Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,665 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol (26095 Views)

Six Important Powers Every Christian Should Seek From God. / Six Things A Christian Should Never Do - Tunde Korede / 7 Things Every Christian Should Do Every Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Miracle1991: 1:40pm On Jan 24, 2021
harmargedon:
Are you saying Jesus whom you worship is not the true Christ. Because it's clearly written in the Bible that Jesus drank alcohol, not just little, but a whole lot of it.
where was it written?
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Mekas2016(m): 1:46pm On Jan 24, 2021
True
jesusjnr2020:
7 Reasons Why A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol

1. It is misleading and deceptive.

It has the tendency to make people become vulnerable to sin and to fall into temptations.

Proverbs 20:1 (KJV)

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

2. It is addictive.

It's easy to say "take a little", but many who have become addicted to alcohol today didn't start by taking much. And once one becomes addicted to it, it's hard to come out of it. That's how many found themselves trapped today. So don't start what you can't finish.

Isaiah 5:22 (KJV)

Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

3. It impairs people's judgment.

Isaiah 28:7 (KJV)

But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

Proverbs 31:4-5 (KJV)

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

4. It's not meant for the consecrated.

In the church or the House of God in the old testament, it was prohibited for the consecrated.

Leviticus 10:8-10 (KJV)

And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying,
Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;

Ezekiel 44:20-21 (KJV)

Neither shall they shave their heads, nor suffer their locks to grow long; they shall only poll their heads.
Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court.

If that's anything to go by, then every individual in the church or House of God of the new testament is not supposed to take alcohol, since the church ought to be a gathering of priests.

5. It does more harm than good.

Whatever benefits there were of taking alcohol, health experts advise that it's best to avoid taking alcohol at all, because it does more harm than good to one's health. It's not even a necessity to begin with, which makes it even more avoidable.

6. It's a counterfeit intoxicating spirit to the original which is the Spirit of God.

Luke 1:15 (KJV)

For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Ephesians 5:18 (KJV)

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

The above sayings show that they both have a similar function in the respect of intoxication, however alcohol is the counterfeit while the Holy Spirit is the Original. It's actually the lack of the original that makes people go for the counterfeit which is alcohol, but if e no be the Spirit of God, e no fit be like the Spirit of God. Hence the garbage that comes with taking alcohol, because it's the counterfeit and hence of inferior quality when compared to the Original which is the Holy Spirit. That's why the difference was clearly distinguished in those sayings, and the advise not to be drunk with alcohol but with the Spirit of God, because the difference is very clear. Hence every Christian ought to be filled with the Spirit of God and not alcohol. And when one has the Spirit of God, he wouldn't need alcohol for anything, because any good thing alcohol could give to him, the Spirit of God would give him more of it, and even those good things alcohol lacks and cannot give, like the power to heal the sick, cast out devils, raise the dead, cure the lepers etc. So why would a Spirit-filled Christian want to get high on the counterfeit, when he's already got the Original in the person of the Holy Spirit?

7. It causes spiritual drowsiness.

It makes people to fall asleep and not watch as Jesus had commanded us to do, and that would be one of the reasons many would not be prepared and miss the rapture or His second coming.

Luke 21:34 (KJV)

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

Matthew 24:48-51 (KJV)

But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

So let alcohol not be the reason you miss heaven.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by falcon01: 1:48pm On Jan 24, 2021
theenchanter:
Thank God I'm an atheist.
The fools wont get this
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Tecord1(m): 1:49pm On Jan 24, 2021
govomotors:

You nailed the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
i am glad my opinion answered your question.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by ugbanante: 1:50pm On Jan 24, 2021
Brother, i feel sad that you compare two incompatible, incomparable and you concluded base on your one-sided scripture reference.

Please kindly be open minded when you really want to carry a balance analysis about a subject.

Again, your depth of over generalization is something to caution against.
When you deal with the issue of alcohol consumption, you should even know that same is applicable to food consumption; nothing is sin in eating food or drinking in itself, what the bible strongly condemn is gluttony and drunkenness respectively.

My opinion though...

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by pasuma(m): 1:56pm On Jan 24, 2021
Are you sure you really know the bible or just follow what the pastor is telling you mumuly ?

Have you been to nazareth or anywhere in Israel that has a mixture of Christians, Muslim and Jews ?

Just one thing distinguishes the house from each other Vine or grape as you may call it...

Won't say further, ignorant pastors everywhere

NaijaMutant:
Thanks Op. This is scripturally based.

Pls, don't mind all those drunkards quoting you.

They want to justify their actions.

Be sober, be vigilant.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by IMAliyu(m): 2:05pm On Jan 24, 2021
CSTRR:

The alcohol in fruits is not epough to intoxicate.
It is insignificant.

The potential to intoxicate and make addictive is the problem.

The alcohol in palm wine is not the same as the trace alcohol in fruits.

True.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by samx4real(m): 2:05pm On Jan 24, 2021
lereinter:

That's the difficult part

There is nothing difficult there oh.
Just focus on your mind on one or two bottles anytime you go out.

If you have taking two and more are still coming, you must hold your grand not to exceed two bottles.

In short, beer will become tasteless to me after two consecutive bottles. If I manage to finish the third... By the time I enter the fourth, I most start to dey vomit.

I know my gauge already...
So know your gauge and don't exceed it.
Don't rush your alcohol when you are taking it, this will help you understand your system very well especially when you are about exceeding your gauge level.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by theenchanter: 2:06pm On Jan 24, 2021
falcon01:
The fools wont get this
angry
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Bennycollins: 2:08pm On Jan 24, 2021
Shrewd attempt to mock Christians and Christianity!
Now, do you have a brain? But I can't see your brain.
My conclusion? you are brainless since I can't see your brain.
MJBOLT:
grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by nsiba: 2:29pm On Jan 24, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

It has the tendency to make people become vulnerable to sin and to fall into temptations.

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

2. It is addictive.

It's easy to say "take a little", but many who have become addicted to alcohol today didn't start by taking much. And once one becomes addicted to it, it's hard to come out of it. That's how many found themselves trapped today. So don't start what you can't finish.

Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

In the church or the House of God in the old testament, it was prohibited for the consecrated.

Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;

Neither shall they shave their heads, nor suffer their locks to grow long; they shall only poll their heads.

If that's anything to go by, then every individual in the church or House of God of the new testament is not supposed to take alcohol, since the church ought to be a gathering of priests.

Whatever benefits there were of taking alcohol, health experts advise that it's best to avoid taking alcohol at all, because it does more harm than good to one's health. It's not even a necessity to begin with, which makes it even more avoidable.

6. It's a counterfeit intoxicating spirit to the original which is the Spirit of God.

For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

The above sayings show that they both have a similar function in the respect of intoxication, however alcohol is the counterfeit while the Holy Spirit is the Original. It's actually the lack of the original that makes people go for the counterfeit which is alcohol, but if e no be the Spirit of God, e no fit be like the Spirit of God. Hence the garbage that comes with taking alcohol, because it's the counterfeit and hence of inferior quality when compared to the Original which is the Holy Spirit. That's why the difference was clearly distinguished in those sayings, and the advise not to be drunk with alcohol but with the Spirit of God, because the difference is very clear. Hence every Christian ought to be filled with the Spirit of God and not alcohol. And when one has the Spirit of God, he wouldn't need alcohol for anything, because any good thing alcohol could give to him, the Spirit of God would give him more of it, and even those good things alcohol lacks and cannot give, like the power to heal the sick, cast out devils, raise the dead, cure the lepers etc. So why would a Spirit-filled Christian want to get high on the counterfeit, when he's already got the Original in the person of the Holy Spirit?

It makes people to fall asleep and not watch as Jesus had commanded us to do, and that would be one of the reasons many would not be prepared and miss the rapture or His second coming.

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

God bless.

Arrant NANSENSE!
Even Apostle Paul admonished a little alcohol is good for the body, the fact remains anything taking in excess is BAD.
FOOD too is a sin when in excess
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
Total bullshit!! Even the europeans who invented christianity and introduced yous to it still enjoys champaignes and all kinda alcohol. Some Africans are fools.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 24, 2021
It decreases Testosterone in men and at the same time Increases Estrogen which isn't good.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by subcbouy: 2:43pm On Jan 24, 2021
MJBOLT:
grin
Very deep pix.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by subcbouy: 2:46pm On Jan 24, 2021
AntiChristian:
Jesus turns water to wine as the first miracle.

From the context, Na alcoholic wine no be fruit juice o!
It is even grape, strawberry, and co
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Saig: 2:50pm On Jan 24, 2021
harmargedon:
Are you saying Jesus whom you worship is not the true Christ. Because it's clearly written in the Bible that Jesus drank alcohol, not just little, but a whole lot of it.
Which portion of the Bible is that
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by MistarT(m): 2:52pm On Jan 24, 2021
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Ask The Holy Spirit to enlighten you on this, but I assure you, He will never tell you to buy alcohol not to even talk of tasting, please know this, there are many spirits out there but be sure He is the one you adhere to. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by faceland: 2:57pm On Jan 24, 2021
The day I knew alcohol was a drug was when I tried a Russian drink and I could not balance on my own feet. Being that I have tried a few drugs in the past, I sincerely wonder why alcohol was legal. It is absolutely a drug and a very bad and powerful one.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by seunboi(m): 3:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
Deuteronomy 14:25 to 26

Please read for better understanding
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by figure007(m): 3:44pm On Jan 24, 2021
Topmaike007:
why thanking The same God you don't believe?
don't mind the confuse being ,mtcheew
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by harmargedon: 3:49pm On Jan 24, 2021
Saig:
Which portion of the Bible is that
Mathew 11:19, Luke 7:34
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by harmargedon: 3:49pm On Jan 24, 2021
Miracle1991:
where was it written?
Mathew 11:19, Luke 7:34
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by harmargedon: 3:53pm On Jan 24, 2021
God2man2again:

Jesus knew no sin.

2 Corinthians 5:21" For hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him"

that wasn't Jesus talking, it was someone else. The Muslims see Mohammed as a man without sin, so also the Buddhist see Buddha as without sin, but where exactly did Christ himself say I have never committed any sin.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Mummymahdi(f): 4:04pm On Jan 24, 2021
theenchanter:
Thank God I'm an atheist.

Which God are u thanking then?
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by victorazy(m): 4:08pm On Jan 24, 2021
Trueigbo:
Nmaya gbuwe nwanyi obu oru di ya.

Stupid guy grin
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by God2man2again(m): 5:31pm On Jan 24, 2021
harmargedon:
that wasn't Jesus talking, it was someone else. The Muslims see Mohammed as a man without sin, so also the Buddhist see Buddha as without sin, but where exactly did Christ himself say I have never committed any sin.

Harmargedon!

John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Josbreed: 5:42pm On Jan 24, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

2. It is addictive.

God bless.

But why did Deuteronomy 14:25-26 say you can use your tithe to buy EITHER WINE or STRONG DRINK, and drink and make merry? Why did the Bible mention it in THE FIRST PLACE?
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by Firstandonly(m): 5:48pm On Jan 24, 2021
jjmk:
If you can convince me that Jesus did not turn water into wine then I will believe you. Otherwise, keep your opinion to yourself.

All the verses you quoted were verses that talked about drunkenness and its effects.

Gluttony is a sin, so why not ask people to stop eating food because from eating they might be tempted to over eat(gluttony). So I ask again, have you asked people to stop eating food?

Gluttony is a sin but drunkenness is not a sin. Do you follow? If u are drunk and u lie down to sleep without misbehaving or doing what u are not suppose to do, u have not sinned. It is only when u let the alcohol take hold of u and u misbehave before your actions can be termed a sin. But the mere act of over eating the bible calls it a sin.

So I ask u again, which is worse?

Some will say Alcohol destroys your liver so it is bad for you. True. But how that is a sin I don't know.

There are certain foods u eat that destroys some of your vital organs yet no one has said food is bad.

Op, keep your opinion to yourself.
the water Jesus change to wine was called "the good wine", meaning it has no yet undergo fermentation, (non alcoholic) The bad win is that which is fermented (alcoholic)...John 2 vs 10
Re: 7 Reasons A Christian Should Not Take Alcohol by harmargedon: 5:50pm On Jan 24, 2021
God2man2again:

Harmargedon!
sir!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'AI Jesus' Talks Dating, Relationships, Morals — Even Offers Video-gaming Tips / Burial Of Victims Of Ozubulu Catholic Church Shooting (Photos) / Greatest Religion Section Quotes ( sticky)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.