Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures (784 Views)

Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos] / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings / Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Queenlovely(f): 6:26pm On Feb 13, 2021
I was wondering why my hausa brothers will not learn the language of their host Community, they don't go to the general school,they have their own school, they have their own market, they live in special neighborhood. They don't share anything with their host Community, They live by a different set of rules within the same society. They have their own mentors, leaders and role models, they don't watch Nollywood, they created their own movie industry. They have their own security outfit, law,

This Type of life is called a parallel society, They created a society within a society. When they travel outside their state, they live in Ama hausa, the only thing they either share with their host Community is the religion.

In 2017, Donald Trump complained that Muslims don't assimilate the American culture, rather they create a parallel culture. This is true, They don't bother to learn English at least, because they live amongst fellow Muslims. Such Community harbor wanted criminals from the law and become safe haven for terrorist to recruit, no wonder mosque are spied upon to make sure it doesn't become a terrorist breeding ground.

Even in Abuja, we notice same thing. the mosque is the center of their Community, most of them use the mosque as their home, they can commit and run into mosque for shelter. their Community will not easily give them up.

That is why most Northern Nigerians are still illiterate, until the government can penetrate this bubble they created for themselves, it will be difficult to take education to the northern states.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Omihanifa: 6:38pm On Feb 13, 2021
You are very correct. An average Hausa person doesn't like mixing with other tribes.
Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by budaatum: 6:47pm On Feb 13, 2021
Queenlovely:
I was wondering why my hausa brothers will not learn the language of their host Community, they don't go to the general school,they have their own school, they have their own market, they live in special neighborhood. They don't share anything with their host Community, They live by a different set of rules within the same society. They have their own mentors, leaders and role models, they don't watch Nollywood, they created their own movie industry. They have their own security outfit, law,

I guess one would expect this from a person who has not himself bothered to share with their Hausa brothers. Those of us who have shared can not possibly share your opinion.

There are third and fourth generation Hausas in the Orolu Kingdom of Ifon Osun. They came to buy kolanut to die ankara and many have stayed on and married and borne offspring whom today speak more Yoruba than Hausa and marry the locals too. Today, they import maize and beans from the North to package in Ifon for transport to sell all over Yorubaland and if they do not tell you they are Hausas you'd likely never know they are not Yorubas.

You can not keep people at armslenght then accuse them of staying away from you unless your intent is ungood. I will suggest you share so you can be shared with.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Tolexander: 6:48pm On Feb 13, 2021
Even in Abuja, we notice same thing. the mosque is the center of their Community, most of them use the mosque as their home, they can commit and run into mosque for shelter. their Community will not easily give them up.
This is very true about the tertiary institutions in the southern part of Nigeria
Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Fahdiga(m): 6:50pm On Feb 13, 2021
Both Hausas and Fulanis are too primitive. if not for southern Nigeria they would still be living in stone age

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by descarado: 6:51pm On Feb 13, 2021
Not Hausa but not generally although I may say this is untrue.
Very very untrue
Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 13, 2021
Arrrrrrrh

You are mixing religion and culture as one. The fact you are generalizing this shows how one-sided you are. Or you have little information about and you don't know them.

I stay in the North, I have stayed with this people and I have known thier lifestyle. So now back to your post what is do you mean by hausa people don't assimilate?

They do, the major problem here is that, most of thier culture are oversee by religion. 75% of hausa culture are moral in the Islam faith. But if a hausa man can be able to do away with religion to some extent you will understand that they can assimilate.

Particularly to your second paragraph what made them close is nothing but religion. They can do away thier differences to relate with one another in a group if religion is involve. But if you find them in school, remove religion you will understand that they mix with people. But the only people who mix well are those who drop religion to some extent.

Third paragraph was not spur by hausa or its culture rather it was spur by religion as I have said earlier.

They are not illiterate, as a matter of fact religion govern thier attitude no matter how schooled they are. You said dress, movies that true because they won't condone anything that transpired against thier religion that is why they have thier own things done in thier own ways.

So in general, thier extreme religious fanaticism is the basic of all this you wrote about hausa. I have known certain Hausas who assimilate well to an extent you won't be able to tell where they come from.

Don't you see how football legend Mo sallah do celebrate Christmas with his family on Instagram. By checking the post you will see how this people castigate him because according to Islam it is a taboo.

So like I have said, their extreme religious fanaticism is the basic of all this you wrote about hausa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Kennyfancy(m): 5:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by ZKOSOSO(m): 1:56pm On Feb 22, 2021
It's simply caused by Islam. It's never an all comers faith like the Christian community. Islam sees the world as ''we vs them''
Hateful and vengeful in practice. Muslims in the midst of Christians community always feel jittery because they know very clearly that Islamic tenets and Christianity are directly opposite and will never mix as Oil and water..!!
So they are protective of their all. Women are the most priced possessions of Muslims. They have a million laws that reserved their women to themselves solely. They kidnap Christian women for marriage when opportunity like political Power, Might and Economic advantage provide in core North. This is because no southern Christian Man will allow his daughter to be converted to muslim. So they force it.
Re: Why Hausa Don't Assimilate Other Cultures by Armaggedon: 5:51pm On Feb 24, 2021
Some of your assertions are wrong. Hausas do watch nollywood movies, although more secretly. Also, Some old Hausa communities in the East have Igbo speakers, although they still live separately.

(1) (Reply)

Erelu Tinuade Frowns At Installation Of Chinese Woman As Iyalaje Of Iru-land / Hip, Buttocks & Breast Enlargement Oil / List Of Shows/concerts/events/exhibitions In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.