Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

“we’re All One Sickness Away From Poverty” — A Week In The Life Of A Caregiver - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / “we’re All One Sickness Away From Poverty” — A Week In The Life Of A Caregiver (194 Views)

Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel / Woman Who Knocked On Coffin At Her Funeral Dies After Week In Hospital / OHAI Changed The Life Of A 72-Year-Old Woman Through Surgery (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

“we’re All One Sickness Away From Poverty” — A Week In The Life Of A Caregiver by BigCabal: 9:50pm On Feb 14, 2021
The subject of today’s “A Week In The Life” is a medical practitioner who has been taking care of a sick parent since last year August. He tells us about the frustrations of the healthcare system, the mind-blowing financial costs and the emotional tolls an illness exerts on a person.

MONDAY:
My days are so similar that they’ve become a blur — it starts at 6 a.m. and ends at 9 p.m. From the minute I wake up and take my bath, I’m running errands: get X tests done here, buy Y drugs at another place, run to Z place to get blood. I’m always on the move because there’s usually a lot happening with a sick person. My first errand today is buying antibiotics outside the hospital for my dad. I start my waka by making a few calls to pharmacies to compare the prices of the medicine. After securing a decent price, I make arrangements for pickup and delivery.

It’s 4 p.m the next time I look at a clock. Between running around to pick up medicines and calling my mum for updates about my dad, I wonder where my day went. I also don’t remember if I’ve eaten today. But I don’t have time to ponder over this because I have to take over from my mum in the ward — we alternate the cleaning and feeding of my dad — while she goes home. Depending on my dad’s mood when I’m done feeding him, we either have a conversation or he asks to sleep. He’s in the mood for a conversation today, so I pass time with him while waiting for the doctors to start their evening rounds. I can’t wait to leave the ward, get food and sleep because the cycle begins again tomorrow.

TUESDAY:
When the doctor told me that my dad’s condition was multiple myeloma, I cried because I had no one to vent to. Multiple Myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells, and one of the symptoms is brittle bones. The damage to my dad was so bad that his hip removed from its joint. I’ll never forget the days leading up to his admission at the hospital. We were always home alone [Mumsi had to go to work]. One morning, I broke his hand while trying to move him from the bed to a chair. One minute I was trying to move him and the next, I heard a loud kpa sound. I was so scared because I had never seen so much shock and pain on my dad’s face before. For his sake, I had to compose myself and reassure him that it’d be okay. I called his physiotherapist immediately I left his room, shouting, “My daddy’s hand has broken. It has broken.” Even though the physiotherapist gave me first aid tips, my mind was still not at rest. I experienced flashbacks where I’d relive the memory of the bone breaking throughout that week. In the middle of a task, I’d hear the kpa breaking sound and become sad all over again. This memory is why I can’t complain about the hospital stress because I know whatever pain I’m going through, my dad is going through times ten of it.

It’s sad to say this but I’d been shielded from reality as a medical practitioner before this. Being on the other side has shown me what patients and their relatives pass through. My mum and I had to rent a hotel outside the hospital because the “living area” allocated for patients’ relatives is jam-packed because we’re in the middle of a pandemic, and the general building design is not old people friendly.

One time my dad needed blood and I kept following up with the blood bank for three days without show. It wasn’t until the fourth day when I went to the blood bank with a friend, who was a medical practitioner in the hospital, that they finally attended to my dad’s case. I was livid and people had to hold me from losing my shit. It’s crazy that I had to know someone to get blood. Since that day, I started wearing my scrubs to the blood bank and the ward since we’re all mad.

WEDNESDAY:
My dad got admitted at the hospital on a Thursday, and I remember thinking to myself: “The health care system is bleeped.” My first introduction to the anyhowness of the system was when I had to carry my dad on a wheelchair to the last floor twice. Apparently, there was light but the elevator wasn’t working. I know I paid at least nine people ₦500 here and there to either help me lift my dad or fast track his settling in. That first week was also difficult because we didn’t have access to my dad except during visiting hours, and he required constant attention. In retrospect that first week wasn’t bad. At least compared to the weeks that followed. We still had peace, and he was still responding to chemotherapy. If only we had known that the coming weeks would show us pepper.

Continue: https://www.zikoko.com/money/hustle/were-all-one-sickness-away-from-poverty-a-week-in-the-life-of-a-caregiver/
Re: “we’re All One Sickness Away From Poverty” — A Week In The Life Of A Caregiver by Goco(m): 8:05am On Feb 15, 2021
If this story is really true, let the person involved contact me. We have treated a similar case of Multiple Myeloma who was on wheel chair even after surgery. Her case was critical but to the glory of God today she is perfectly fine after our Therapy.

Right now, she can stand, walk, move, run and do many other things to the amazement of doctors.

Click here my Health page on Facebook to watch her improvements. We videoed her testimony. It's the first post on the page.

https://m.facebook.com/Your-Health-107826354087027/?ref=bookmarks

There is still HOPE for any patient in life even those the doctors have given up on.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Unveils Local Covid-19 Remedy Approved By NAFDAC / Benefits Of Locust Beans / This Meat From Feathers Is The Best Because It Has No Fat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.