Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,471 members, 7,954,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:40 AM

Magnus Nnaemeka Chukwuekezie: Phenomenal Banker And Serial Entrepreneur Like No - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Magnus Nnaemeka Chukwuekezie: Phenomenal Banker And Serial Entrepreneur Like No (609 Views)

Buhari Appoints Nnaemeka Eweluka As The MD/CEO Of NBET / Breaking: Bede Chukwuekezie Wins Enugu APGA Governorship Ticket / Bede Chukwuekezie Brutalized By Governor Ugwuanyi's Police In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Magnus Nnaemeka Chukwuekezie: Phenomenal Banker And Serial Entrepreneur Like No by Nellyvin(m): 9:03am On Feb 10, 2021
Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; He shall not stand before mean men. Prov. 22:29

Nigeria is blessed with entrepreneurially minded individuals who have risen from crass poverty to sheer prosperity; those who have parlayed influence into affluence and those who fell off a cliff and built a plane on their way down. They are energetic and enthusiastic, uncompromising, yet realistic; impossibility has no space in their lexicons. With just tenacity of purpose and a strong devotion to their dreams, they bestride, successfully, the gap between creativity and commerce. These men transform sand to gold and water to wine. One of such persons who fits into the above description is the phenomenal Magnus Nnaemeka Chukwuekezie, Divisional Head, Keystone Bank Limited and Chairman, Everyday Group.

From banking and cold room services, distribution and restaurant, Magnus protean productivity and impeccable business acumen, spotting goldmine where many see landmines, have set him apart from the crowd. He embodies so much of what makes perfection an onerous yet enviable attribute. He is a very savvy banker and serial entrepreneur laced with imaginative visionary. But none of that influences his personal estimation of his competence and self-worth; despite his competency and acclaim, he affects a humble poise.

William Shakespeare, the legendary author of Twelfth Night Epic Novel had Magnus in mind when he said, “some are born great, some achieve greatness while some have greatness thrust upon them”. Although not born great, Mr. Magnus has been able to surmount challenges of life to not only achieve greatness, but has become greatness personified. He has become a mentor and an inspiration to many through his life story.
Lau Zou, the Chinese Poet said, “the journey of a mile begins with a step” The journey to what has become one of the most astounding business success stories around began when Magnus moved to Uyo Akwa Ibom State as a young banker with Citizens Bank. He has over 20 years cognate experience in banking and has handled several managerial roles at the branch and regional levels. He started his banking career with the defunct Citizens bank in August 2000. From Citizens Bank, he moved to Assurance Bank PLC. Due to issues of bank recapitalisation, Assurance bank went under and young Magnus was out of job for months but he was not out of ideas on the next move.

The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. Magnus understood the import of the above statement hence he never allowed his unemployed status to deter him. He used his N700,000 savings to start a business through the help of Elder Ubong Obot, MD/CEO of Ubotex Nigeria Limited who traded with the money and was making returns of N80,000 monthly to Magnus.

According to Magnus, “I gave my little savings to Ubotex who engaged the funds to buy and sell cement. I was receiving N80,000 every month. I said waoh, if I am receiving this much when I am not directly involved in the business, what will happen if I am the one doing the business myself. This got me thinking. I was trapped between getting another banking job or go into business with the funds I have realised. I decided to get another banking job. God helped me to join FCMB in 2005”.

Young Magnus decided to save 5 months of his salary in his new place of work; denied himself certain luxuries for the period and was able to raise money enough to purchase a parcel of land at Umoren Street which would later serve as headquarters of Everyday Group of companies.
Magnus knows that the future depends on what we do in the present. He also had the sayings of Martin Luther King Jnr in mind who said “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well”. Magnus committed himself to becoming a sought-after banker. From FCMB, he was headhunted to former Bank PHB and later UBA PLC. He was to later serve as Regional Manager in United Bank for Africa from June 2013 to June 2016. I need not tell you that he carted away all known banking awards, promotions and reward. I need not also tell you he helped the bank to grow in balance sheet, customer base, and meeting the financial needs of the public. Through dint of hard work, zeal and a determination to make a difference, Magnus has risen to an enviable height as the Divisional Head of Keystone Bank Limited, in charge of Akwa Ibom and Cross River.

Aside banking, Magnus Chukwuekezie has cut his teeth in the business world as a serial entrepreneur. While plying his trade as a banker, the Inyi-Enugu born chartered accountant had eyes for business. The need to secure a better future led him into founding Everyday Group Conglomerate. Founded in 2009, its strategic objective is to create a widely acceptable brand known through passionate and superior customer service delivery. Like a mustard seed, Everyday Group started at Umoren Street as a Cold-room with interest in sales of icefish to traders in Akpan Andem and neighbouring markets. Later he added sales of biscuits in wholesale and later noodles. Today, the small seed of Everyday Group has grown into a successful conglomerate with interests in restaurant, cold room services and distributorship for major food and beverage firms. The Group is into marketing and distribution for Nestle, Olam, Suntory, and Procter & Gamble. The products include Maggi, Golden Mourn, Nescafe, Milo, Cherie Noodles, Tasty Tom Tomatoes, OK Biscuits, Fresh Yo, Lucozade boost, Ribena, Ariel, Oral B, Safeguard, Gillette, etc. The Group also provides Cold Room Services and runs Quick Service Restaurants.

On the flipside, Magnus Chukwuekezie, has not lost sight of the fact that when he helps people, it means he has done something to help them move forward. He has helped scores to succeed while volunteering his shoulders for young Nigerians to climb and find their feet in life. Through Everyday Group, Magnus has provided jobs and wealth for more than 300 Nigerians. He has also created a mentorship platform to train young Nigerians with interest in entrepreneurship. He has constantly given back to society by putting smiles on the faces of many and goes about planting trees not knowing who will seek shelter underneath them.

Interestingly, the life of Magnus Chukwuekezie remains a challenge to many having defied all odds inclusive of a childhood incident to rise to the pinnacle of his profession and passion.
He also once smiled at me saying, “Vincent, never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place – that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have perseverance to realise the great life. Forget about what people say about you. It does not change the colour of your skin”. I have learnt from Magnus Chukwuekezie’s life journey that success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do. I have also learnt from him that the difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will to dare.

Born in Inyi, Oji-River LGA of Enugu State on July 27, 1973, Magnus is the 2nd of six male children of Mazi Emmanuel and Mrs. Theresa Chukwuekezie. He obtained FSLC from Premier School, Alum Inyi and WASC from Model Comprehensive Boys Secondary School, Inyi. He proceeded to the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka where he obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accountancy. As is the tradition, he embarked on his compulsory one-year youth service in Port Harcourt, River State. Upon completion of his NYSC, Magnus was honoured as the Corper of the Year in 2000 and was handed a cash prize of 50,000.

Not done with acquisition of knowledge, young Magnus returned to his alma mater and capped his inquisitive mind with a Masters of Business Administration Degree in Accountancy and Banking and Finance. He is presently warming up to wear the crown of Doctoral Degree (PhD) in Accounting from the University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. He is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and the Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered). He is married to Nneka and they are blessed with three girls; Magna, Grace and Maricel, and a boy; Emmanuel.

Deacon Vincent Aluu, is the Publisher of Naija Eye Witness News

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day: Lagos This Evening / Sunday Igboho Is Not Backing Down. Threatened Tinubu Ambition / Powerful Nigerians Brought In Bandits, Arms For Civil War Should Jonathan Remain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.