Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman (34304 Views)

The Look ASUU Chairman Gave Chris Ngige After Reaching Agreement / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / LASU Sacks ASUU Chairman, Vice Chairman And 15 Other Lecturers For Malpractices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by HigherEd: 10:37am On Feb 05, 2021
Universities do not produce high quality graduates despite the exorbitant fees they receive in tuition from students, the chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in Plateau State, Dr. Lazarus Maigoro, said on Thursday in Jos.

Mr. Maigoro, speaking to NAN on the newly approved private universities decried low academic standards in most of the existing private universities in the country and urged the new ones to live up to expectations. He said they must ensure quality and good academic standards in their operations.

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday granted approval to 20 new private universities in the country.

The chairman also bemoaned the alarming rate of poor quality graduates he alleged the private universities are churning out annually.

“It is actually good to have private universities that have standard and quality, unfortunately, most of the existing ones are nothing to write home about,” he said scathingly. “Most at times, they push out people with empty brains as graduates; these graduates hardly contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the society.

Mr. Maigoro called on the federal government and relevant agencies to intensify monitoring mechanisms to set high standards.

He further advised the new institutions to charge moderate school fees in order to accommodate children of both the rich and the poor in the society.

“In any case, the essence of having private universities is to reduce pressure on public universities.

“But you discover that the exorbitant fees they charge still don’t address the problem. Many people can’t cope with the high charges.

“So, even with the large number of privately owned universities in the country, their enrollment rate is just ten percent. Public universities still have pressure,” he said.

The ASUU chairman also called on the government at all levels to ensure proper funding of public universities to improve standards.

NAN reports that the newly approved private universities include; Topfaith University, Mkpatak, Thomas Adewumi University, Oko-Irese, Maranathan University, Mgbidi, Ave Maria University, Piyanko, Al-Istiqama University, Sumaila, and Mudiame University, Irrua.

Also approved are; Havilla University, Nde-Ikom, Claretian University of Nigeria, Nekede, NOK University, Kachia, Karl-Kumm University, Vom, James Hope University, Lagos, Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria,Kano, Capital City University, Kano, and Ahman Pategi University, Pategi,

Others include; University of Offa, Offa, Mewar University, Masaka, Edusoko University, Bida, Philomath University, Kuje, Khadija University, Majia, and Anan University, Kwall,

(NAN)

https://www.gazettengr.com/private-universities-often-produce-graduates-with-empty-brains-ASUU/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

10 Likes

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by HigherEd: 10:38am On Feb 05, 2021
Dr. Lazarus Maigoro,

For over 7 decades that public education started in Nigeria, tell me exactly what the public education system that incubated you with a certificate worth no more than a single roll of toilet paper has benefitted the country?

What game changing patents in manufacturing, banking & finance, telecommunications have you, your students or any of your colleagues with "full brain" provided industry?

If all universities in the US are halted today, the US stock market would crash because their universities are the engines of innovation and supply of high skilled human capital.

If all public universities in Nigeria cease working for one month, the stock market won't even notice. Industry goes unconcerned. This is because you and your colleagues at ASUU actually constitute a burden to both industry and government.

You supply graduates that need retraining after four years of a retrogressive curriculum. Your value is so low priced that you can't generate your own salary through your effort except government gives you money.

The entire founding team of Paystack, PiggyVest, Quidax, ThriveAgric are from Babcock University - can you stand any of them in terms of contribution to national development?

347 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by CodeTemplar: 10:39am On Feb 05, 2021
NUC is suppose to regulate standard and if I am not mistaken, they are filled with public uni graduates. This man need to realize private schools will continue to perform and expose the flaws of the public ones where possible.
When CU started the dress code thing, they mocked, just this morning, the news of UNIBEN adopting dress code hit the front page. That's what competition can do. Most of the public schools wouldn't upload or digitize their research works before private schools started doing it and featuring in some prominent rankings.
Most are still running a analog transcript system and will only sit up the day they hear that a "glorified secondary school" is giving theirs within 4 hours of application. Let them continue hating on private schools instead of trying to improve.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by chatinent: 10:42am On Feb 05, 2021
Nigerian schools are empty fa.

How can they be using Hausa to teach English?

65 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by CodeTemplar: 10:42am On Feb 05, 2021
This Maigworo or whatever is mistaking the privilege of huge funding public schools enjoys and their number advantage in civil service for some kind of seal of quality of service. There is a reason why people flock to buy substandard Chinese products when there are better ones. Let somebody wake up this Lazarus from his brain death.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by Fahdiga1: 10:42am On Feb 05, 2021
Guilty conscience

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by Barbsamiin: 10:53am On Feb 05, 2021
chatinent:
Nigerian schools are empty fa.

How can they be using Hausa to teach English?
Same they use typical yoruba/igbo to teach english.

7 Likes

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by illicit(m): 10:54am On Feb 05, 2021
That's not true....

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by JOACHINpedro: 10:54am On Feb 05, 2021
I'm in a federal Uni but ASUU is the most useless set of organization...

i.e after FG

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by LordIsaac(m): 10:55am On Feb 05, 2021
Minus Covenant sha grin

14 Likes

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by TONY042(m): 10:56am On Feb 05, 2021
After destroying people's life with strikes, they're here spewing shit as usual.

ASUU is version 2.1 of APC!!!!

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by 3LACK: 10:57am On Feb 05, 2021
I concur with the part that private Universities are damn expensive though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by HigherEd: 10:58am On Feb 05, 2021
LordIsaac:
Minus Covenant sha grin
LOL show me any public school that can stand AUST, PAU, LBS. Let's not deceive ourselves here.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by chatinent: 11:34am On Feb 05, 2021
Barbsamiin:

Same they use typical yoruba/igbo to teach english.

This one is fighting for his language.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by LordIsaac(m): 11:37am On Feb 05, 2021
HigherEd:

LOL show me any public school that can stand AUST, PAU, LBS. Let's not deceive ourselves here.
UI is better than all you mentioned there.

28 Likes

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by sommy03(m): 11:39am On Feb 05, 2021
shocked
Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by HigherEd: 11:41am On Feb 05, 2021
LordIsaac:

UI is better than all you mentioned there.
Sorry, but you are wrong.

UI business school cannot match Lagos Business School. Have you seen the accreditations, research quality and faculty of LBS?

UI cannot rival African University Of Science and Technology. Ask people who could know, they'd tell you.

Assuming UI even offers Pan Atlantic courses it can't match a university that offers only

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by LordIsaac(m): 11:46am On Feb 05, 2021
HigherEd:

Sorry, but you are wrong.
I'm not... I've seen there products: Woke Soyinka, Chinua, et al.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by grandiose4ever: 11:59am On Feb 05, 2021
LordIsaac:

I'm not... I've seen there products: Woke Soyinka, Chinua, et al.

UI can't compete with Lagos business school. Have you seen the accreditations, faculty and research of LBS?

African University Of Science and Technology is a very good school. Perhaps best in STEM at the moments. I simply don't see how UI could match them.

Pan Atlantic University offers only five programmes which they are highly suited to offer. No public school can challenge them in economics, finance, etc.

Kudos to UI for graduating folks like Soyinka and Chinua. But I don't see them replicating this Nobel prizes enough to convince anyone they were the sole reasons for it.

Could have been a case of brilliant students going to schools they assume are the best.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by SirWarlock: 12:00pm On Feb 05, 2021
This thread should be interesting grin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 05, 2021
see insult.
Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by LikeAking: 12:10pm On Feb 05, 2021
True.

I tire for Naija.

I am exiting.
Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by iveonline: 12:25pm On Feb 05, 2021
THE ONLY PUBLIC SCHOOL IN NIGERIA WITH HEAD IS UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, AFTER UI, NO OTHER PUBLIC SCHOOL GET LIVER TO SHOW FACE.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by PAWG(m): 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2021
The battle line has been drwan.
Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by kingPhidel(m): 12:36pm On Feb 05, 2021
Wo! Are u saying that my friends that attended Madonna University have no brain but relaxer? Meanwhile how many public university occupy the 10best university in the world, in africa, in Nigeria? ASUU
obviously not current.
Sipping my water and shaking head
Next topic pls

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by fijinjesu92792: 1:55pm On Feb 05, 2021
:Same they use typical yoruba/igbo to teach english.This one is fighting for his language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by DontBullshitMe: 2:17pm On Feb 05, 2021
This is very wrong and insensitive.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by LordIsaac(m): 2:35pm On Feb 05, 2021
HigherEd:

UI... I've seen her products: Woke Soyinka and Achebe, to mention but a few.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by tarantino1: 3:03pm On Feb 05, 2021
Sex for Grade

Cultism

Exploitation of Students - Forcing them to buy textbooks, making them pay money for course registration, give exam questions that can't be answered in 5 hours but put 2 and half hours to frustrate students so they'll come and block.

A hall with the ability to contain not more than 80 students chosen to teach a class of over 200 students yet the lecturers have the guts to lay blame at the students for not attending classes.

Class building with no chair or electricity

3 lab equipments for over 100 students. Had a practical by 11, rounded up by 2 but because of sharing equipments, couldn't leave till past 6

My goodness, ,- such high standards. The private schools clearly had no chance in the first place

If these are the lofty standards private schools can't hope to match to produce the best set of graduates the public unis have been creating since Independence, then I agree with him.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by spy24(m): 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2021
HigherEd:
Dr. Lazarus Maigoro,

For over 7 decades that public education started in Nigeria, tell me exactly what the public education system that incubated you with a certificate worth no more than a single roll of toilet paper has benefitted the country?

What game changing patents in manufacturing, banking & finance, telecommunications have you, your students or any of your colleagues with "full brain" provided industry?

If all universities in the US are halted today, the US stock market would crash because their universities are the engines of innovation and supply of high skilled human capital.

If all public universities in Nigeria cease working for one month, the stock market won't even notice. Industry goes unconcerned. This is because you and your colleagues at ASUU actually constitute a burden to both industry and government.

You supply graduates that need retraining after four years of a retrogressive curriculum. Your value is so low priced that you can't generate your own salary through your effort except government gives you money.

The entire founding team of Paystack, PiggyVest, Quidax, ThriveAgric are from Babcock University - can you stand any of them in terms of contribution to national development?

You no go school , if you did you won't write the nonsense you wrote up there

If we are to judge by the amount of great people public universities have produce youll lose out

[s][/s]

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2021
It is true

Private universities students are masters of empty brains.

Many aren't smart when compared to state or federal students

I am talking from experience.

Argue as you like, it wont change the facts

When it comes to education in Nigeria, anything private always devalue the standard.

I blame government for the lack of monitoring of all these mushrooms private universities.

Imagine obasanjo, atiku and adeleke, having a university, what do these people know education

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Private Universities Produce Students With Empty Brains - Plateau ASUU Chairman by Vick4rill(m): 4:02pm On Feb 05, 2021
l agree on this one , a 3rd class graduate in public university can easily make 2.1 in private university,,
let be honest with ourselves most private school were exorbitant bills are paid do everything it takes to award good grades to students so as to maintain their customers!! l have taught in a lot of this private schools and l must tell u DAT is not funny!! that reminds me of chima a law graduate from Babcock university who can not differentiate between executive and judicial system of government!!

17 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Do Most Brilliant Guys/Ladies Use Glasses? / Newborn Baby Dumped Inside Dustbin In Oko Poly Female Hostel (Graphic Photos) / Laspotech Security Killed By Cultists Today (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.