Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,752 members, 7,865,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 08:59 AM

Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US (956 Views)

Man Steals Formula To Feed His Baby, Gets Jailed In Kirikiri / Nigerian Mother Jailed In The Uk For Sending Son To Nigeria. / Wife Of Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by aloyemeka2: 3:45am On Apr 06, 2011
Tuesday, April 5, 2011[size=14pt]
Nigerian jailed over $300,000 fraud in US
[/size]

Agency Reporter

A Nigerian, Oladapo Oladokun, has been sentenced to two years imprisonment for carrying out a scheme in which he took over financial accounts belonging to about 25 victims.

He was said to have fleeced his victims of $300,000.

An account takeover occurs when individuals obtain names and identifying information of victims, and then using this information, call the victims' banks and credit card companies pretending to be the real account holders, Reuters reports.

The authorities said Oladokun, 37, took over more than 40 financial accounts fraudulently, according to an online publication, African Outlook. He was accused to have also used, possessed, or opened the accounts without the victims' authorisation, causing more than $300,000 in losses.

Oladokun, who lived in Lanham, Maryland, pleaded guilty in February to a charge of aggravated identity theft.

He was sentenced on Friday by Judge Ellen S. Huvelle in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. In addition to the prison term, the judge ordered Oladokun to pay restitution of $269,304.

Oladokun will also be on one year of supervised release upon completion of the prison term.

The sentence was announced by U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr.; James W. McJunkin, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI's Washington Field Office; Daniel S. Cortez, Inspector in Charge, Washington Division, U.S. Postal Inspection Service; and David Beach, Special Agent in Charge, Washington Field Office, U.S. Secret Service.

According to the government's evidence, Oladokun and others engaged in a scheme to defraud bank and credit card companies through an account takeover scheme.

Once in possession of the victims' checks and/or credit cards, Oladokun and others engaged in financial transactions such as buying goods and services, depositing the bank cheques into accounts opened in the names of other victims, cashing cheques, and purchasing money orders.

From July 2008 to August 2010, the defendant was involved with account takeovers of numerous financial accounts. Banks, credit card companies, and others suffered losses with respect to these accounts in the approximate total amount of $301,431, although some money was later recovered.

Oladokun admitted in court that he engaged in identity theft, knowing that the victims were actual persons

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/apr/5/806.html
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by aloyemeka2: 4:07am On Apr 06, 2011

According to the government's evidence, Oladokun and others engaged in a scheme to defraud bank and credit card companies through an account takeover scheme.

I bet you this "others" are Nigerians.
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by henry101(m): 6:34am On Apr 06, 2011
I believe he's a member of nairaland.
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by ektbear: 6:44am On Apr 06, 2011
A lot of guys in that part of the country doing financial crimes, sadly undecided
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by dplordx(m): 7:00am On Apr 06, 2011
bodboys grin
$300,000 and he didnt pull the plug? Hopeless scam addict! angry
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by Ikengawo: 7:12am On Apr 06, 2011
A lot of guys in that part of the country doing financial crimes, sadly

what 'part'?
the whole country is full of scumbags with no sense of honor, where do you see a 'unique case' in where he's from?
you clearly aren't from his part, but still have the degenerate lack of shame, moral fortitude or honor that he lacked which inclinded him to being a criminal.
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by ektbear: 7:15am On Apr 06, 2011
^--

Anyway, I grew up around there. As for the rest of your post. . . I'll be charitable and assume you are only temporarily suffering from stupidity.
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by Thirst4Lif: 7:53am On Apr 06, 2011
People commit crimes where opportunities present themselves so there wouldn't have been a need for him to make this kind

of attempt in Nigeria? His only receiving 2 years makes me think he gave up the names of a lot of his co-conspirators.

I'm sure he was singing like a bird once they slapped the handcuffs on. grin
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by Ikengawo: 8:10am On Apr 06, 2011
^--

Anyway, I grew up around there. As for the rest of your post. . . I'll be charitable and assume you are only temporarily suffering from stupidity.
ok, so my next question is where's 'there'?

because anyone that has grown up in any part of nigeria will tell you they were surrounded by several dishonest morally corrupt unscruplous sociopathic self obsessed criminals.

any part of the country, so why are you isolating his part? to make your pitifully low self esteem increase by pushing blame of a problem you too are suffering from (degenerate shamelessness and a honor void life) off to 'another part of the country', as if anyone in 'another part of the world' couldn't say the whole of nigeria is full of criminals with no honor
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by ektbear: 8:13am On Apr 06, 2011
^-- "there" = DC Metro Area, not whatever you thought it was. . . . .
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by namfav(m): 8:31am On Apr 06, 2011
needs to be hanged
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by monkeyleg: 10:20am On Apr 06, 2011
Things like this are why we must start getting things right. If not our children and our childrens, children will suffer the consequences. i know the loom I get from people in the UK when I tell them i am from Nigeria.

Sometimes people dont understand the depths of their actions, the world see our politicians as a direct reflection of who we are, like it or not
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 06, 2011
aloy-emeka:

I bet you this "others" are Nigerians.
This one na my brother but I'm sure the other are ibo.
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by aloyemeka2: 7:46pm On Apr 06, 2011
~Bluetooth:

This one na my brother but I'm sure the other are ibo.

You know that how?.
Re: Another Nigerian Fraudstar Jailed In US by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
@dplordx
Most poor individual into scams NEVER pull the plug until they are caught.
- 300K will buy you a house, and then what?! He goes back to flip burgers at Mc donalds?!
- 300K will have him start a great business and then what happens when the recession hit? Or lack of cash flow?!

When they have nothing, they will say that they will stop when they make 100K, then when they get it they raise the bar to 500K till they don't even set a bar anymore and get comfortable with their crime.

Jail for him or one of his "partners" is the only way most will/can stop. Like someone said earlier, he most probably already sang like a bird so his partners are either already in jail or on the run.

(1) (Reply)

Brother Stabs Sister To Death Over Indomie Noodles. / Police Parades Pastor Who Defiled 2 Under-age Girls In Edo (VIDEO) / We Grind Human Heads To Make Powder For Ladies In Search Of Husbands - N Doctor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.