Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,898 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Reason Students Do Well In School Examinations But Fail Waec - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reason Students Do Well In School Examinations But Fail Waec (336 Views)

IPOB: Igbo Students Automatically Fail WAEC (pics) / What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? / South African Students Do "Birth Pose". Photos Go Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reason Students Do Well In School Examinations But Fail Waec by walexyatzion: 4:32am On Feb 06, 2021
Reason students do well in school examinations but fail Waec
I have noticed this trend of students performing far lower in WAEC than they do in their school tests and terminal examinations. Even I writing this article am a victim. I was a brilliant students and was on top of my class in performance but had to write WAEC twice. It was a shock to me then but when I diagnosed and analysed the situation and also studied other students over the years, I found the cause of my failure and other students which is written below

There is often no accurate test of knowledge in most secondary schools: A teacher may be good and has taught the students well but because of inexperience or inability to prepare standard questions to test the students knowledge and not also using a standard marking scheme, there is what I call the false performance. The danger of this is that the students will think WAEC will also be as easy as their teachers questions but will find out later that this is not true which might be when writing Waec.

Waec have their pattern of setting questions and always make answers to questions not obvious. only a few teacher can match up with that skill. It is better you use Waec past questions for their test and exams so they get used to Waec questions. With this you would be able to know their performance in relation to WAEC. Therefore each student will know what to expect from WAEC and can prepare harder if they are not doing well.

Another advantage of using WAEC questions only for your students and tests examinations is that it kills the phobia(fear) of WAEC in them. Imagine students writing WAEC in their assignment, tests and terminal examinations, before finnaly sitting for WAEC Exam, they would have written WAEC on all subjects and topics you have thought them so will walk into WAEC examination hall as if they want to write another terminal exam. Such confidence will increase their chance of performing well.

However, setting solely WAEC questions for your students tests and examinationd could be very tedious. It means you have to go through past questions of several years to get questions on topics of interest. Here is the good news for you as a teacher you can make use use of https://teachersaid.ng/
to prepare WAEC questions for your students. The website has questions on every topic so you just have to select all the topic you want questions on and also the number of questions you want on each of them and you will have the questions on all those topics. You can also download the soft copies of the questions you generated thereby eradicating the stress of typing questions.

Source: https://teachersaid.ng/

1 Like

Re: Reason Students Do Well In School Examinations But Fail Waec by egopersonified(f): 6:37am On Feb 06, 2021
Thank you for this. Most teachers always teach the easy parts of the chapters in the textbook and set questions from there. I always tell my kids not to read their notebooks at home but read the topic in the textbook. They only read their notebooks before tests.
Re: Reason Students Do Well In School Examinations But Fail Waec by walexyatzion: 11:35am On Feb 06, 2021
Yes your right. I call them the lazy teachers gang. That's why every parent should always check their childrens note in relation to their scheme of work

(1) (Reply)

Coursehero, Scribd And Bartleby / JAMB Gives Update On Sale Of 2021 UTME Forms (read Full Details) / Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.