Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? (750 Views)

So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? / A Thread On My Experiment With Reinforcement Learning & Artificial Intelligence. / Join The Andela Learning Community; Powered By Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by Chuky7(m): 4:52pm On Jan 24, 2021
This thread is for sharing what it's like to work at Andela.

This thread is for learning, me included.

I'm interested in their programs but don't really know how to go about it.

and I face certain confusion like what is Andela really, do they teach n SEND you Abroad, someone said it's contract based or short time maybe 6 months.

I do know zuckerberg invested a while back, I think they are the most funded Nigerian tech firm.

or are they elites only?? cause they hardly do promotions like do the common man have access.

so with this I expect a few responses.

I think I know a few guys on here who participated like Philip0906, I follow his writing and others I can't remember their names please feel free to share.
Re: Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by Chuky7(m): 4:53pm On Jan 24, 2021
lalasticlala informative thread please push.
Re: Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2021
They no longer employ junior Devs. There was a time they used to pay people 80k to learnt to code. Once they have finished teaching you they connected you to companies abroad. Unfortunately that business model is unsustainable as a lot of bootcamps abroad are graduating coders so why would they leave their own junior developers and come hire outsiders.

It's only senior Developers there now but they really opened up the ecosystem and got the world to see that Nigeria had a lot of tech talent.
Re: Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by parkervero(m): 5:37pm On Jan 24, 2021
In 2019 I was invited for interview as senior Android dev. But having read about laying off of 400 junior staff prior I was in doubt , I told them to postpone the date by 2 weeks in which they made it a month. I intentionally didn't attend the interview eventually. I think we were two then.

Andela has sponsors; Facebook and another
tech company. It has branches in Nigeria and Kenya, some andela staff in naija do go to Kenya and some other time New York where the headquarters is.

If you look forward to working with them, do visit their website for any role available. I think they hire for some companies within the country not necessarily to work for them directly.

The interview is in 5 stages which I think the first two will be simple.
Re: Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by Karleb(m): 5:48pm On Jan 24, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
They no longer employ junior Devs. There was a time they used to pay people 80k to learnt to code. Once they have finished teaching you they connected you to companies abroad. Unfortunately that business model is unsustainable as a lot of bootcamps abroad are graduating coders so why would they leave their own junior developers and come hire outsiders.

It's only senior Developers there now but they really opened up the ecosystem and got the world to see that Nigeria had a lot of tech talent.

I will disagree with the bolded part.

Facebook invested some cool millions in andela then, that's enough to make tech companies anywhere in the world trust them.

I don't really know what happened to the company after the Facebook million dollar investment though.
Re: Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:46pm On Jan 24, 2021
Karleb:

I will disagree with the bolded part.

Facebook invested some cool millions in andela then, that's enough to make tech companies anywhere in the world trust them.

I don't really know what happened to the company after the Facebook million dollar investment though.
Yeah no one knows but they really helped the ecosystem sha. A lot of the guys who took up the opportunity in andela then are now in Germany and Canada.

1 Like

Re: Thread On What Is It Like At Andela? by TechCapon(m): 9:02pm On Jan 24, 2021
Andela and CChub are the two biggest tech companies in Nigeria, if not in Africa. They are no longer in the business of training young developers which is a shame. Their training is world class. As a result so many poorly funded companies are trying to fill the void thereby lowering the quality. They made the tech industry attractive back then.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CTO Hunt! / App Developer Needed / Newbie Into Data Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.