaking countries, inability to properly express yourself in a language which is supposed to be your first language will not be a problem.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Ranchhoddas: 7:49pm On Dec 17, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Were you taught tenses, grammar, comprehension, writing isn't etc in your native language? NO

Is your native language language of business in Nigeria? NO

So having terrible command of the English language is a pointer that the person isn't intelligent.

Thank you. Nigerian youths must have the lowest collective IQ in the world. Simple thing dem no fit understand.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by babyfaceafrica: 7:52pm On Dec 17, 2018
aaronson:

Here is the logic.

I disagree... are you implying that a man who spent most of his life in the village and speaks no word of English is unintelligent?.... I have seen dull people who speak.impeccable English....but apart from their proficiency in English, na fufu full their head.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
I disagree... are you implying that a man who spend most of his life in the village and speaks no word of English is unintelligent?.... I have seen dull people who speak.impeccable English....but apart from their proficiency in English, na fufu full their head.
well, let me admit this but usually its few and mostly the female gender, these set of people has the ability to adapt if you care to get them to learn because they already know the basics which facilitates learning and quick understanding and what is that basic? Good communication skill.

4 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by sykeng(m): 8:50pm On Dec 17, 2018
English can never be a yardstick for intelligence, what of those in the village that never attended any formal education, the way you handle things around you, one can tell if you are intelligent or not, even if you are a farmer or a fisher man you can always tell, there are some excellent speakers that still come to me ( average) for help on highly intellectual matters, if English is a measure of intelligence, then most slay queens would be glad.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by tee59(f): 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2018
This is interesting. Good .

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 17, 2018
Lonestar124:

Do you know English is a people language just like Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa?...An imposed English language can't be measure of intellectual to a any non-english person..Go to any English owned countries like Britain and others you'll highly discover an English man that speak fluent english but is completely intact with empty illogical Brain.I'm still waiting for when an average English man will be teach Igbo language and he'll write and speak it impeccably to the affirmation of slavery metalized blacks like one of you....no insult just my opinion.

You certainly one of the sane minds on this platform. I liked dz ur comment.

4 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 17, 2018
Lonestar124:

You certainly one of the sane minds on this platform. I liked dz ur comment.

Still weird how the PROGRAMMING could still be this potent on dz 'mental slaves".

Some of our scholars even find it difficult to express themselves in their NATIVE LANGUAGE?? Modern Slavery @ play, I guess

4 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Fash20: 9:53pm On Dec 17, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Were you taught tenses, grammar, comprehension, writing etc in your native language? NO

Is your native language the language of business in Nigeria? NO

This is fallacious

8 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Mizk(f): 9:53pm On Dec 17, 2018
I think if you're intelligent you should be able to know words, piece one and two together and form simple sentences, especially if thats the language they use to teach you in school, everyone can't do that, some can't even remember words so i guess those who can are more intelligent than those who can't, if its easy everyone would be doing it.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by oluwakayode25(m): 10:00pm On Dec 17, 2018
Please if we going by the post of that corper making the rounds, then it is safe to say she isn't intelligent.
First of all,her official language is English, she went to school for 18 years or more and yet she still can't string a proper sentence together...
Secondly, how was her idea passed to her lecturers during exams??
Look, I have a few intelligent guys,way brilliant than me wey dey drop bomb steady when they talk or write simple grammar,but this chicks own is abysmal, its way too poor, look you can't be this poor in English and want people to cut you some slack, we need to get her off our borders...How did she graduate for goodness sake!??

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 17, 2018
Some are even shy to speak der native dialect in public...wtf! We no even like to read anything written in our respective native languages.....the programmin z really STRONG.

Whites will never really respect us until we stop dz foolish copy-copy mentality!

Well, I'm a victim too but mo tin jara mi!!

6 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by obailala(m): 9:14am On Dec 18, 2018
StylesX:
English fluency may not be an established measure of intelligence in the large scheme of things. However, in a country like Nigeria where English isn't our first language and where most people are first exposed to English language in schools, when other yardsticks of measurement are absent, an individuals command of English language can be used as a first pointer to measure the person's intelligence/aptitude.

With regards to the corper girl with the appalling English grammar, I'm sorry to say but she must be dumb. After attending different levels of school for at least 18 years of her life, if she can't still string together a simple decent sentence, or spell simple words correctly, then her aptitude for learning must be very low.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2018
StylesX:
It is never a measure of intelligent.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 18, 2018
LuvSwollenPussy:
Intelligence dey different types. Book intelligence is different from common sense, common sense is different from being sensitive...all controlled by the brain though. Even d book intelligence is subdivided.

Are this really the types of intelligence you could come up with?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by mosefin19(m): 10:16am On Dec 18, 2018
Most of this Chinese people don’t speak English a lot but but they did better than us in almost everything...

There are a lot of country who dont speak English and are ahead of our fucking country who carry English for head

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:18am On Dec 18, 2018
MissRaine69:

Being able to speak English is NOT a measure of intelligence. There are whole countries were English is not spoken at all and they have space programmes and very intelligent beings there. Thinking it is a measure of intelligence is a throw back to a colonial past that made us subservient to our own capabilities.
...countries where...

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lagos School Refused To Admit Our Maid Because She Is Not An Indigene, Man Cries / Nigerian Students In Germany Annual Gathering (Photos) / Pls I Need Help In My Studying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.