Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery (1341 Views)

Coca-cola And Football: From Ronaldo’s Rejection To Messi’s Addiction / I'm Suffering From Gambling Addiction What Can I Do / Messi Hits Out At Referee, Says 'He Does It On Purpose' As Argentina Struggles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 12:54am On Feb 02, 2021
Where do I even start?

I opened this thread to document my gambling addiction and how I plan to overcome it.

I started gambling around 2015. It started as fun until I got addicted to it. Prior to this addiction, I was very good with money and saved the little I had then but it has been hard saving money since I was introduced to betting.

I have tried to stop gambling like four times now but I found myself going back to it. I have taken the final decision to stop now and done the following;

1. Sent emails to the customer care agents of all betting website I bet on to block my accounts.
2. Installed "gamban" on my phone to prevent access to all betting websites/application.
3. Deleted all betting applications including flashscore from my phone.
4. Unfollow all accounts on social media that post or tweet about betting or sports.
5. Open a target piggyvest account to improve my saving culture.
6. Talking to someone about my addiction. I have chosen Nairaland for this. Hence, this thread.
7. I am currently searching for a healthy hobby or activity to replace gambling. I read somewhere that the faster way to overcoming gambling is by replacing with a healthy hobby or activity. Please recommend if you know any.

I will update this thread with my progress every other day. I pray for the Lord's strength and grace on this journey cry.

I posted this here because I believe there are people here who are struggling with the same addiction. We can start this journey together.

This is my Day 1.

1 Like

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by OyigboUpdate: 1:05am On Feb 02, 2021
grin grin grin
Chai. Just play when there is a good game.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by tyup(m): 1:13am On Feb 02, 2021
I really do wonder why people get used to this thing. I remember getting introduced to this betting my biggest won was 125k then after which gave me ginger to keep playing, I kept playing until I started loosing and when I saw I was loosing up to 15k out of the money without no win I kuku delete the App and stopped gambling for good
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 1:18am On Feb 02, 2021
tyup:
I really do wonder why people get used to this thing. I remember getting introduced to this betting my biggest won was 125k then after which gave me ginger to keep playing, I kept playing until I started loosing and when I saw I was loosing up to 15k out of the money without no win I kuku delete the App and stopped gambling for good
Honestly, I wish I could be like you. I have lost so much money and have been chasing my losses since and in the process losing more money. I have exhausted my savings, even borrowed sef cry.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 1:19am On Feb 02, 2021
OyigboUpdate:
grin grin grin
Chai. Just play when there is a good game.
My brother, that is what has been taking me back to gambling and losing more money. I can't do that anymore.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by MickzyDonald: 2:09am On Feb 02, 2021
Gambling doesn't ruin

1 Share

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by OyigboUpdate: 3:04am On Feb 02, 2021
biggieman1:

My brother, that is what has been taking me back to gambling and losing more money. I can't do that anymore.

U should have a standard. At the end of January I opened my bet9ja cashier. Guess what I have withdrawn more than I've put.
If I tell u how much I've won this December and January.
Learn not to make it a habit.

Play only when you have a strong feeling on a team. Most importantly play for fun.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Akanimoh113(m): 5:44am On Feb 02, 2021
MickzyDonald:
Gambling doesn't ruin
Wow...
Amazing grin
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by paulolee(m): 6:21am On Feb 02, 2021
to me Gambling is bea when u use ur head
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Lakayyyy(m): 8:45am On Feb 02, 2021
biggieman1:
Where do I even start?

I opened this thread to document my gambling addiction and how I plan to overcome it.

I started gambling around 2015. It started as fun until I got addicted to it. Prior to this addiction, I was very good with money and saved the little I had then but it has been hard saving money since I was introduced to betting.

I have tried to stop gambling like four times now but I found myself going back to it. I have taken the final decision to stop now and done the following;

1. Sent emails to the customer care agents of all betting website I bet on to block my accounts.
2. Installed "gamban" on my phone to prevent access to all betting websites/application.
3. Deleted all betting applications including flashscore from my phone.
4. Unfollow all accounts on social media that post or tweet about betting or sports.
5. Open a target piggyvest account to improve my saving culture.
6. Talking to someone about my addiction. I have chosen Nairaland for this. Hence, this thread.
7. I am currently searching for a healthy hobby or activity to replace gambling. I read somewhere that the faster way to overcoming gambling is by replacing with a healthy hobby or activity. Please recommend if you know any.

I will update this thread with my progress every other day. I pray for the Lord's strength and grace on this journey cry.

I posted this here because I believe there are people here who are struggling with the same addiction. We can start this journey together.

This is my Day 1.

Well done...you have taken the first step,don’t look back,you can do it.

1 Like

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by MIRACLES23(m): 9:57am On Feb 02, 2021
Everything in life is about planning. I can bet some money that you have never used the Google sheets before as shown below.
This is my January betting journey. You can see that I didn't make much profit. That was just to test run the strategy.
You can't just go and be using 100 to win 100k and you expect to win.
Lower your expectations and discipline yourself.

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 11:43am On Feb 02, 2021
Lakayyyy:

Well done...you have taken the first step,don’t look back,you can do it.
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 11:45am On Feb 02, 2021
MickzyDonald:
Gambling doesn't ruin
I thought so initially. I hope when you lose, you don't start chasing losses because I did. Now I just want to stop. They can keep my losses. This is acceptance stage for me.

1 Like

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 11:50am On Feb 02, 2021
MIRACLES23:
Everything in life is about planning. I can bet some money that you have never used the Google sheets before as shown below.
This is my January betting journey. You can see that I didn't make much profit. That was just to test run the strategy.
The answer is No, I have not used Google sheets like this. I have tried all. Staked high on low odds and and low on high odds.

I have lost millions to gambling. I have no interest anymore. I am focused on stopping now.

1 Like

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Movich17(m): 12:48pm On Feb 02, 2021
MIRACLES23:
er u playing game of 200 naira to win 800? Wow
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Thompz43(m): 3:24pm On Feb 02, 2021
Gamble is fun
Gamble ruins
Gamble is risks
It all depends on your strategy and desires, you remember the rules of gamble, don't bet what you can't afford to loss.
As for me I have a strategy that am working on that's why I don't see it as a gamble...
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 02, 2021
biggieman1:

Honestly, I wish I could be like you. I have lost so much money and have been chasing my losses since and in the process losing more money. I have exhausted my savings, even borrowed sef cry.
i started betting around 2015 also, bro the day someone stops betting then life becomes meaning. There is no such thing as being discipline in betting.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 5:33pm On Feb 02, 2021
Thompz43:
Gamble is fun
Gamble ruins
Gamble is risks
It all depends on your strategy and desires, you remember the rules of gamble, don't bet what you can't afford to loss.
As for me I have a strategy that am working on that's why I don't see it as a gamble...
Maybe there is a strategy. For me, I have accepted my losses and ready to let go.

1 Like

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 5:46pm On Feb 02, 2021
novice22:
i started betting around 2015 also, bro the day someone stops betting then life becomes meaning. There is no such thing as being discipline in betting.
Yes o. There is no such thing as being discipline in betting. It leads to addiction most of the time. That was what happened in my own case.

2 Likes

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 02, 2021
biggieman1:

Yes o. There is no such thing as being discipline in betting. It leads to addiction most of the time. That was what happened in my own case.
pls dont listen to anybody telling u to take betting as an investment because in the long run the house always win. Betting is like someone chasing the wind. Believe me bro, i hve been there....it is the surest way of getting nothing with something.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by MIRACLES23(m): 6:28pm On Feb 02, 2021
biggieman1:

The answer is No, I have not used Google sheets like this. I have tried all. Staked high on low odds and and low on high odds.

I have lost millions to gambling. I have no interest anymore. I am focused on stopping now.
Better you stop it now since you can't follow the rules.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by tosyne2much(m): 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2021
novice22:
pls dont listen to anybody telling u to take betting as an investment because in the long run the house always win. Betting is like someone chasing the wind. Believe me bro, i hve been there....it is the surest way of getting nothing with something.
That's true bro

No can't live on betting only.. It will only make one's life miserable

Don't be mislead or misguided by those who keep saying they have the secrets to always beat the bookies

And another thing to note is that, some people are not lucky with bets no matter how much they minimize their risk
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by tosyne2much(m): 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2021
biggieman1:

You will start experiencing a peaceful and less frustrating life the day you put an end to betting addiction and you stick to your decision

1 Like

Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by biggieman1: 2:21am On Feb 04, 2021
tosyne2much:
You will start experiencing a peaceful and less frustrating life the day you put an end to betting addiction and you stick to your decision
I agree. The last two days have been peaceful. I have intentionally block all sport handles on every social media platform that I use. The urge to bet has reduced drastically.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 04, 2021
tosyne2much:
100% factual!.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Vecto(m): 5:27pm On Feb 12, 2021
MIRACLES23:

Which app is this? I need something like this so i can keep records.
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by MIRACLES23(m): 5:43pm On Feb 12, 2021
Vecto:

It's Google sheets
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 12, 2021
biggieman1:

I agree. The last two days have been peaceful. I have intentionally block all sport handles on every social media platform that I use. The urge to bet has reduced drastically.
bro... how far?
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by InvestingExpert(m): 9:16pm On Feb 12, 2021
check out my black book guide

download link below
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by InvestingExpert(m): 9:19pm On Feb 12, 2021
Vecto:

I recommend you check out my ebook in it I'll show you how to keep betting records what to record and what not to record and the best apps to keep your betting records with
download link below
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by BarclaysV(m): 11:05pm On Feb 12, 2021
btc needed asap
Re: My Struggles With Gambling Addiction And Road To Recovery by TangoPredict(f): 10:55am On Feb 13, 2021
Nice one, when the fun stops then you should stop playing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

1.8 To 2+ Odds Singles Tips / Chelsea Puzzle / Marion Jones Former Sprinter Released From Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.