Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? (906 Views)

How Do I Start Please / Front-end Development - How To Get Started / Web Development: How Much Will It Cost To Learn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:31am On Feb 09, 2021
Before saying anything, I’d like to congratulate you for choosing the noble path of programming. It’s a daunting but highly rewarding path and I wish you luck on your journey.

Now to the meat of the matter.

Pick a (programming) language

Firstly, you'll need to pick a programming language of your choice. The most common are JavaScript, Python and PHP. Spend two or three weeks with the basic syntax of the language of your choice;
variables,
operators (addition, subtraction, multiplication, boolean operators etc.),
functions (how to define them and how to use them),
Looping (for loop and while loops)
conditions (‘if’, ‘else if’ and ‘else’ statements)
(white) spacing and indentation (how and when is it important in your programming language),
primitives (lists/arrays, dictionaries, arrays, sets etc.) and
basic Object Oriented Programming (OOP). Here you should learn how to create a basic Object, how to call attribute methods and function methods.

This shouldn’t take you more than three weeks.

Learn HTML and CSS

Secondly, you’ll have to learn html and CSS.
I advice that you don’t spend more than 3weeks on these. For now you only need the basics:
Html boilerplate
Heading
Paragraph
Forms
Images
Anchor tags
…A few other tags
Basic CSS like:
Changing font styles, size and colour
Changing image size
DO NOT try to learn all html and all CSS before progressing.
At this stage, it’s a great idea for you to learn bootstrap. It shouldn’t take more than two weeks to learn it and practice it.

Learn some JavaScript

Next you’ll need to learn basic DOM manipulation with JavaScript.
You should learn how to:
define a variable
use an array
call and use event handlers
use JavaScript conditionals and loops
This should not take more than two to three weeks to learn the basics, if you have a good teacher.

Learn Some SQL

Then, you'll need to learn some SQL. For now, just learn how to basically create, read, update and delete records on a database. You'll come back for the rest later.

Finally, pick a framework for your backend.

This depends on the programming language you chose in the first stage. If you chose Python then it’s either django or flask. If you chose JavaScript then it’s typically Nodejs. If you chose PHP then it’s usually laravel or WordPress.
So, in about three months you have covered all the fundamentals of web development. What's left is the intermediate level. You'll need an experienced programmer to assess you and recommend what next.

My one Kuwaiti Dinar.

Source:
https://link.medium.com/PUOYasAjJdb

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:45am On Feb 09, 2021
Lalasticlala, what do you think?
Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by HRHQueenPhil(f): 1:55pm On Feb 09, 2021
Na graphic design I want to.learn
Wish I had a mad teacher who can mentor me in lagos
Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by denvers: 11:29pm On Feb 09, 2021
Nice write up, you forgot to add <strong>the need for persistence</strong> so many people give up when they seem not to get it, they don't know that there is light at the end of the tunnel...
Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by GeoAfrikana(m): 4:42pm On Feb 10, 2021
denvers:
Nice write up, you forgot to add <strong>the need for persistence</strong> so many people give up when they seem not to get it, they don't know that there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Thanks for the heads-up. Persistence is key. In fact, it's the single most important ingredient of success in this life (that's after God's will).
Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by GeoAfrikana(m): 4:54pm On Feb 10, 2021
HRHQueenPhil:
Na graphic design I want to.learn
Wish I had a mad teacher who can mentor me in lagos

Go to YouTube, there are hundreds of videos on graphics design. You'll learn a lot more there than you can gain from anyone in Nigeria.

For mentorship, go to twitter and search for leading graphic designers, just follow them silently and try to learn how they started and how they're doing. Use their life as a roadmap and motivation for your career. You'll be surprised how much you'll gain in a short time.

I'm saying this from experience. As a cartographer, I'm also skilled in graphics design so I think my advise is worth your time.

First thing, learn the fundamentals of graphic design. Don't even tough any software yet. Learn the theory of graphics. It's very easy. I have a free PDF on my website that will explain this to you in less than 30minutes;
https://geoafrikana.com/resources/

Once you read that, check this channel "satori graphics" on YouTube for powerful graphic design tips and tricks. Don't try to watch all his videos in a day or week, they'll overwhelm you. Just make sure you're watching like one or two per day. Overtime, youtube will recommend any other related videos and channels about graphics design for you.

Once you do that for a week, you can slow down (but not stop) on that and start learning a software.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by Josephkabila12: 10:39pm On Dec 16, 2022
denvers:
strong tag is an example of phrase tag
Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by HassieMalcomson(f): 10:32am On Dec 18, 2022
Start with PHP and Python.
Re: I Want To Learn Web Development, How Do I Start? by chiedozie198100: 5:03pm On Dec 18, 2022
Guys please help me rate this Android app. It's my production:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nigerianstatequizgame.nigerianstates

(1) (Reply)

Cloud Infrastructure Engineer: Any Prospect In Nigeria? / Database / Rewarding Surveys For Programmers, A Lot Of Goodies Attached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.