Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Amotekun Arrests Illegal Gold Miners In Ondo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amotekun Arrests Illegal Gold Miners In Ondo (205 Views)

Mahdi Shehu Discovers Illegal Gold Mining Site Owned By Ex-Governor In Zamfara / Illegal Gold Mine Collapses In Cross River, Six Buried Alive / Video Of Illegal Gold Mining In Kano Emerges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amotekun Arrests Illegal Gold Miners In Ondo by Biodun556(m): 9:02am On Feb 09, 2021
Amotekun arrests illegal gold miners in Ondo

*The suspects were arrested at different locations in Owo forest reserves on Sunday.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160705556063989&id=527793988

The commander of Amotekun, Adetunji Adeleye gave the names of those arrested as Shuaibu Yahaya, Habbi Usman, Kabiru Waheed, Mohammed Nurudeen, Mohammed Sulaman, Ali Mustapha, Ismaila Wahab, Musa Zeehed, Gabbar Musa, Sule Adamu, Abba Suleman, Usman Kabiru, Yahaya Danladi and Usman Ali Zekeri.

The Amotekun official told journalists in Akure, Ondo State, on Sunday that the suspects were arrested while operatives were enforcing the order given by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu that all illegal occupiers of forests reserves should vacate.

“The arrest took place at a forest reserve in Owo. We discovered the illegal mining locations in the course of our usual exercise”, he said. “We noticed that they have gone far in 50 different locations where they were mining.”

“Nobody would have believed that Ondo state has this quality of gold until we got to the locations where the gold robbers were living and performing illegal mining. Beyond the arrest, the culprits will be prosecuted.”

When questioned about their illegal operations, one of the illegal miners, Mr Shuaibu, who hails from Kebbi State, narrated his journey into the illegal mining world.

“I have been performing the act since 2019. I came looking for a job and I was introduced by one of our leaders who is at large. He brought me to Ondo State for this job because I wanted to make some money.

“After digging very dip, we got the black gold and we separated the sand from the gold with a flat sieve with a rug. The rug will do the separation as we pour the sand on it.

“I am the second-best in getting the gold as it is a very high-quality gold. We only get it out and send back home to our boss (names withheld) who sell them and later pay us.

“The gold in the land is of very high-quality gold. Mostly we get 25 carats, 20 carats sometimes we get 15 carats gold. And we make good money.”

In addition, Mr Adeleye announced the arrest of five suspected armed robbers who were said to be operating along the Benin-Owo road.

“We also nabbed five armed robbery suspects who were operating along Benin -Akure road. And most times, it is early morning they strike. We worked on intelligence and sold a dummy to them and they were traced to Delta State where they were apprehended”, he said.
Re: Amotekun Arrests Illegal Gold Miners In Ondo by Shelumiel: 9:13am On Feb 09, 2021
I have a belief that most of the insecurity issues plauging the country can be linked to things like illegal mining of mineral resources
Re: Amotekun Arrests Illegal Gold Miners In Ondo by MikeBetty(m): 9:22am On Feb 09, 2021
Check the names; all north. While the owners are busy mining skull. On a serious note; can southerners commit the same crime in the north and still be alive to tell the story?
Re: Amotekun Arrests Illegal Gold Miners In Ondo by richiemcgold: 9:25am On Feb 09, 2021
...never knew we have such gold in ondo.

as for the illegal miners, i don't think it could be possible to perpetrate such crimes without the knowledge/consent of the locals. investigation should start from the local chiefs and community leaders in that area.

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Approves Formation Of Trillion Naira Company / Hoodlums Working For Anambra Serial Governorship Aspirant Attack APC Reg Centre / Nigeria Governors Forum Celebrates With Bawa Bwari On Daughter's Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.