Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,978 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? (745 Views)

Worshippers Escape Death As Windstorm Destroys Church In Gombe State (Photos) / The Mystery Surrounding Creation And Life After Death / Do You Believe What Will Be Will Be, Do You Believe In Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:24pm On Feb 06, 2021
Please i'm interested in the highlighted!
Between the SOUL and SPIRIT which will return to God?
According to Genesis 2:7 "God formed the man out of the dust (clay) and blew into his nostril the breath of life and the man became a living soul (person)"
So where did you get the three separately Sir?

franklytrue:

It is more "logical" to accept the 1000 years = 1 day explanation for Adam's death but not the 6000 years for 6 days creation?
Your reasoning will always lead you astray if you do not humbly ask the Author of the bible for understanding.

Do you understand that Adam's body was made from clay but his real person, even the life in that clay body came from God and will return back to God, not to the soil as Ecclesiastes says? Man is spirit, soul and body who is made in the image and likeness of God - Father, Son and Spirit.
"For as the body WITHOUT the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." - James 2:26

Death is separation from life. God cannot lie. Adam died (was estranged from the holy God) the same day he ate the fruit. The body eventually degraded (aged/weakened - something that was not the original plan of God) until it could no longer hold his human spirit and it separated from his flesh hundreds of years later (the silver cord was loosed).

He was disconnected from the Spirit of God through sin that very moment and his eyes were 'opened'. He fell short of the glory of God immediately. That is why redemption through Jesus Christ is to restore us back into a holy, loving, intimate, experiential relationship with God our Father through His Spirit in us.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by franklytrue(m): 5:29pm On Feb 06, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
Please i'm interested in the highlighted!
Between the SOUL and SPIRIT which will return to God?
According to Genesis 2:7 "God formed the man out of the dust (clay) and blew into his nostril the breath of life and the man became a living soul (person)"
So where did you get the three separately Sir?

The spirit encapsulating the soul returns back to God, not the soil. There is a spiritual body but it is not stated that there is a 'soulish' body. (1 Cor. 15:44)

The breath of life (spirit) that was blown into man activated an individual personality (soul) with free will, emotions, reasoning and etecetera, and not a 'robot'.

Why did the scriptures let us know that there is a spirit in man and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding? (Job 32:8 )

Why did the scriptures say the soul that sinneth it shall die, shall be cut off [separated] (see Num. 15:31 and several more)?

The scriptures says the body without the spirit is dead. - James 2:26

Several passages in scriptures from the old to the new testament talk about the soul of man and also the spirit of man. Man in the case is referring to all human, not just the male.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

God who is a Spirit also has a Spirit (the Spirit of God) and He is shown to have a soul, although it may not be exactly like ours for He is far greater than we can imagine.

"Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles." - Matthew 12:18 (see Lev. 21:11, Isaiah 42:1, Heb. 10:38, etc)
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:37pm On Feb 06, 2021
It's like you're not getting my point so let me make it easier, God formed Adam from the dust of the ground and blew into his nostril the breath of life and Adam (the dust) became a living soul. Genesis 2:7
Definitely there was nothing like Adam before creation meaning Adam was God's invention.
So where did the Bible says that something is separated from Adam at death and continue to exist?
And where exactly is that thing representing Adam presently?

franklytrue:

The spirit encapsulating the soul returns back to God, not the soil. There is a spiritual body but it is not stated that there is a 'soulish' body. (1 Cor. 15:44)

The breath of life (spirit) that was blown into man activated an individual personality (soul) with free will, emotions, reasoning and etecetera, and not a 'robot'.

Why did the scriptures let us know that there is a spirit in man and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding? (Job 32:8 )

Why did the scriptures say the soul that sinneth it shall die, shall be cut off [separated] (see Num. 15:31 and several more)?

The scriptures says the body without the spirit is dead. - James 2:26

Several passages in scriptures from the old to the new testament talk about the soul of man and also the spirit of man. Man in the case is referring to all human, not just the male.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

God who is a Spirit also has a Spirit (the Spirit of God) and He is shown to have a soul, although it may not be exactly like ours for He is far greater than we can imagine.

"Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles." - Matthew 12:18 (see Lev. 21:11, Isaiah 42:1, Heb. 10:38, etc)
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by franklytrue(m): 6:11pm On Feb 06, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
It's like you're not getting my point so let me make it easier, God formed Adam from the dust of the ground and blew into his nostril the breath of life and Adam (the dust) became a living soul. Genesis 2:7
Definitely there was nothing like Adam before creation meaning Adam was God's invention.
So where did the Bible says that something is separated from Adam at death and continue to exist?
And where exactly is that thing representing Adam presently?

'So God CREATED man in his own image, in the image of God CREATED he him; male and female CREATED he them.' - Genesis 1:27

'This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God CREATED man, in the likeness of God MADE he him' - Genesis 5:1

Do you understand that there is a difference between being created and being made (formed)?

*Created (man) - out of no physically existing entity but in Himself.
*Formed (man) - out of the dust of the ground.

God breathed the man He CREATED in Himself into the body He FORMED from the already created and existing earth. He put the man He created into the container(flesh/body) he made/formed

We were CREATED in Christ Jesus who is the image of the invisible God. See the bolded words in Genesis above (Refs: Eph. 2:10, Col. 1:15)

So what returns back to God when a man dies as Ecclesiastes says?
The body to the dust and the spirit returns back to God who gave it.

The spirit shall return for what?
For judgment and reward for the things done in the body (2 Cor. 5:10, Rom. 14:10-12, Matt. 25:31-46)
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:32pm On Feb 06, 2021
The highlighted means the energy (spirit) that activate the lungs just as God blew into Adam's nostril in the beginning!

I don't agree with your analogy that God first created something somewhere before Adam's formation Sir, the scriptures say God form the man from the dust and blew into his nostril the breath of life and man (Adam) became a living soul. Please can you back up your explanation with the scriptures that Adam was already existing before God molded him?

franklytrue:

'So God CREATED man in his own image, in the image of God CREATED he him; male and female CREATED he them.' - Genesis 1:27

'This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God CREATED man, in the likeness of God MADE he him' - Genesis 5:1

Do you understand that there is a difference between being created and being made (formed)?

*Created (man) - out of no physically existing entity but in Himself.
*Formed (man) - out of the dust of the ground.

God breathed the man He CREATED in Himself into the body He FORMED from the already created and existing earth. He put the man He created into the container(flesh/body) he made/formed

We were CREATED in Christ Jesus who is the image of the invisible God. See the highlighted words in Genesis above (Refs: Eph. 2:10, Col. 1:15)

So what returns back to God when a man dies as Ecclesiastes says?
The body to the dust and the spirit back to God who gave it.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by sonmvayina(m): 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
The highlighted means the energy (spirit) that activate the lungs just as God blew into Adam's nostril in the beginning!

I don't agree with your analogy that God first created something somewhere before Adam's formation Sir, the scriptures say God form the man from the dust and blew into his nostril the breath of life and man (Adam) became a living soul. Please can you back up your explanation with the scriptures that Adam was already existing before God molded him?

There are two crrations narrative in genesis. One is the creation if the spirit while the other is the creation of man. (The spirit dwelling inside the body formed from the dust of the earth to bring it to life). Man is the living soul. At death the spirit will return to God who gave it and the body will return to the earth from where it was taken.

Spirit+body = soul(Man)

You only need two parents to create a human being not three, the sperm contains the spirit and the ova the materials for making the body. The earth is called mother nature for that reason. She provided the dust for the body, and God provided the spirit.

It is simple knowledge....why complicate it it bull shit?
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by livingchrist: 8:38pm On Feb 06, 2021
A Christian does not die but sleep. I believe in being with Jesus after death and my resurrection with all the saints at christ coming.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by franklytrue(m): 9:34pm On Feb 06, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

The previous post answered your question from the scriptures if only you will look closely at it.

Spirit is just energy? Mindless/directionless energy? Energy that can know things, energy that can speak, energy that can sense things, energy does things of its own accord??

We were CREATED in the image of God which is Christ Jesus and our body was FORMED from the dust of the ground. We were then breathed into our formed body.
Go check the meaning of 'create' and 'form' again even in the original language.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:08am On Feb 07, 2021
There are different words rendered as SPIRIT in the Bible and they meant different things the SPIRIT at Ecclesiastes 12:7 simply means breath but if you disagree it's OK, go out there and make disciples for your God Sir! smiley

franklytrue:

The previous post answered your question from the scriptures if only you will look closely at it.

Spirit is just energy? Mindless/directionless energy? Energy that can know things, energy that can speak, energy that can sense things, energy does things of its own accord??

We were CREATED in the image of God which is Christ Jesus and our body was FORMED from the dust of the ground. We were then breathed into our formed body.
Go check the meaning of 'create' and 'form' again even in the original language.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by ubilli: 6:11am On Feb 07, 2021
“I thought there were three places a person could go at death: heaven, hell, or purgatory. I knew I wasn’t good enough for heaven or bad enough for hell. It was not clear to me exactly what was in purgatory. I never saw any of that in the Bible. It was just what people said.”​—Lionel.

“I was taught that all people go to heaven at death, but I was not convinced. I thought that death ends everything​—that no future exists for the dead.”​—Fernando.

Have you wondered: ‘What really happens at death? Are our dead loved ones suffering somewhere? Will we ever see them again? How can we be sure?’ Please consider what the Scriptures actually teach. First, let us examine what the Bible says death is like. Then we will discuss the hope that God’s Word, the Bible, offers.

What is the condition of the dead?
THE BIBLE’S ANSWER: “The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.” *​—Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10.

The Grave, simply put, is where humans go when they die; it is a symbolic place or condition where any consciousness or activity ceases. How did the faithful man Job view the Grave? He had lost all his possessions and children in one day, and then he was struck with agonizing boils all over his body. He pleaded with God: “O that in the Grave [“in hell,” Catholic Douay Version] you would conceal me, that you would hide me.” (Job 1:13-19; 2:7; 14:13) Clearly, Job did not understand the Grave to be a fiery hell, a place where his suffering would be even worse. Rather, he thought of it as a place of relief.

There is another way to learn about the condition of the dead. We can examine the inspired Scriptural records concerning eight people who returned from the dead.​—See the box “ Eight Resurrections Described in the Bible.”

Not one of those eight spoke about being in a place of bliss or torment. If the people who were resurrected had gone to such a place when they died, would they not have told people about it? And would this not be included in the inspired Bible record for all to see? In the Scriptures, nothing of the kind is recorded. Those eight people evidently had nothing to say on the subject. Why not? Because they had been unconscious, as if in a deep sleep. In fact, the Bible sometimes uses sleep as an illustration to explain death. For example, faithful David and Stephen both “fell asleep in death.”​—Acts 7:60; 13:36.

What hope, then, is there for the dead? Can they awaken from this sleep?
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by franklytrue(m): 2:34pm On Feb 07, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
There are different words rendered as SPIRIT in the Bible and they meant different things the SPIRIT at Ecclesiastes 12:7 simply means breath but if you disagree it's OK, go out there and make disciples for your God Sir! smiley

Different meaning of the word "spirit" but you suppose it to mean just "breath" in Eccl.12:7?

And so, is the "breath of life" that was breathed into Adam either just energy (spirit), Oxygen or rather Carbondioxide? Because what ordinarily is breathed out by conscious, talking, living beings is Carbondioxide.
Does God even breath air in and out for His sustenance?
And why weren't the animals breathed into like Adam was?
What was so special about Adam's "breath of life" that was not inputed into the animals (even plants) and yet they are alive?

Have you check the original word and meaning of "spirit" from the verse before concluding?
Have you also check the meaning of the words "CREATE" and "FORM" even in the original language and see whether they are the same thing or not?

WELL, I SUPPOSE YOU WILL NOT ANSWER MOST OF THESE QUESTIONS AS YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY AVOIDED THE OTHER ONES TOO AND FOCUS ONLY ON WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN INDOCTRINATED WITH.

You turn a blind eye to the truth and you think you are witnessing for Jehovah? That is the same way you have been made a blind follower of the blind and you think God is happy with your deliberate IGNOR[E]ance of the study of His Word? It is false witnessing of the greatness and power of Jehovah whom you claim to serve as 2 Tim. 3:5-7 states.

You know some things about God just by the letter that killeth [2 Cor. 3:6] but you don't really know (have encountered/experienced) God in intimate relationship. That is where you guys are missing it and it is such people that the Lord Jesus will tell on that day: I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

You know ABOUT Him but you don't know Him and He doesn't 'know' you because you really have no intimate relationship with or experiential knowledge of Him, just head knowledge.
Seek the Lord while He may be found. May God help you.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:50pm On Feb 07, 2021
Haaaaa this epistle simply because Adam is dead shey? cheesy
OK o, go and speak with the soul/spirit of Adam after all he was the first man God created and the father of all, at least his soul/spirit will be of much help better than your grandpa who just died in less than 50 year ago! cheesy

franklytrue:

Different meaning of the word "spirit" but you suppose it to mean just "breath" in Eccl.12:7?

And so, is the "breath of life" that was breathed into Adam either just energy (spirit), Oxygen or rather Carbondioxide? Because what ordinarily is breathed out by conscious, talking, living beings is Carbondioxide.
Does God even breath air in and out for His sustenance?
And why weren't the animals breathed into like Adam was?
What was so special about Adam's "breath of life" that was not inputed into the animals (even plants) and yet they are alive?

Have you check the original word and meaning of "spirit" from the verse before concluding?
Have you also check the meaning of the words "CREATE" and "FORM" even in the original language and see whether they are the same thing or not?

WELL, I SUPPOSE YOU WILL NOT ANSWER MOST OF THESE QUESTIONS AS YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY AVOIDED THE OTHER ONES TOO AND FOCUS ONLY ON WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN INDOCTRINATED WITH.

You turn a blind eye to the truth and you think you are witnessing for Jehovah? That is the same way you have been made a blind follower of the blind and you think God is happy with your deliberate IGNOR[E]ance of the study of His Word? It is false witnessing of the greatness and power of Jehovah whom you claim to serve as 2 Tim. 3:5-7 states.

You know some things about God just by the letter that killeth [2 Cor. 3:6] but you don't really know (have encountered/experienced) God in intimate relationship. That is where you guys are missing it and it is such people that the Lord Jesus will tell on that day: I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

You know ABOUT Him but you don't know Him and He doesn't 'know' you because you really have no intimate relationship with or experiential knowledge of Him, just head knowledge.
Seek the Lord while He may be found. May God help you.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by franklytrue(m): 3:04pm On Feb 07, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
Haaaaa this epistle simply because Adam is dead shey? cheesy
OK o, go and speak with the soul/spirit of Adam after all he was the first man God created and the father of all, at least his soul/spirit will be of much help better than your grandpa who just died in less than 50 year ago! cheesy

As I suppose. You skip the critical and focus on irrelevancies.
It's no problem. Whether Adam has gone into non-existence (obliteration) or will be resurrected, you will soon know and may get a chance to speak with him someday. But that will only be when you have had a change of mind, heart and life through the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
For now, goodbye.
Re: Do You Believe In Life After Death As A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2021
Sorry Sir Mr Adam is gone for good!

He will not be resurrected! smiley

franklytrue:

As I suppose. You skip the critical and focus on irrelevancies.
It's no problem. Whether Adam has gone into non-existence (obliteration) or will be resurrected, you will soon know and may get a chance to speak with him someday. But that will only be when you have had a change of mind, heart and life through the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
For now, goodbye.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What The Bible Says About Slay Queens And Slaying / Compulsory Giving or Tithing is of Men, Not Jesus / What Is The Serpent In Genesis - Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.