Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,376 members, 7,836,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

What Is The Easiest Way To Soft This Issue - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Is The Easiest Way To Soft This Issue (702 Views)

How Can I Solve This Issue Of Which I'm Experiencing In My G Analytics Dashboard / How Do I Transfer From Paper To Soft Copy Without Typing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Easiest Way To Soft This Issue by chrishenzo: 9:35am On Apr 07, 2011
A built a website on the local machine. Now I uploaded it to the server and most of the links aren't working.
Note: when I was building the website, it has different folder name. The website name is different from the folders name. For example

The folder name was jdpcompany on the local machine but before the website was ready, someone else has already registered with the jdpcompany name. So I have no option but to change the name. I have more than a 100 files with different folders with the siteroot. How can I resolve the issue.
Re: What Is The Easiest Way To Soft This Issue by afrobaby(f): 3:50pm On Apr 08, 2011
before u uploaded ur site, were the links working, I mean all the links?
Re: What Is The Easiest Way To Soft This Issue by yawatide(f): 4:22pm On Apr 08, 2011
Maybe it is because you are using relative paths, as opposed to absolute paths.

For example, let's say you have a "contact_us" folder. Rather than linking like so, which is probably what you have now:

, /contact_us or /jdpcompany/contact_us or jdpcompany/contact_us or , /jdpcompany/contact_us

You can reference the above simply as:

/contact_us/ (no dots)

This way, irrespective of where you are, or if you move to another server, the paths remain the same.

Let us know if the issue is as I have described it and if my solution works for you.

Good luck!
Re: What Is The Easiest Way To Soft This Issue by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 09, 2011
it is usually all those relative vs absolute linking problems. . . .where is the link of the website?

(1) (Reply)

Website Review | Mortgagesphb / Get A Professional Website Design For Your Business With Just N20k (promo) / Free Website Design Tutorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.