Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,508 members, 7,816,230 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) (44361 Views)

Policemen Who Assaulted Tola Azeez Dismissed In Osun / Tola Azeez Flogged By Policemen On Her Way To Get Drugs & Some Relief Materials / Tola Azeez: Police Officers Who Flogged A Woman Yesterday In Osun Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by adedayourt(m): 11:26am On Feb 03, 2021
It is one thing to be awarded, it is another to be paid.

This is Nigeria
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by pacespot(m): 11:27am On Feb 03, 2021
How would they enforce the judgement, the law enforcements are also the police?

1 Like

Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Omezif(m): 11:28am On Feb 03, 2021
her tears are truly being wiped.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by bluebay(m): 11:28am On Feb 03, 2021
I need 3-8 police men to flog me then 2 lawyers available then 2 camera men to video the scene. 5million involved

1 Like

Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by slimjohn2k5: 11:28am On Feb 03, 2021
I'm more interested in the credit alert
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Femeto: 11:29am On Feb 03, 2021
I hope she see the money collect. This country na wa.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 03, 2021
It's one thing for the judge to pass the judgment.

It's another thing for Nigerian Police to pay the damages
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by tomju(m): 11:30am On Feb 03, 2021
Mourinho24:
HOW SOON WLL THE LADY GET THIS MONEY?
Not long. If they refused to pay, her lawyer can get a garnishee order from court and freeze their account. Until they pay, it can't be removed.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Kingrefreshed: 11:31am On Feb 03, 2021
Despirado121:
Lady Assaulted By Policemen During COVID-19 Lockdown Awarded N5m In Damages

The Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo, on
Monday, February 1, awarded N5 million damages against the Nigeria Police Force and the Inspector General of Police over the abuse of a woman, Tola Azeez, in Osun State, Igbere TV reports.

A video of the officers assaulting the young lady went viral in April 2020. Tola was walking along Odo Ori Market in Iwo, to buy a drug for a relative when the officers who were enforcing the lockdown, descended on her, flogging her mercilessly with their whips.

The state police command identified and arrested the erring officers, Ikuesan Taiwo, an inspector and Abass Ibrahim, a corporal.

To protest the assault, a fundamental human right enforcement suit was filed by a lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, on behalf of Ms Azeez.

The police counsel, F.B Osei, argued that Messrs Taiwo and Ibrahim were agents of the Nigeria Police Force, and that the Nigeria Police Force and the Inspector General of Police could not be held liable for the acts and omission of its officers.

This was countered by Mr Olajensgbesi who said the officers carried out the assault during an official assignment as agents of the police force.

While delivering judgement on the case on Monday, the presiding judge, Justice Ayo Emmanuel, resolved the matter in favour of the applicant. He held that the actions of the offending officers in the discharge of their official duties as agents of the police amounted to an infringement of the Fundamental Right to Dignity of Ms Azeez, a liability the Nigeria Police Force must shoulder.

He then awarded the sum of N5 million as aggravated and general damages against the police.

Tola also took to her Twitter handle to react to the judgement.

https://twitter.com/fabhally/status/1356191857894678529?s=19

It still baffles me how people trust Nigerian Government and their words.

You will grow gray hair waiting for the money
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Godson201333(m): 11:31am On Feb 03, 2021
Hmm I just hope many Nigerians won't start waiting for police officers to flog them..
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Rugaria: 11:31am On Feb 03, 2021
Do they normally pay all these monies awarded to individuals by the courts?
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by pennyland(m): 11:31am On Feb 03, 2021
IAM still in Nigeria or am dreaming, that a judiciary arms of government recognized an ordinary Nigeria
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by ForwardEver0000: 11:32am On Feb 03, 2021
Good to see
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by KosiGee(m): 11:35am On Feb 03, 2021
SmartPolician:
Who will pay the money? Nigeria's police? I laugh in Japanese.

If the police has to pay her 5 million, the force will just fire everyone in that station or give them 2-week deadline to repay the money into police coffers.

I just pity the motorists in that area if the authorities settle for the second option.

cheesy grin grin cheesy grin

I concur...I will advice that all the motorists, keke drivers, okada riders and all the citizens in that area convene and emergency meeting. The N5m need to be reduced to maybe N1m or N500k because las las police will tax and extort their money back with profit.

This woman should not rejoice yet till the money enters her account.

1 Like

Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by CalmElder(m): 11:37am On Feb 03, 2021
If only I can sue MTN.
Thieves!
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Badgers14: 11:38am On Feb 03, 2021
Some people will now to wishing to be flogged by the police so they will collect 5m grin grin
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Coldie(m): 11:39am On Feb 03, 2021
If Nigeria you can sue police force for this kind of things them no go dae mumu
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Sonnobax15(m): 11:39am On Feb 03, 2021
cheesy
Baba God,any flog wey go lead to my blessings,abeg I go like collect am now now...
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Em5(m): 11:42am On Feb 03, 2021
Kriss216:
Would take the Police centuries to pay the fine.

They done pay am finish. Nigeria is not that lawless.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 03, 2021
Business has landed! All it takes is for a few policemen to come together, get a civilian, assault him on camera, push the civilian to sue the police, get damages awarded, and share the proceeds. Good times for policemen.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Dcoy: 11:43am On Feb 03, 2021
That's the easiest way to reform the police force in Nigeria, let's get evidence of brutality and go to court, if they pay fine tire,, they will reform themselves
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Unrated900(m): 11:44am On Feb 03, 2021
Mourinho24:
HOW SOON WLL THE LADY GET THIS MONEY?

Why are you so concerned about her money

Is it your money
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by robosky02(m): 11:48am On Feb 03, 2021
We all stood for you abi?

Oya share the money too

Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Advancedman(m): 11:53am On Feb 03, 2021
Kriss216:
Would take the Police centuries to pay the fine.

They would be immediately but the officers shall work without pay for the rest of their life.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by lanchy: 11:53am On Feb 03, 2021
Ok, she has received damages, next step is for the two police officers to now be charged with the criminal offenses of Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) and Assault. If their employer the Nigerian Police Force continue to send un-trained half-baked semi-illiterate police men/women into the society, they should know the public will train them via the court system at which point, it becomes a very expensive lesson for them!!
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by legba1(m): 11:56am On Feb 03, 2021
The legal debacle just began.. Police will posi ly take the matter to appeal and on to Supreme courts... After all these if eventually judgements are still in her favour, she will likely wait till her 80th birthday before she gets the money, go and ask baba suwe against NDLEA
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Champneys: 11:56am On Feb 03, 2021
Good stuff and well done to all involved in helping this lady get justice.
Re: Tola Azeez Awarded N5m Court Over Police Flogging (Photos) by Charx122: 11:57am On Feb 03, 2021
Despirado121:
Lady Assaulted By Policemen During COVID-19 Lockdown Awarded N5m In Damages

The Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo, on
Monday, February 1, awarded N5 million damages against the Nigeria Police Force and the Inspector General of Police over the abuse of a woman, Tola Azeez, in Osun State, Igbere TV reports.

A video of the officers assaulting the young lady went viral in April 2020. Tola was walking along Odo Ori Market in Iwo, to buy a drug for a relative when the officers who were enforcing the lockdown, descended on her, flogging her mercilessly with their whips.

The state police command identified and arrested the erring officers, Ikuesan Taiwo, an inspector and Abass Ibrahim, a corporal.

To protest the assault, a fundamental human right enforcement suit was filed by a lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, on behalf of Ms Azeez.

The police counsel, F.B Osei, argued that Messrs Taiwo and Ibrahim were agents of the Nigeria Police Force, and that the Nigeria Police Force and the Inspector General of Police could not be held liable for the acts and omission of its officers.

This was countered by Mr Olajensgbesi who said the officers carried out the assault during an official assignment as agents of the police force.

While delivering judgement on the case on Monday, the presiding judge, Justice Ayo Emmanuel, resolved the matter in favour of the applicant. He held that the actions of the offending officers in the discharge of their official duties as agents of the police amounted to an infringement of the Fundamental Right to Dignity of Ms Azeez, a liability the Nigeria Police Force must shoulder.

He then awarded the sum of N5 million as aggravated and general damages against the police.

Tola also took to her Twitter handle to react to the judgement.

https://twitter.com/fabhally/status/1356191857894678529?s=19

Thank you for flogging me I'll do it again ...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kidnapper Wadume Contested For House Of Representatives 2019 In Taraba (Photos) / 2 Nigerian Students Sentenced To Death In Malaysia For Drug Trafficking / EFCC Arraigns Female Banker For Alleged N462 Million Fraud (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.