Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,683 members, 7,834,273 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? (1108 Views)

Can A Christian Drink Alcohol ?? / Should A Christian Drink Alcohol / Can A True Christian Drink Alcohol? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

Please can you help us explain Ecclesiastes 9 v 7? Or should that be blotted from the scriptures? Or does it mention wine can only be taken once in a year, hmmm?

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7
7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

How about Psalms 104 v 14-15?
14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Cc:Bassreeves, Honeybadgerr, jmoore, Pavore9

I've already answered your question. Bible has no two interpretations. If you are a saved christian, you should not drink alcohol; simple. Why? Because you are a priest. You are here to give God pleasure, not your own body. If your heart is okay with drinking, that's your problem because at the end you will give an account of what you did with your body (2 Cor 5:10 kjv). Did you used your body to do something for the Lord, or where you busy feeding your flesh with alcohol. Everybody will have their day in court.

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:28pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

I've already answered your question. Bible has no two interpretations. If you are a saved christian, you should not drink alcohol; simple. Why? Because you are a priest. You are here to give God pleasure, not your own body. If your heart is okay with drinking, that's your problem because at the end you will give an account of what you did with your body (2 Cor 5:10 kjv). Did you used your body to do something for the Lord, or where you busy feeding your flesh with alcohol. Everybody will have their day in court.

So if I take your submission here. Paul that advised Timothy to take alcohol, Paul and Timothy were not saved Christians or what?

Consuming alcohol isn’t the issue here, drunkenness is what the issue is here.

What you should be emphasising here is the need for self control (a fruit of the Spirit a saved soul should exhibit)

Same logic applies to consuming food and gluttony
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Feb 15, 2021
BassReeves:

I have informed you already above or on the other thread you opened same on the matter of being against drinking alcohol that alcohol is taken during communion, and that Paul during the communion, is not against drinking but is against people over drinking and abuse drinking alcohol.

Just for the record, the last time I drank alcohol, was at least up to five years ago. No, I am not a teetotal, its just that I hadn't the need or want to drink alcohol, so forget all that your saying that, I am putting up defence because I drink or want to drink alcohol

1. Alcohol wasn't mentioned in that passage. They where drunken. You can be drunk on anything (e.g. alcohol, water, self, drunk with blood in Deut 32:42, etc..). To be drunk also means to be overwhelmed by something.

2. (1 Cor 11:20 kjv) "When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper." In other words, Paul is saying they are not coming here to eat the Lord's supper, that they are coming here to be seen of other people. Why? verse 21 explains further.

(1 Cor 11:21 kjv) "For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken." In other words, He says that everyone is bringing their own supper and eating their own and not giving to other people. They are showing off who has what and who doesn't have and not sharing with each other. The Lord's supper is for everybody, and everybody is equal at the cross. This was not their purpose for coming. They were abusing the Lord's supper as their purpose for coming together is to show who has the most.

(1 Cor 11:22 kjv) "What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in?" Meaning why aren't you doing it in private? [/i]"or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not?"[/i] In other words, the people that don't have what you have, why are you trying to embarrass them? The purpose of coming to the church is not to show off. "what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not." Paul praised them before in Vs 2, but not for this action. Paul is trying to show them that they are out of balance, that they are only coming for the Lord's supper to be seen of men.
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

So if I take your submission here. Paul that advised Timothy to take alcohol, Paul and Timothy were not saved Christians or what?

Consuming alcohol isn’t the issue here, drunkenness is what the issue is here.

What you should be emphasising here is the need for self control (a fruit of the Spirit a saved soul should exhibit)

Same logic applies to consuming food and gluttony

The wine Paul recommended to Timothy is medicine, not an alcoholic drink. If you want to read the Bible, read it with the right heart. If you go to that Book with a preconceived notion of what you want it to say, it will break your full neck, and it will mess with your mind. Like I said earlier, we will all have our day in court. God is not a man that He will lie (Heb 6).
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:41pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

1. Alcohol wasn't mentioned in that passage. They where drunken. You can be drunk on anything (e.g. alcohol, water, self, drunk with blood in Deut 32:42, etc..). To be drunk also means to be overwhelmed by something.

2. (1 Cor 11:20 kjv) "When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper." In other words, Paul is saying they are not coming here to eat the Lord's supper, that they are coming here to be seen of other people. Why? verse 21 explains further.

(1 Cor 11:21 kjv) "For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken." In other words, He says that everyone is bringing their own supper and eating their own and not giving to other people. They are showing off who has what and who doesn't have and not sharing with each other. The Lord's supper is for everybody, and everybody is equal at the cross. This was not their purpose for coming. They were abusing the Lord's supper as their purpose for coming together is to show who has the most.

(1 Cor 11:22 kjv) "What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in?" Meaning why aren't you doing it in private? [/i]"or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not?"[/i] In other words, the people that don't have what you have, why are you trying to embarrass them? The purpose of coming to the church is not to show off. "what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not." Paul praised them before in Vs 2, but not for this action. Paul is trying to show them that they are out of balance, that they are only coming for the Lord's supper to be seen of men.

Your first point is outrightly hilarious. Remind us again, what are the items used in administering the communion as clearly spelt out in the scriptures?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:42pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

The wine Paul recommended to Timothy is medicine, not an alcoholic drink. If you want to read the Bible, read it with the right heart. If you go to that Book with a preconceived notion of what you want it to say, it will break your full neck, and it will mess with your mind. Like I said earlier, we will all have our day in court. God is not a man that He will lie (Heb 6).

And what was the property in this wine that made it medicinal hmmm?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

Your first point is outrightly hilarious. Remind us again, what are the items used in administering the communion as clearly spelt out in the scriptures?

It's obvious you are more focused on defending your idol, probably the Anglican church or the catholic church, or even your precious alcohol and your reputation. All these are your idols and God's word cannot show light in the heart of a man until he is willing to get rid of some idols in his life according to the book of Ezekiel.
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

And what was the property in this wine that made it medicinal hmmm?

2 Tim 2:23 kjv "But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:49pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

2 Tim 2:23 kjv "But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

This is what religious zealots resort to when they know they've been caged by questions that expose their folly and spiritual shortsightedness cheesy
Now be humble enough, do your research and tell us what property in that wine made it medicinal for Timothy.
We are waiting patiently.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

It's obvious you are more focused on defending your idol, probably the Anglican church or the catholic church, or even your precious alcohol and your reputation. All these are your idols and God's word cannot show light in the heart of a man until he is willing to get rid of some idols in his life according to the book of Ezekiel.

On the contrary, I am more focused on defending the scriptures from interpretation by uninformed zealots like you. cheesy cheesy

Can you give specific answers to these scriptures? Or were the authors also concerned with "defending their idols" too? cheesy

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7
7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

This is what religious zealots resort to when they know they've been caged by questions that expose their folly and spiritual shortsightedness cheesy

Now be humble enough, do your research and tell us what property in that wine made it medicinal for Timothy.

Prov 26:4 kjv Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. I have already explained this before on the purpose of alcohol. Read the comments above and stop being a child. You know what the Bible said to stupid people in 1 Cor 14, In malice, be children, but in understanding be men
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

On the contrary, I am more focused on defending the scriptures from interpretation by uninformed zealots like you. cheesy cheesy

Can you give specific answers to these scriptures? Or were the authors also concerned with "defending their idols" too? cheesy

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7

15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart

2 Pet 3:16 kjv - "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:59pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

Prov 26:4 kjv Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. I have already explained this before on the purpose of alcohol. Read the comments above and stop being a child. You know what the Bible said to stupid people in 1 Cor 14, In malice, be children, but in understanding be men

Yep, typical of religious zealots when their folly is exposed, they start quoting unrelated scriptures.

Like someone earlier mentioned to you on this thread or a similar one, drop this cloak of religiousity you're covering yourself with. Live a Spirit led life. God wants people that will worship Him in Spirit and Truth, not all these rubbish man made doctrines that have no scriptural anchors.

Enjoy your delusion till your encounter with the Truth gives you a reality check.

Just sad to see many wasted lives being involved neck deep in religion, thinking they're serving God meanwhile they're wallowing self deceit and hypocrisy cheesy cheesy

Answer those questions I put up there and shed off your religiousity cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 1:59pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

2 Pet 3:16 kjv - "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."

Same old dodging tactics.

Grow a pair and answer the questions nau cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by BassReeves: 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:
[s]Anyways, (Prov 26:4 kjv) "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him."[/s]

BassReeves:
Whatever it is, that overpowers you, that you come under its influence, that you find irresistible to overcome the urge to have, that you have no control over, that you succumb to, like for example here, you being staying ignorant, anything that you bow down to, anything that you worship aside God etc can and will be an idol in your life

Do you know one thing, the whole world hates? Can you in one word, say what that one thing is that the world and particularly someone as pompous and ignorant as you, who pretends to know everything thats to know about drinking alcohol, hates? I will take you out of your misery. It is: Truth

Truth, is a bitter pill for you to swallow that God approves drinking of alcohol.

Ignorance of biblical facts, is one of the worst kind of idolatry.

You see babe in Christ iyambz, admission of your ignorance, would be your first baby step in your education walk. I wouldn't trade and exchange slurs because I am a more respected and honour person than you are, to need to join and descend to that gutter low with you.

OkCornel:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

Yep, typical of religious zealots when their folly is exposed, they start quoting unrelated scriptures.

Like someone earlier mentioned to you on this thread or a similar one, drop this cloak of religiousity you're covering yourself with. Live a Spirit led life. God wants people that will worship Him in Spirit and Truth, not all these rubbish man made doctrines that have no scriptural anchors.

Enjoy your delusion till your encounter with the Truth gives you a reality check.

Just sad to see many wasted lives being involved neck deep in religion, thinking they're serving God meanwhile they're wallowing self deceit and hypocrisy cheesy cheesy

Answer those questions I put up there and shed off your religiousity cheesy

You are right about one thing, God desires people to worship him in spirit and in truth, not in alcohol and lie. This goes back to me text on Eph 5.
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 2:02pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

You are right about one thing, God desires people to worship him in spirit and in truth, not in alcohol and lie. This goes back to me text on Eph 5.

I guess the authors in Ecclesiastes 9 v 7 and Psalms 104 v 14-15 were serving God in alcohol and lies hmmm? cheesy

Ride on, I'm really enjoying this. This is getting interesting. Oya quote another unrelated scripture to stroke your ego cheesy
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

Same old dodging tactics.

Grow a pair and answer the questions nau cheesy cheesy cheesy

A wise preacher once said to me that there are 3 reasons to why a man will ask a question

1. He really wants to know the truth
2. He wants to know what you know
3. He wants to show you what he knows. (To show off, heady and highminded. legend in his own foolish mind).

Now what's your question again?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 2:04pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

A wise preacher once said to me that there are 3 reasons to why a man will ask a question

1. He really wants to know the truth
2. He wants to know what you know
3. He wants to show you what he knows. (To show off, heady and highminded. legend in his own foolish mind).

Now what's your question again?

1. Can you give specific answers to these scriptures? Or were the authors also concerned with "defending their idols" too?

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7

2. What was the medicinal property in the wine Paul recommended to Timothy?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

1. Can you give specific answers to these scriptures? Or were the authors also concerned with "defending their idols" too?

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7

2. What was the medicinal property in the wine Paul recommended to Timothy?

Do you really want to know the truth, or to know what I know, or to show off? haha. This is fun. It's my birthday actually, so i'm having fun.

I've already answered question number 2. Look up my response to Honeybadgerr
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 2:14pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

Do you really want to know the truth, or to know what I know, or to show off? haha. This is fun. It's my birthday actually, so i'm having fun.

I've already answered question number 2. Look up my response to Honeybadgerr

Whilst I'm enjoying this hide and seek game, please put up your answer to question 1, while I search for your answer to question 2 and reply you.

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7 and Psalms 104 v 14-15....iyambz, we are waiting smiley
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

1. God made palm wine, He made alcohol, tobacco etc.. The problem is how people use it makes it unclean (Rom 14:14 kjv). For instance, tobacco is used as a rat poison. It is also used to draw out poison from somebody ; like scorpion and bear, but people end up smoking it just like the devil in (Job 41). Same with alcohol, it is used to make medicine, not for consumption as a drink.

Interesting, but Ecclesiastes 9 v 7 and Psalms 104 v 14-15 suggests otherwise.

Back to square one, do you suggest these parts of the scriptures be ignored, hmmm?

Oh, and according to your words up here, alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes, but you're here having a tough time telling us what property in the wine was medicinal for Timothy hmmm? cheesy cheesy

Happy birthday ooo

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:

Back to square one, do you suggest these parts of the scriptures be ignored, hmmm?

Oh, and according to your words up here, alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes, but you're here having a tough time telling us what property in the wine was medicinal for Timothy hmmm? cheesy cheesy

Happy birthday ooo

Thank you for the birthday wish.

Okay back to our discussion. Let our conscience be the judge here. Now if a lost man come to your church, and everyone is drinking alcoholic drink inside the church, what do you think that man we say in his mind? Secondly, will you like the Lord to find you drinking beer in a bar when He returns?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by OkCornel(m): 5:11pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

Okay back to our discussion. Let our conscience be the judge here. Now if a lost man come to your church, and everyone is drinking alcoholic drink inside the church, what do you think that man we say in his mind? Secondly, will you like the Lord to find you drinking beer in a bar when He returns?

Hope you’re having a swell time today.

Like I mentioned earlier, the underlying issue here is not drinking, but drunkenness. Self control which is a fruit of the spirit would prevent that (drunkenness) in the life of a sincere believer. Same applies to food/gluttony.

Your question on whether the Lord would be happy to find me in a bar when He returns is more or less irrelevant. Do you recall that scripture where Jesus complained the Pharisees accused Him of eating like a glutton and drinking like a drunkard?

Shall we build on these points while I await answers to my questions on Ecclesiastes 9 v 7 and Psalms 104 v 13-15, and the medicinal property in the wine recommended to Timothy by Paul?

Let the Truth be the ultimate judge. Not guilt based on man made doctrines.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2021
Alcoholic beverages is like everything else people often misuse. Jokes, Games, Chats, Sex, Eating, Socializing, Adventure and so on can be harmful if people take it to the extreme.

For instance, Jesus wants to preach to everyone, he was sitting besides Jacob's well close to a Samaritan village, a promiscuous woman came to fetch water from the well, Jesus seized that opportunity to preach to her, Samaritans don't like chatting with Jews because the Jews always claim they're the only race worshiping the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, whereas the Samaritans are also Israelites.
So the woman wouldn't have listened if Jesus use direct approach to preach to her.
Jesus asked for a drink, she reminded Jesus of the way Jews has been hostile to Samaritans, Jesus told her "if you know me you won't hesitate to fetch me a drink" the lady responded "are you greater than our father Jacob who dig the well, drank from it and all his descendants are still drinking from it till today?"
This lady wants to prove to Jesus that Jesus can't be greater than Jacob no matter how Jews (who always feel more righteous) can claim they know God, no Jew can be greater than Jacob of blessed memory.
Then Jesus said something that might seem he's toasting the lady if i give you my own water, you won't need to be coming here all the time because it will turn to well of water in you"
Instantly the promiscuous lady started thinking perhaps this handsome Jew is trying to made advances at her so she said "please i'll like to have that water of yours" immediately Jesus realized what she's feeling so he changed the subject "go and call your husband" but she doesn't want the handsome man to change the subject now "i don't have a husband" (trying to tell Jesus that she's available) then Jesus gave her the shock of her life. "you've spoken well because you've had five men in the past and the man you're with presently you still feel like changing him" what a shocking revelation?

Even if someone in the area might have hint this young man about her past life there's no way he could have known what she's thinking about her present guy! embarassed
So she grasped what is happening this young man must be a prophet! John 4:7-19

Now this is where i'm going.
Is it not through chatting that the lady began having feelings for the young man?
If Jesus doesn't have self control he couldn't have redirect the chatting to that profitable end.
So ordinary chatting with the opposite sex can lead to sin if you lack self discipline the same is applicable to drinking alcoholic beverages. Jesus surely drank alcoholic beverages but responsibly! Luke 7:31-35 smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by BassReeves: 6:10pm On Feb 15, 2021
OkCornel:
Whilst I'm enjoying this hide and seek game, please put up your answer to question 1, while I search for your answer to question 2 and reply you.

Ecclesiastes 9 v 7 and Psalms 104 v 14-15....iyambz, we are waiting smiley

OkCornel:

Happy birthday ooo
[img]https://s2/images/iyambz.gif[/img]
Happy Birthday iyambz.
We pray you have a phenomenal swell time today.
Also pray you henceforth get all your bread and all the crumbs too.
In fact, 3 John 1:2,
"Beloved, I pray you, to prosper concerning all things and to be in good health, just as your soul prospers."

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by BassReeves: 6:46pm On Feb 15, 2021
iyambz:

Leviticus 10:8-9
'8Then the LORD said to Aaron,
9“You and your sons are not to drink wine or strong drink when you enter the Tent of Meeting, or else you will die;
this is a permanent statute for the generations to come
'

Birthday man, Leviticus 10:8-9, that you covet and earlier, used as a defence, unequivocally specifies Aaron and his sons, as who that scripture is directed to. It is does not extend to iyambz, you, any other believer or even christian, so stop unjustly yearning to posses something that belongs to another.

Numbers 6:1-4
'1And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the Lord:
3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink,
neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk
'.

Apart from people like Aaron and his sons, another set of people told not to drink alcohol are the Nazarites. Do you notice in Numbers 6:3 above, how the distinction is made between wine, strong drink aka alcohol and fruit juices. There is the mention of even fruit juice aside from wine and alcohol, that the Nazarites aren't allowed to drink.

You see, our High Priest, Christ, whose role as priest is superior to the 'Aaron and his sons' Old Testament priesthood system drank wine, strong drink aka alcohol and fruit juices. Even when on the cross at Calvary, he was given vinegar of wine to drink. Our great High Priest, even promised to drink wine with us in our Father's kingdom. I look forward to that day.

You posited a non-stater and learner's question, asking that 'Will you like the Lord to find you drinking beer in a bar when He returns?' Does, 'Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature', have at all an epiphany meaning to you?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by Ihedinobi3: 9:12am On Feb 16, 2021
iyambz:
(Eph 5:18 kjv) “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;” The will of the Lord is for you not to drink. It’s a commandment. Drinking is Bad.

51 verses from the old testament to the new testament

1. (Isa 5:22 kjv) The Bible is against drinking.
2. (Prov 20:1 kjv) You’re stupid if you drink.
3. (Hab 2:15 kjv) Woe to him that give his neighbour drink.
4. (Prov 23:29-30 kjv) Strong drink produces woes, sorrows.
5. (Lam 4:21 kjv) It leads to sin.
6. (Luke 21:34 kjv) It keeps you from God.
7. (Gen 9:20-27 kjv) Drink messed Noah up, and wicked sin was committed after which brought a curse to the seed of Ham (Ham is African).
8. (Gen 19:32-38 kjv) Lot’s incest because of drink.
9. (Lev 10:8-11 kjv) No drink for the Levi’s.
10. (Num 6:3 kjv) Separating from wine and strong drink.
11. (Deut 21:20 kjv) Drinking is one of the attributes of stubbornness and rebellion.
12. (Judges 13:4 kjv) Don’t drink wine nor strong drink.
13. (1 Kings 16: 8-10 kjv) What drinking did to Elah, king of Israel that it led to his death.
14. (1 Kings 20:13-21 kjv) What drinking did to kings.
15. (Esther 1:5-22 kjv) What drinking did to a king.
16. (Prov 21:17; 23:21 kjv) Drunkenness leads to poverty. Don’t look at drinks.
17. (Prov 23:31 kjv) Don’t look at drinks.
18. (Prov 23:32 kjv) Drink bites like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
19. (Prov 23:33 kjv) It fills the mind with impure and perverse thoughts.
20. (Prov 23:24 kjv) It brings on danger, accidents.
21. (Prov 23:35 kjv) Insensibility follows drinking.
22. (Prov 31:4-5 kjv) Officials are not supposed to drink.
23. (Ecc 2:3 kjv) King Solomon tried strong drink but at the end, he admits that it was vanity (Ecc 2:11; 12:8 kjv).
24. ((Ecc 10:17 kjv) A nation is blessed whose leader eat for strength and refrain from drunkenness.
25. (Isa 5:11-12,22; 22:13; 28:1 kjv).
26. (Isa 28:7 kjv) Prophets and priests became incapable of spiritual leading because of their drunkenness.
27. (Isa 56:12 kjv) Drinking accomplishes foolish optimism. You can’t drink your sorrow away. Put your sins under the blood of Jesus Christ.
28. (Jer 35:5-8,14,19 kjv) Total abstinence to contain God’s blessings.
29. (Dan 1:5,8,16; 10:3 kjv) Daniel refusing to drink of the king’s wine was specially blessed by the Lord.
30. (Dan 5:1-2 kjv) Tragic example of a king who drank wine and let other people to do it.
31. (Dan 5:3 kjv) Drinking leads to profane sacred things.
32. (Dan 3:25,28 kjv) Moral degradation. Drinking is a symptom and ultimately punished by God.
33. (Hos 4:10-11 kjv) Strong drink and immorality go hand in hand.
34. (Hos 7:5 kjv) The king drinking made him sick and sorrowful.
35. (Joel 3:3 kjv) Young women were sold for a price of a drink.
36. (Amos 4:1 kjv) Oppressors of the poor call for their drink.
37. (Amos 3:3-6 kjv) Evil. Not concerned about the afflictions of the poor. They make them rich.
38. (Hab 2:5 kjv) Arrogance is inflamed by drink.
39. (Hab 2:15 kjv) Not to give drink to your neighbour.
40. (Matt 24:48-51 kjv) Drinking is not consistent with alertness.
41. (Luke 1:15 kjv) The greatness of John the Baptist was likened to his total abstinence from drink.
42. (Luke 12:45 kjv) Christ warns against drunkenness.
43. (Luke 21:34 kjv) Drinking perverts men from being prepared for judgement day.
44. (Rom 13:13 kjv) Walk honestly, not in rioting and drunkenness.
45. (Rom 14:21 kjv) Christians are admonished not to drink, otherwise it will cause a brother to stumble.
46. (1 Cor 5:11 kjv) Christians are forbidden to keep company with drunkard.
47. (1 Cor 6:10 kjv) No drunkard shall inherit the kingdom of God.
48. (1 Cor 11:21 kjv) The Lord’s supper is no time for drunkenness.
49. (Gal 5:21 kjv) No inheritance in the kingdom of God.
50. (1 Tim 3:3,8 kjv) Church leaders are not to be given to wine.
51. (Eph 5:18 kjv) Christians are commanded not to be drunk in wine, but be filled with the Spirit.

Check your heart. If that drink doesn't lighten you up, will you take it?

Hi there.

I am pretty sure that in more than a few cases here, you misunderstood the Bible's position, and in others, you misapplied them completely.

The Bible is not against drinking wine. It just warns against drunkenness.

If then anyone is likely to drink to the point of being drunk if they start drinking, then they would be wiser not to drink at all. Otherwise, it is not a sin for them to not drink at all.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by MightySparrow: 9:54am On Feb 16, 2021
Pavore9:

And the first miracle attributed to Jesus was turning water into what?

How many got intoxicated after the party?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by BassReeves: 4:25pm On Feb 16, 2021
MightySparrow:
How many got intoxicated after the party?
They behaved themselves, so one is recorded as got intoxicated after the party. The only person who might have would be the MC aka master of the banquet
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by MightySparrow: 3:54pm On Feb 17, 2021
BassReeves:
They behaved themselves, so one is recorded as got intoxicated after the party. The only person who might have would be the MC aka master of the banquet
Wine, his own recipe?
Re: Can A Christian Drink An Alcoholic Drink? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:30pm On Feb 17, 2021
NO! NO!! NO!!!
There can never be a party where people don't get intoxicated after the merriment. Note that It wasn't the gathering of Christians.
So Jesus has no influence on the invitees he only controls those who believe in him and as at that point in time even his mother doesn't believe in Jesus' teachings.
The master of the ceremony said it all "Other people always bring the good wine first during parties so that when most invitees are inebriated the inferior is good to go, but you have kept the fine wine until now" {John 2:10} meaning it's when people gets drunk that you can start serving the inferior so that Bafana-Bafana guys can have their way!

The account didn't start with the beginning of the wedding ceremony neither did it talk about how it ended so nobody can say there wasn't drunkenness after the party since Jesus wasn't in control of the invitees! smiley

BassReeves:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Transatlantic Slave Trade And The Biblical 144000 / Is It Right To Marry A Divorcee: Pastor Chris / Pastor Kumuyi Raised A Dead Woman. How True Is This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.