Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,559 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

The Carnal Mind - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Carnal Mind (124 Views)

Tthe Carnal Mind Is Enmity Against God, Not Subject To The Law Of God... / Not With Carnal Weapons! / Is Sex In Marriage Carnal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Carnal Mind by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 23, 2021
the Voice in the Wilderness
Series: 04-2021

The Carnal Mind
Tha carnal mind is the natural mind. It is the unregenerate mind. It is the rebellious mind. It is the sinful mind. The bible says that this mind is "enmity against GOD: for it is not subject to the law of GOD" (Romans 8:7).
The carnal mind as will be seen from the bible is synonymous with the sinful nature. It is the mind that we have from birth because we were all conceived in sin (Psalm 51:5). Anyone with this mind will naturally align with what GOD hates. Such a person will be quick to obey the devil by yielding to the intense cravings and desires of the sinful nature. The reason for this is that that person still has the adamic unregenerate nature which is being governed by the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2) or the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4).

The person with a carnal mind is still in the flesh and cannot please GOD. Romans 8:8 says that "they that are in the flesh cannot please GOD." The Scriptures further explains the characteristics of persons who are in the flesh in Galatians 5:19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." You may wish to read more on the characteristics of those who walk in the flesh in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and Romans 1:28-32.

Having looked at what it means to be carnally minded, can someone who professes to be a christian; speak in tongues; prophesy; perform miracles; etc be carnally minded? Brethren, the answer to this question most unfortunately is Yes. This is because there are instances in the bible where persons who profess to be believers still indulge in sinful practices.

The church at Corinth, the bible says in 1 Corinthians 1:7 that this church had every spiritual gift that they needed as they await the coming of the LORD JESUS CHRIST. Inspite of their spiritual giftings, they were carnally minded and manifested the works of the flesh.

In their midst, they had contentions, envyings, strife, factions, alliances etc (1 Corinthians 1:11-12). Paul told these Corinthian brethren that they were carnal (walking in the flesh): 1 Corinthians 3:3-4 "For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal"?

There were still fornicators and adultery practitioners in this church: there were brethren who were sleeping with their father's wife. 1 Corinthians 5:1 "It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife."

There were people filled with pride in this assembly at Corinth: those who have looking down on the have nots (1 Corinthians 11:17-22). Brother Paul would have been so disappointed with these brethren's arrogance that he had to remind them in 1 Corinthians 4:6-7 that whatever they had was given to them ".......that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. 7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Carnal mindedness from the foregoing is deeper than one could imagine. One may still be carnally minded and worldly: the persons confession of christianity and spiritual giftedness nothwithstanding. Spiritual giftings therefore is not a measure of one's spiritual mindedness and walk with GOD. One could still perform miracles, speak in tongues, prophesy cast out demons and may even raise the dead and yet be carnally minded and walk in the flesh.

Our LORD JESUS CHRIST forewarns us about this in Matthew 7:21-23 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

No carnally minded person will inherit the Kingdom of GOD. Romans 8:6 clearly states that "to be carnally minded is death." Romans 8:13 says "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die..." that is anyone who lives by the dictates of the sinful nature shall die. 1 Timothy 5:6 says that "But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth." This passage also applies to a man who lives in pleasure. Let us note that the "death, die, dead" referred to in the above passages refers more to eternal death or condemnation.

As we conclude this message, let us bear in mind that carnal mindedness is not of GOD and will never be. GOD's will for His people is that we be spritually minded. This spiritual mindedness we shall consider in the next message by GOD's grace.

GOD bless you.

@brother Michael Dike

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

People Seem To Have Forgotten Why The Red King Of Babylon Didn't Do This / Fb Live :how To Pray Effectively At Midnight By Apostle Joshua Selmen / Being Cool With The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.