Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,494 members, 7,836,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem (1468 Views)

BIODIGESTER SOAKAWAY, No More Evacuation, Testimonial Already / No More Soakaway For Your Building / Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by winta2008: 3:53pm On Jan 30, 2021
Hello House,

We digged septic tank and Soakaway for 6 flats. 3 flats with one septic tank, the other flat with one Septic Tank. And one central Soakaway and we channeled the bathroom and kitchen water to the Soakaway. Within 6 months. The two septic tank Got Filled and the Soakaway. After, we discharged the Septic Tank. We disconnected, the bathroom and kitchen water of 4 flats. But, to my surprise. Within 4 months the septic tank got Filled again.

What could be the problem?
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 30, 2021
winta2008:
Hello House,

We digged septic tank and Soakaway for 6 flats. 3 flats with one septic tank, the other flat with one Septic Tank. And one central Soakaway and we channeled the bathroom and kitchen water to the Soakaway. Within 6 months. The two septic tank Got Filled and the Soakaway. After, we discharged the Septic Tank. We disconnected, the bathroom and kitchen water of 4 flats. But, to my surprise. Within 4 months the septic tank got Filled again.

Divert the bathroom and kitchen pipes directly to the external drainage (gutters), not the soakaway. Bathroom and kitchen water from six flats can be a considerable quantity, and if your land is the waterlogged type, the water might not drain away fast enough.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by Janesouthall: 4:59pm On Jan 30, 2021
winta2008:
Hello House,

In the first place... Sockaway is for shit... Not for bathroom and kitchen water... Bathroom and kitchen pipes should be chanelled to the gutter..

The problem here is the connections of the pipe... Reconnect them all again putting the ones meant for sockaway.... And the ones meant for gutter...

One other thing is check if the sockaway is floored at the base... Some people tend to leave the base like that thinking the water will soak into the ground.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by olukaygold(m): 7:41pm On Jan 30, 2021
What's the size of the soakaway?
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by winta2008: 7:47pm On Jan 30, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Divert the bathroom and kitchen pipes directly to the external drainage (gutters), not the soakaway. Bathroom and kitchen water from six flats can be a considerable quantity, and if your land is the waterlogged type, the water might not drain away fast enough.

No Gutter in the area.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by winta2008: 8:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
Janesouthall:

In the first place... Sockaway is for shit... Not for bathroom and kitchen water... Bathroom and kitchen pipes should be chanelled to the gutter..

The problem here is the connections of the pipe... Reconnect them all again putting the ones meant for sockaway.... And the ones meant for gutter...

One other thing is check if the sockaway is floored at the base... Some people tend to leave the base like that thinking the water will soak into the ground.

It was a mistake. It is septic tank.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by winta2008: 8:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
olukaygold:
What's the size of the soakaway?

6 feet by 7 feet deep.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by olukaygold(m): 8:14pm On Jan 30, 2021
winta2008:

6 feet by 7 feet deep.
The soakaway is too small to serve the six flats
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by rotecch77(m): 10:09pm On Jan 30, 2021
winta2008:

6 feet by 7 feet deep.

70-80pec do get it wrong by introducing suckaway system to water lodge area, how do you expect the water to drain into the soil, when the water table there is btw 1-2ft
It can never work.
A real building professionals know what to do.
In such situation.
Let me just brief it, the system suitable for such an area is called CESSPOOLS
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 30, 2021
winta2008:

No Gutter in the area.

Where does the street drainage go?
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by winta2008: 11:41am On Jan 31, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Where does the street drainage go?

Rain Water do go at the main road.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by nativedoctor(m): 12:27pm On Jan 31, 2021
Where is the house located? Is it in a marshy/ water logged area? If so it's possible that the Septic tank has a leak either in the floor slab or a stress crack in the walls. This will allow ground water and and quickly fill it up. Here the solution is to evacuate it and locate the cracks and treat with a waterproofing membrane and replaster. It's a very difficult and sometimes expensive process. Most of the time has a 50/50 chance of success. There's a company in Lagos that specializes in waterproofing but they are not cheap at all.

Also water from the bathroom, and kitchen should not go into the Septic tank.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by winta2008: 12:31pm On Jan 31, 2021
nativedoctor:
Where is the house located? Is it in a marshy/ water logged area? If so it's possible that the Septic tank has a leak either in the floor slab or a stress crack in the walls. This will allow ground water and and quickly fill it up. Here the solution is to evacuate it and locate the cracks and treat with a waterproofing membrane and replaster. It's a very difficult and sometimes expensive process. Most of the time has a 50/50 chance of success. There's a company in Lagos that specializes in waterproofing but they are not cheap at all.

Also water from the bathroom, and kitchen should not go into the Septic tank.

There is no gutter system in the area and when we channeled it to the mainroad. The thing was smelling.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 31, 2021
winta2008:

Rain Water do go at the main road.

If there are gutters on the main road, connect to them.

If not, I don't know what to say again. It's like your whole area needs solutions not just your block of flats. You could tell the flat inmates to go bath, and wash their clothes and plates in the nearest stream instead of at home.
Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by step16(m): 12:41pm On Jan 31, 2021
Leaking ,it has to be fixed with our waterproofingchemicals, that's what we do.....done for both residentialandCommercial building
winta2008:
Hello House,

Re: I Am Tired Of This Soakaway Problem by nativedoctor(m): 3:57pm On Jan 31, 2021
step16:
Leaking ,it has to be fixed with our waterproofingchemicals, that's what we do.....done for both residentialandCommercial building
Please share your contact. I have 2 houses that have the same Septic tank problem.

(1) (Reply)

4-bedroom Bungalow For Sale In GRA Benin City / For:rent 3 Bedroom Flat @ Sparklight Estate.opic / Twin Duplex On 1 & 1/2 Plots Of Land @ Oyinadejobi Cresent Anthony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.