Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? (16065 Views)

Why Did Jesus ask those he healed not to tell others : Pastor Chris / Did Jesus Ask Christians To Pay Tithe? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:39am On Feb 28, 2021
Myer:

Because leading the church was going to test every fibre of him. Only absolute love could make him withstand the challenges that come with the position.
Thanks Myer for this. Really appreciate.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by PrinceMajestic: 9:40am On Feb 28, 2021
jesus was gay. spent all his life with 12 men and didn't find 1 woman appealing enough. wtf? who does that except gay looking out for men that love them
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by IYANGBALI: 9:41am On Feb 28, 2021
Me too I wonder o

Please I really want to know, is Abuja still the Carpenter of Nigeria?
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Ellasure: 9:41am On Feb 28, 2021
In that story our Lord Jesus Christ was playing for the future when he would no longer be around. Calling Peter three times is for emphasis on the importance of the message and Jesus Christ was confirming the leadership position of Peter in the presence of those at the table to avoid future disputations.

The good Lord Jesus Christ know the changeability status of the heart of mind of man . So He sought to plant words into the heart of Peter in future backsliding state to remember and thus be able to retrace his way back to re establish the kingdom of God on earth as in the churches today.

And do you know what? It worked wonders when Jesus Christ died and the desciples were scattered it was the rememberance of these words of our Lord Jesus Christ that Kindled the coming back together of the desciples and encouragement of the preaching and spreading of Christianity then and till today.

Let the same words bless you today as it blessed millions of people in the ages past. Don't struggle just think, obey and be blessed.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Dubembiafra: 9:50am On Feb 28, 2021
Peter denied Jesus 3times, that question Jesus asked Peter 3 times was to redeem him 3 times as well, Peter's sin was more serious than that of Judas but Peter had the grace to ask for forgiveness
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Goldeno(m): 9:51am On Feb 28, 2021
Okortor:
I pray that this month ends with all bad luck and disappointment in our lives in JESUS MIGHTY NAME AMEN AND AMEN
What kind of prayer is this , this is how you'll be laying courses on yourselves. SMH
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by psalmistkakah(m): 9:53am On Feb 28, 2021
Test of Faith
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 28, 2021
sonmvayina:
Why would the disciples even desert him if they knew he was God. ?

Just a badly wriiten tale..

1. He never said he was God

2. He is the son of God, not God

3. His disciples desert him because he told them to do so either by words of his mouth or actions. A vivid example was when he was getting arrested and Peter cut down the ear of one of the guys sent to arrest him

But Jesus calm them down and fix back the ear

4. Another reason why they desert him was because it was meant to be so.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Oyinlomobambam(m): 9:59am On Feb 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times?

John 21:15-17 (KJV)

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him,
Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

I'm sure Peter would have wondered what was actually going on when Jesus who knew him very well and that he had forsaking everything to follow Him, would still be asking him, "lovest thou me?" And not just once but three good times, because if anyone should know that Peter loved Him it should be Jesus Himself.

But Jesus very well knew what He was talking about because His sheep meant everything to Him. That's why He would lay down His life for them as a good Shepherd would.

So Jesus already knew that Peter loved Him,
but the question was not if Peter loved Him, but how much Peter loved Him. If Peter loved Him to the extent that he would take His sheep as He took them, and love and care for His sheep the way He did, because He had given His all for His sheep, and was going leave them in Peter's care, so it mattered a whole lot to Him that who He was going to leave His sheep with cared for His sheep as He would.

If Jesus could yet ask Peter who had proven his love for Him beyond any reasonable doubt, if He loved Him three times, I wonder how many times He would ask most of today's church leaders that same question. Because even the love Peter had for Jesus, most of them do not have, so how much more the love Jesus had for His sheep?

Moreover Jesus saying "feed my sheep" to Peter repeatedly on this occasion doesn't mean just giving them food or any kind of food, but the right kind of food, even that which the good Shepherd would feed them with if He were there with them - the kind of food that would lead to eternal life.

May God help us with leaders who would care for the sheep as Jesus did, and do everything they could to ensure that they're not lost to the enemy but preserved til the day the good Shepherd returns for His sheep. Amen!

I am more concerned about Jesus sheep, what later happened to them?
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by BassReeves: 10:01am On Feb 28, 2021
BassReeves:
I am a freeborn and slave liberator.
I freed a thousand slaves and more, if you only humble yourself to know you are not just only a slave but are a lose, you could be 1001, on that, a thousand and more list.

sunshineV:
even worse, a delusional slave
What's your birthday? Make out a wish list and add a dictionary on it, so to know what the meaning of 'a freeborn and slave liberator' is
You are a slave. You are born into bondage. You are not ready to be set free, I understand that and that is because you are so inured
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by sunshineV(f): 10:05am On Feb 28, 2021
BassReeves:

What's your birthday? Make out a wish list and add a dictionary on it, so to know what the meaning of 'a freeborn and slave liberator' is
You are a slave. You are born into bondage. You are not ready to be set free, I understand that and that is because you are so inured
a delusional blind slave. intresting
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by compton11(m): 10:08am On Feb 28, 2021
Ellasure:
In that story our Lord Jesus Christ was playing for the future when he would no longer be around. Calling Peter three times is for emphasis on the importance of the message and Jesus Christ was confirming the leadership position of Peter in the presence of those at the table to avoid future disputations.

The good Lord Jesus Christ know the changeability status of the heart of mind of man . So He sought to plant words into the heart of Peter in future backsliding state to remember and thus be able to retrace his way back to re establish the kingdom of God on earth as in the churches today.

And do you know what? It worked wonders when Jesus Christ died and the desciples were scattered it was the rememberance of these words of our Lord Jesus Christ that Kindled the coming back together of the desciples and encouragement of the preaching and spreading of Christianity then and till today.

Let the same words bless you today as it blessed millions of people in the ages past. Don't struggle just think, obey and be blessed.
Jesus refused being called good ,what u calling him good?
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by kaywon: 10:09am On Feb 28, 2021
I learned that it was meant to counter Peter's earlier denial of Jesus, because there is power in spoken word.

Peter had spiritually dissociated himself from the Master (from the household of faith) when he denied Jesus out of fear during the time Jesus was being brutalized. By spiritual implication, Peter needed to reconfess and be grafted back into the body of Christ. Otherwise he would not have a part in the Lord.

So, Jesus carefully fulfilled a spiritual law by making Peter confess with his mouth. Rom 10:9

Three times Peter denied Him. Three times He needed to be readmitted in the Beloved
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by BassReeves: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2021
sunshineV:
a delusional blind slave. intresting
Interesting, we have a broken record.
One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see as a freeborn and slave liberator
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Goldeno(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2021
IYANGBALI:
Me too I wonder o

Please I really want to know, is Abuja still the Carpenter of Nigeria?

Truly there are many craze people in Nigeria cheesy

carpenter ko plumber ni
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Jones4190(m): 10:28am On Feb 28, 2021
If you read the original greek you'll see peter could not say that he loved Him.He actually said Lord you know that I am fond of you.The third time Jesus did not ask Peter if he loved Him,He asked are you fond of me,that's why Peter broke down,he couldn't say it,but the great grace of our lord still said feed my sheep.Its never been about how much we love Him it's how much He loves us.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by HotPoundedYam(m): 10:37am On Feb 28, 2021
ikorodureporta:
na we b gzus bodyguard
lol
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by HotPoundedYam(m): 10:37am On Feb 28, 2021
ikorodureporta:
na we b gzus bodyguard
lol
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by sunshineV(f): 10:38am On Feb 28, 2021
BassReeves:
Interesting, we have a broken record.
One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see as a freeborn and slave liberator
u still blind as a bat
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by XshegzzyeeiX: 10:44am On Feb 28, 2021
Keep the comment coming. I'm learning.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by BassReeves: 10:47am On Feb 28, 2021
sunshineV:
u still blind as a bat
You are not only blind as a bat, but you have blinkers on on top too.

We can disagree, that you are not a slave and still respect and love each other, unless your disagreement is rooted in some deep seated disappointment, frustration and hurt, and if for all any or all of that, then my commiseration
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by femi4: 10:51am On Feb 28, 2021
For someone that just denied you three times and went back into fishing....you need assurance that when you leave he would not depart from the master plan cos the Church was built upon Peter.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 28, 2021
falcon01:
because jesus was Insecure AF
Who the fvck does that? And to another man for that matter.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2021
sonmvayina:

.with lot of plot holes.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
They were the false disciples...

Moreover even the "people of God" Israel deserted God in the wilderness and made a golden calf for themselves to worship so nothing there.
If the people that we're with him at that can detect the bullshit from what he is saying and flee from him, what make you think you know better after thousands of years?

You won't take someone opinion about an event when you literally lived through it.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by micflo28(m): 11:02am On Feb 28, 2021
He asked Peter that question thrice because he had seen ahead that Peter will betray him thrice but a reminder never to abandon his sheep's when he is gone. He understands Peter's importance to the continuation of Christianity on earth. He reminded him that he should never let his betraying human nature deviate his assignment on spreading the word of God.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by cRAFTsVEN: 11:04am On Feb 28, 2021
Tonniex:
Because Peter denied him 3 times, and he did that to restore Peter's ministry in the presence of others so that no one will accuse him again...
So Peter became the pillar for Jesus'
`
Oyel!
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2021
sonmvayina:

If it was you, and you have been following the son of the creator of heaven and earth for three years, and some police men appear to arrest him, will you run away or desert him?
He is coward hence why he keeps coming back, people wey dey with am LIVE japa but this coward just read about it in an ancient folktales couple with massive indoctrination from birth, he always feel lost and instead of facing reality for what it is he choose to be a coward.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him,
Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

I'm sure Peter would have wondered what was actually going on when Jesus who knew him very well and that he had forsaking everything to follow Him, would still be asking him, "lovest thou me?" And not just once but three good times, because if anyone should know that Peter loved Him it should be Jesus Himself.

But Jesus very well knew what He was talking about because His sheep meant everything to Him. That's why He would lay down His life for them as a good Shepherd would.

but the question was not if Peter loved Him, but how much Peter loved Him. If Peter loved Him to the extent that he would take His sheep as He took them, and love and care for His sheep the way He did, because He had given His all for His sheep, and was going leave them in Peter's care, so it mattered a whole lot to Him that who He was going to leave His sheep with cared for His sheep as He would.

If Jesus could yet ask Peter who had proven his love for Him beyond any reasonable doubt, if He loved Him three times, I wonder how many times He would ask most of today's church leaders that same question. Because even the love Peter had for Jesus, most of them do not have, so how much more the love Jesus had for His sheep?

Moreover Jesus saying "feed my sheep" to Peter repeatedly on this occasion doesn't mean just giving them food or any kind of food, but the right kind of food, even that which the good Shepherd would feed them with if He were there with them - the kind of food that would lead to eternal life.

May God help us with leaders who would care for the sheep as Jesus did, and do everything they could to ensure that they're not lost to the enemy but preserved til the day the good Shepherd returns for His sheep. Amen!

Na gay question be that
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nobody: 11:10am On Feb 28, 2021
dazzlingd:

Because they know their god is a bully morafuker....
And he really bleeped dem up for messing with him with the golden calf, he was so jealous he slew them without joy
How petite can a person be.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by tonyson010(m): 11:24am On Feb 28, 2021
sonmvayina:

I would like to attempt Ur question.

For they are human being. You will ask what is being a human .

To be a human being, you have to have flesh with a heart(mind) and a spirit. This 3 interact and help in our decision making. The degree of control each has over the other differs from person to person.... we can to a good extent, programme them by ourselves into different hierarchy, so that they can have different level of superiority in affecting our decision making.

Even Jesus Christ when He saw what would face while praying before the soldiers came and took him away, the flesh became stubborn, but in His spirit, he accepted. On the cross, He cried out. What more of us ?

The mind can override the flesh when faced with pains, likewise the spirit can override both, it depends on what they all agree to fight for and sacrifice for.
In all, the flesh is the first point of contact and it has its own ability to decide without consulting the others in certain cases.
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by ejimatic: 11:24am On Feb 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

Feed my sheep.

. Do you love me more than these? This event took place after trial death resurrection and appearance of Jesus to many people including Peter himself after his resurrection The setting was beside river Gallilee.Jesus once gain came and saw Peter who was catching fish.He asked him three times Do you love me more than these? THESE refers to fish he had caught before Jesus arrival.Jesus asked him three times because he knew he had huge tasks for Peter after his ascension to heaven. Peter must be willing to make sacrifices and forgo the fishing business so as to concentrate on the work.Indeed Peter later became a strong member of the christian congregation in 33CE and later a Governing Council member in the first century CE .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Are We From and What Is Our Purpose On Earth? / Daddy Freeze: Don't Be Deceived By Hypocrisy Of Men! By Omooba77 / Living Faith Church Has Six Million Members Across 147 Countries – Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.