Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,313 members, 7,815,569 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not (812 Views)

Let's Talk Brainbox Aka ECU. / ECU (brainbox) And Car Electronics Related Problems / These Are Signs That Tell You It's Time To Change The Engine Air Filter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by MrWalban(m): 2:43am On Feb 07, 2021
Hello, recently purchased a Toyota Camry 2012 Se v4 engine but unfortunately the manifold with the catalyst was cut off from the engine to the silencer at the port (Sallum Lines). Got a new one for 150k. But still having check engine light come up. Ran a scan which came back with P2238 (02 Sensor positive current control) and P2195 (02 Sensor signal stuck lean)..

My rewire tested the voltage of the 02 sensors esp the bank 1 sensor 1 but they came back positive, meaning they are all good. So he is advising if I don't want the check engine light to be on he can loop it and the check engine would be off but the problem would still be there, or I should change the brainbox which we priced to be 28k (for the short, used). He guarantees that would solve the problem as there might be a bad diode in the current brainbox.

I'm confused as to whether changing the brainbox is a good idea, has anyone had similar issue and solved it this way?
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by homeboy205: 6:01am On Feb 07, 2021
Why not change the 02 sensor itself as that will be cheaper fix. I know he is getting a positive result, but ECM don’t go bad just like that, especially on newer models.

Don’t mess things up with the car

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by Mottomata(m): 6:23am On Feb 07, 2021
Here's what I think you should do:

- Replace the O2 sensor
- Reprogram the ECU
- Replace the ECU

Follow the sequence until the DTC is gone.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by aieromon(m): 7:04am On Feb 07, 2021
MrWalban:

So he is advising if I don't want the check engine light to be on he can loop it and the check engine would be off but the problem would still be there, or I should change the brainbox which we priced to be 28k (for the short, used). He guarantees that would solve the problem as there might be a bad diode in the current brainbox.

This Kazeem is just interested in replacing expensive parts and preparing a big table for future disaster.

A faulty sensor can still give voltage readings.
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by yungdoc12(m): 7:15am On Feb 07, 2021
MrWalban:
Hello, recently purchased a Toyota Camry 2012 Se v4 engine but unfortunately the manifold with the catalyst was cut off from the engine to the silencer at the port (Sallum Lines). Got a new one for 150k. But still having check engine light come up. Ran a scan which came back with P2238 (02 Sensor positive current control) and P2195 (02 Sensor signal stuck lean)..

My rewire tested the voltage of the 02 sensors esp the bank 1 sensor 1 but they came back positive, meaning they are all good. So he is advising if I don't want the check engine light to be on he can loop it and the check engine would be off but the problem would still be there, or I should change the brainbox which we priced to be 28k (for the short, used). He guarantees that would solve the problem as there might be a bad diode in the current brainbox.

I'm confused as to whether changing the brainbox is a good idea, has anyone had similar issue and solved it this way?

Checks the wiring harness for shorts or open circuits from the O2 sensor to the ECM
and thank me later.
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by Kingdemu: 8:12am On Feb 07, 2021
Change your mechanic or at least try a qualified technician
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by amedualiyu(m): 10:08am On Feb 07, 2021
Alternatively, look for someone with same car model without check engine and borrow the oxygen sensor to test your car. If your sensor is confirmed bad after this, I will advise you go for a brand new

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by MrWalban(m): 5:37pm On Feb 08, 2021
There is a short circuit from the ECM to the 02 sensor. My Rewire says the best solution is to change the ECM.

yungdoc12:

Checks the wiring harness for shorts or open circuits from the O2 sensor to the ECM
and thank me later.
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by MrWalban(m): 5:43pm On Feb 08, 2021
Thanks boss. The car is at the painter now I would follow through with your advise next week.

homeboy205:
Why not change the 02 sensor itself as that will be cheaper fix. I know he is getting a positive result, but ECM don’t go bad just like that, especially on newer models.

Don’t mess things up with the car
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by MrWalban(m): 12:17pm On Feb 09, 2021
Yes there is short circuit from the 02 Sensor to the brainbox
yungdoc12:

and thank me later.
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by MrWalban(m): 12:18pm On Feb 09, 2021
Okay Sir
amedualiyu:
Alternatively, look for someone with same car model without check engine and borrow the oxygen sensor to test your car. If your sensor is confirmed bad after this, I will advise you go for a brand new
Re: Should I Change The Brainbox Or Not by DAutoDiagnosis: 5:25pm On Feb 09, 2021
Where is this your rewire?

Can you the test procedure he carried out to determine the oxygen sensor is good.

Does his diagnostic tool give access to live data and see the response of the sensor when the accelerator is floored?

I can assure you, changing the brainbox won't take out your check engine light. He probably wants to block the light with black tape.

Nna ehn. I just tire

(1) (Reply)

Conversion Of V6 To 4cylinder EOD Possible? / Venza ( Giveaway) / After Fixing Your Car Does It Go Haywire Before It Stabilises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.