Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,218 members, 7,849,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:34 AM

INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo (585 Views)

U.K. To Join US In Issuing Visa Bans Over Lagos Elections Ethnic Violence / Tinubu, Obi Take Battle For 2023 To Ethnic Groups / How Sunday Igboho Rose To Prominence: The Inside Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 14, 2021
Several people have lost their lives after a clash triggered by the fatal stabbing of a cobbler by a cart pusher in Sasha market, Ibadan, Oyo State, degenerated into an ethnic conflict.

The two men had a misunderstanding on Thursday and in the process, the cart pusher, said to be a Hausa man, stabbed the cobbler, said to be a Yoruba man, with a knife.

PREMIUM TIMES could not independently verify the ethnicity of the two men and there is no evidence that their fight was caused by ethnic issues.

The stabbed victim was confirmed dead in a hospital on Friday morning, leading to crisis in the community between the Hausa and the Yorubas, with the latter group trying to avenge the death of their tribesman.

Within hours, the conflict spread beyond the market, as the Hausa and Yoruba communities in Akinyele Local Government Area, where the market is located, went after each other.

Witnesses told PREMIUM TIMES that, at least, six people died from both sides in the reprisal attacks. Various shops and houses were burnt while the market was deserted in the process.

“The reprisal attacks have led to the death of at least six people from the side of the Yorubas and the Hausas. In fact, many people in the community have scampered for safety,” a resident of Akinyele, who simply identified himself as Khalid, said.

Another witness who did not want his name mentioned told PREMIUM TIMES that “no one is safe. People have been rendered homeless. I know of 15 houses that have been razed and you can’t tell if your home is next. What matters is safety, so people have deserted their homes”.

Random killings

On Saturday morning, some Yoruba thugs blocked various highways, asking passengers to identify their ethnic groups Sources told this newspaper that those who were identified as Hausa were forced out of vehicles and attacked by the hoodlums.

“Once you are an Hausa person, you will be dragged down from the car and be killed by the Yorubas who ordinary to them were avenging the death of the cobbler killed by a Hausa man,” a witness, who said he saw several lifeless bodies at Moniya area of Ibadan, told PREMIUM TIMES.

As the killings continued, the military stormed the community in an attempt to stop the reprisal attacks and destruction of properties.

Speaking on the incident, the Oyo State police spokesperson, Olugbenga Fadeyi, who confirmed the incident, said normalcy is gradually returning in the area.

“Massive Police deployment and that of the sister security agencies were made to douse tension. Critical stakeholders have also been consulted to appeal to the people.”

Makinde imposes curfew

In order to forestall breakdown of law and order in the market and its environments, Governor Seyi Makinde on Saturday imposed an indefinite curfew in the area.

The governor in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Taiwo Adisa, said anyone caught perpetrating violence will face the wrath of the law.

His Excellency, Governor Seyi Makinde has directed the immediate closure of Shasha market indefinitely following reports of a breach of peace in the area.

“The governor has also approved the imposition of (a) curfew on Shasha. It will run from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. Residents of the affected area are enjoined to go about their legitimate businesses within the hours stipulated by the law.

“Anyone caught disrupting the peace of the community will be made to face the wrath of the law,” the statement read.

Governors, monarch weigh in

The governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, and his counterparts in Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, urged citizens not to allow a misunderstanding to degenerate into violence, maiming, and killing.

Mr Fayemi in a statement by his spokesperson, Yinka Oyebode, said “we do not need any act of violence leading to the unnecessary death of citizens. Now is the time for the leadership of various ethnic nationalities, trading groups, and security agencies to halt the orgy of violence in Shasha area and work towards ensuring peace in different parts of the country.

“We will enjoy enduring peace and progress through dialogue, mutual respect, and understanding for one another. Violence and attendant death and destruction would only spell doom for the country.

“While commending Governor Makinde for his timely intervention in the crisis, we also express our sympathy to families of the victims as well as those who have lost properties and businesses during the crisis,” Mr Fayemi, the Chairman of the Nigeria Governors Forum, said.

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Saliu Adetunji, in a statement also urged people to eschew violence and bitterness by ensuring that minor conflicts do not degenerate to unnecessary tension.

He said “many of our compatriots have been living with each other for a long time. We grow up and attend schools together. People from diverse ethnic groups do inter marry and give birth to lovely children.”

Speaking on the crisis, he said “immediately the report of the crisis got to us in the palace yesterday (Friday), the Governor of Oyo State, Engr. Seyi Makinde was the first person I called and we have his promise that appropriate action would be taken as sinners would not go unpunished,” the monarch said.

Nigerians trend #StopKillingNortherners

In response to the clash, Nigerians on social media have been trending #StopKillingNortherners hashtag on Twitter.

Some of the tweets are as follows:

#StopKillingNortherners is a polite call by northern youths to their southern brothers for peace, protection & justice.

Do not harm anyone that is innocent.

Do not destroy their business.

Whenever a criminal is caught, do not apply jungle justice.

Let us stand by each other. pic.twitter.com/TIJVil0iHy

— Dokun Ojomo (@DokunOjomo) February 14, 2021

Reminder; Yesterday, Yoruba boys went on rampage on northerners in Oyo state Burning trailers, destroying shops, killing & burning any Northerner in sight and the president & Nigeria media are silent about about it! Use your keyboard to keep spreading it #StopKillingNortherners

— ������� (@Mohnice_) February 14, 2021

#StopKillingNortherners

Retweet aggressively  pic.twitter.com/MgC6E5JjcN

— nuratu (@Nuratumatawalle) February 14, 2021

Let's keep it going, just retweet and tweet anything with #StopKillingNortherners until we're heard! We need JUSTICE! pic.twitter.com/6meKwcR6ek

— F A A R E E S  (@MFaarees_) February 14, 2021

If u still defend this government after all we have seen , you r an abomination to mankind

And if u r killing a fellow citizen when the real enemies r at aso rock living exotic life style
Then u r d biggest fool of all time#StopKillingNortherners

— THE KING HERSELF. (@_hafsat_paki) February 13, 2021

we've not forgotten the gruesome killing of our people and the destruction of their properties by Yoruba thugs in Ibadan of Oyo State, Hausa people were burned alive yesterday and the government is still mute about it, we need justice, Enough is enough. #StopKillingNortherners pic.twitter.com/k84ht6cbFY

— F A A R E E S  (@MFaarees_) February 14, 2021

I never planned to spend my whole day online but i can fold my hands seeing how our brothers being massacred in Southern States but no one is speaking up or ready to take action among our Northern Governors, Reps, Senators or even the President. #StopKillingNortherners

— My Deen My Swag  (@AM_Saleeem) February 13, 2021

As we woke up today our thoughts and prayers are with the innocent northern Muslims being killed yesterday in oyo state. An unforgettable day for the northerners. remember, We won't stop raising our voices until the government act and do the needful. #StopKillingNortherners

— t e e j a y (@Ahmad___v) February 14, 2021

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/442757-inside-story-how-artisans-fight-led-to-ethnic-violence-in-oyo.html?fbclid=IwAR2PHNy47I0cJyEyDLMKEmr_Xz5FmxI7iX99by6cJWRftKAinDPeFr-OBKo
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 14, 2021
On Saturday morning, some Yoruba thugs blocked various highways, asking passengers to identify their ethnic groups Sources told this newspaper that those who were identified as Hausa were forced out of vehicles and attacked by the hoodlums.
“Once you are an Hausa person, you will be dragged down from the car and be killed by the Yorubas

Holy Moses..

What did I just read?

May the souls of the departed rest in peace as they continue to cry for Justice.
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by sammy329(m): 11:41am On Feb 14, 2021
sad
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by AJOBI77(m): 11:57am On Feb 14, 2021
The question is: Why do govt and security agencies always act when things have already gotten out of hand? Security personnel should not be deployed after incidents; It should be prior . Immediately after the incident of the one-on-one guys, security agencies should have been at alert. GOD help my country
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Elvictor: 11:58am On Feb 14, 2021
Useless Northerners

grin cheesy

Afonjas only gave you a tip of your medicine you guys have turned to wailing wailers

4 Likes

Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 14, 2021
Elvictor:
Useless Northerners

grin cheesy

Afonjas only gave you a tip of your medicine you guys have turned to wailing wailers

Hmmmm.
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by BigSarah(f): 12:39pm On Feb 14, 2021
Never thought I'd see this North and West fracas, all for 2023
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by sweetonugbu: 12:50pm On Feb 14, 2021
This osagyefo89 is enemy within, he may be given birth in this country but he is not a Nigerian, his stock in trade is stocking ethnic tension, you will never see him where Nigerian citizens is discussing how to make Nigeria better, he is against IGBO, YORUBA, HAUSA etc, please beware of him. Thanks
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Omoluabi1stborn: 12:52pm On Feb 14, 2021
sweetonugbu:
This osagyefo89 is enemy within, he may be given birth in this country but he is not a Nigerian, his stock in trade is stocking ethnic tension, you will never see him where Nigerian citizens is discussing how to make Nigeria better, he is against IGBO, YORUBA, HAUSA etc, please beware of him. Thanks

I swear.
You're correct.
Check his post history .
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 14, 2021
sweetonugbu:

Lol, very petty of you to assassinate people's character.

Try and live without living in fear, suspicion and shadow.

Thank you too.
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by sweetonugbu: 12:56pm On Feb 14, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

I swear.
You're correct.
Check his post history .

a green snake in a green grass
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 14, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

I swear.
You're correct.
Check his post history .

Ipob with yoruba moniker.

Shame on you.

You couldn't even stand for igbo but had to create an alternate moniker just to prove a point of propganda.

Nnamdi kanu and his followers are purely useless.
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 14, 2021
sweetonugbu:
a green snake in a green grass

Well that's good as far as Nnamdi Kanu and his useless Ipob starts and ends in Abia state...

He should stop wasting the lives of citizens of other independent states by proxy
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by sweetonugbu: 1:01pm On Feb 14, 2021
Osagyefo98:

Well that's good as far as Nnamdi Kanu and his useless Ipob starts and ends in Abia state...

He should stop wasting the lives of citizens of other independent states by proxy
what brought Ipob inside this matter, am not a member of Ipob I am interested in anything that will move this country forward, I want to live in Nigeria that I am proud to be a citizen, or a peaceful dissolution.
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 14, 2021
sweetonugbu:
what brought Ipob inside this matter, am not a member of Ipob I am interested in anything that will move this country forward, I want to live in Nigeria that I am proud to be a citizen, or a peaceful dissolution.

Well the news is a reality and that's what happened.

Stop living in pains of our harmless submission here.

We must never agree with you which shows our part lies differently with yours..

You might be an idealist but I am a realist.
Re: INSIDE STORY: How Artisans’ Fight Led To Ethnic Violence In Oyo by sweetonugbu: 1:12pm On Feb 14, 2021
Osagyefo98:

Well the news is a reality and that's what happened.

Stop living in pains of our harmless submission here.

We must never agree with you which shows our part lies differently with yours..

You might be an idealist but I am a realist.
a word is enough

(1) (Reply)

The Fulani As The North’s Bogeyman, By Hassan Gimba / Breaking: Gunmen Burn Down Another Imo State Police Station Today / Nigeria: 11 Countries That Split Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.