Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! (1966 Views)

3 Important Things To Do Before Accepting A Job Offer / Important Things You Need To Know Before Accepting A Job Offer In Nigeria / 5 Things To Consider Before Accepting A Job Offer In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 6:17am On Jan 25, 2021
In this part of the world, people are always on the lookout for victims to take advantage of and the general workplace is not excluded, especially now that more people are unemployed or under employed.

In order to avoid being a victim in the workplace, always try to ask questions about any company or organization that offers you employment. The truth is that, no matter how good a company seems on social media or how much Queen's English their CEO or HR person speaks, some of them are crazy places to work.

At Lingo Africa, we have had clients who suffered in their workplaces after resuming work - some of them were deceived into accepting jobs that are meant for three people, others are victims of salary delays.

There was a certain young man who had worked for about seven months, but was only paid for two months, while the HR keeps giving promises and the CEO kept changing cars. At the end of the day, he had to quit the job without ever recovering the salaries they owed him. He did not sue the company because he could not afford a good lawyer to represent him.

Some other workplaces are so good and alluring online (social media), but their workplace is so toxic that if you do not belong to a clique, you can never get anything done and your work never gets appreciated.

To avoid all these, ask questions. Look out for those who have worked there before and ask them what it is like to be a staff of that place. Another way to understand what it is like to work in a slightly bigger company, is to check their reviews on indeed.com

You can also use your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) search icon. Type in the name of the company or organization and look out for comments from people, read what they have to say. Chances are, you might find some candid comments about how they treat staff.

Sometimes, you can take it a step further by sending a direct message to any of those people to find out if they have worked there before, then you can get more information.

Source - Lingo Africa

https://lingoafrica.com/passion-in-early-career-building-is-not-compulsory/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by TANID(m): 8:08am On Jan 25, 2021
OK
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by uzedo1(m): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2021
AbdulAkpan:

At Lingo Africa, we have had clients who suffered in their workplaces after resuming work - some of them were deceived into accepting jobs that are meant for three people, others are victims of salary delays.

There was a certain young man who had worked for about seven months, but was only paid for two months, while the HR keeps giving promises and the CEO kept changing cars. At the end of the day, he had to quit the job without ever recovering the salaries they owed him. He did not sue the company because he could not afford a good lawyer to represent him.

Pure wickedness

1 Like

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by mosdii(m): 9:52am On Jan 25, 2021
Good advice
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by mosdii(m): 9:54am On Jan 25, 2021
anuliecutie do you base in pH?
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by anuliecutie(f): 9:54am On Jan 25, 2021
Very true. Eye opener, this is a good info. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by temmyadex: 3:28pm On Jan 25, 2021
True
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by Emma1Oj(m): 6:08pm On Jan 25, 2021
very true, but the level of desperation of getting job's this days prevent pple from asking questions... because u don't kn what u will ask na dat will disqualify u.

3 Likes

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 8:28pm On Jan 25, 2021
smiley
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by mubbycarthy(m): 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2021
Emma1Oj:
very true, but the level of desperation of getting job's this days prevent pple from asking questions... because u don't kn what u will ask na dat will disqualify u.
Boss,you just spoke my mind...
that was how I went for an interview,I was supposed to meet with the chairman of the hotel but I met the manager Instead. I was really happy I met the manager first cos he told me everything I needed to know about job.
I was told by the recruiter that I would be given accommodation since I stay far and I could negotiate my salary too but fortunately for me the manager called to a private room and made me understand that the chairman was just lying about the accommodation and the salary and he made me promise him that I will not mention anything he just told me to the chairman because he feels I'm supposed to know the truth about the job.
On my way out,I saw the Manager and he told me to wait for him,he came in and we discussed.
I told him about the accommodation and the salary review and he was like that wouldn't be a problem. Me were don know say him dey lie already. I just told him I wasn't interested anymore and I left.

1 Like

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by zedegit: 2:16am On Jan 26, 2021
Emma1Oj:

Some applicants even put themselves in the position of exploitation.

How can you agree to teach 2-4 subjects. Only you, just to be employed.

Some even agree to teach the whole school. Only them, for peanuts.

This crap happens most in education sector.

1 Like

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 5:42am On Jan 26, 2021
zedegit:

My goodness! They will keep exploiting such a person and he or she will not be able to teach properly! What kind of country is this
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by Brunicekid(m): 7:52am On Jan 26, 2021
AbdulAkpan:

My goodness! They will keep exploiting such a person and he or she will not be able to teach properly! What kind of country is this
Yes ooo!
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 8:17am On Jan 26, 2021
cool
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by Emma1Oj(m): 9:29am On Jan 26, 2021
zedegit:

Most or sometimes I don't blame applicant. if some open their mouth and explain their condition to u eh... u will cry for them. I went for one interview invite, one applicant was almost crying and explained to me how she trek from yaba to Adeola odeku in VI.. (in me I was like, no wonder she was sleeping at the reception and looked workout) kai..!! omo, I really felt for her. I have to do the needful for her because I noticed she's the shy type. with all the stress she went through, how can she refuse anything thrown at her.

2 Likes

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by Emma1Oj(m): 9:32am On Jan 26, 2021
mubbycarthy:

Boss,you just spoke my mind...
that was how I went for an interview,I was supposed to meet with the chairman of the hotel but I met the manager Instead. I was really happy I met the manager first cos he told me everything I needed to know about job.
I was told by the recruiter that I would be given accommodation since I stay far and I could negotiate my salary too but fortunately for me the manager called to a private room and made me understand that the chairman was just lying about the accommodation and the salary and he made me promise him that I will not mention anything he just told me to the chairman because he feels I'm supposed to know the truth about the job.
On my way out,I saw the Manager and he told me to wait for him,he came in and we discussed.
I told him about the accommodation and the salary review and he was like that wouldn't be a problem. Me were don know say him dey lie already. I just told him I wasn't interested anymore and I left.
na wa o.. pple and deception.
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 12:23pm On Jan 26, 2021
undecided
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by zedegit: 1:05pm On Jan 26, 2021
Emma1Oj:
Most or sometimes I don't blame applicant. if some open their mouth and explain their condition to u eh... u will cry for them. I went for one interview invite, one applicant was almost crying and explained to me how she trek from yaba to Adeola odeku in VI.. (in me I was like, no wonder she was sleeping at the reception and looked workout) kai..!! omo, I really felt for her. I have to do the needful for her because I noticed she's the shy type. with all the stress she went through, how can she refuse anything thrown at her.

Needful? You offered her a job or what?
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by Emma1Oj(m): 7:53am On Jan 27, 2021
zedegit:

Needful? You offered her a job or what?
omo c question ooo...⁉️ how can someone that went for interview offer someone who came for same interview a job...if I catch u eh...
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by zedegit: 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2021
Emma1Oj:
omo c question ooo...⁉️ how can someone that went for interview offer someone who came for same interview a job...if I catch u eh...

grin grin

Abeg o. Your swag been dey tell me you are the boss.

That's why I reason am so.

What did you do for her nah abi to her?

You never offload your tori.

1 Like

Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2021
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 6:46am On Jan 28, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 12:11pm On Feb 01, 2021
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by Raymeskey: 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2021
AbdulAkpan:
In this part of the world, people are always on the lookout for victims to take advantage of and the general workplace is not excluded, especially now that more people are unemployed or under employed.

In order to avoid being a victim in the workplace, always try to ask questions about any company or organization that offers you employment. The truth is that, no matter how good a company seems on social media or how much Queen's English their CEO or HR person speaks, some of them are crazy places to work.

Some other workplaces are so good and alluring online (social media), but their workplace is so toxic that if you do not belong to a clique, you can never get anything done and your work never gets appreciated.

To avoid all these, ask questions. Look out for those who have worked there before and ask them what it is like to be a staff of that place. Another way to understand what it is like to work in a slightly bigger company, is to check their reviews on indeed.com

You can also use your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) search icon. Type in the name of the company or organization and look out for comments from people, read what they have to say. Chances are, you might find some candid comments about how they treat staff.

Sometimes, you can take it a step further by sending a direct message to any of those people to find out if they have worked there before, then you can get more information.

Source - Lingo Africa

https://lingoafrica.com/passion-in-early-career-building-is-not-compulsory/

What about those that doesn't give an appointment letter?

Should we reject the offer? mind you, we have nothing
Re: Before Accepting Job Offers, Ask Questions! by AbdulAkpan: 1:30pm On Feb 01, 2021
Raymeskey:

What about those that doesn't give an appointment letter?

Should we reject the offer? mind you, we have nothing

Accept the offer. As you start working, use all the available resources that the job gives you and pursue a job where you can be given an appointment letter and a better offer. You deserve it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hope You Find These Useful / Navy Shortlisted Name Is Out / Ceh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.