Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,572 members, 7,820,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Where Elections Won’t Hold ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Elections Won’t Hold ! (3996 Views)

Local Governments And Wards Where Elections Will Take Place In IMO State On 25th / 2015 General Elections Won’t Be Postponed – Goodluck Jonathan / Where Elections Won’t Hold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by wales(m): 7:03am On Apr 08, 2011
Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega, again assured the nation of the readiness of his commission for tomorrow’s National Assembly election even as the problem of logistics appeared to be far from over.

As the INEC Chairman was reeling out arrangements made for the election, yesterday, sources as at the commission disclosed that logistics challenges being faced by the electoral agency were still very much on ground and that “all he was saying was a mere window dressing.”

Jega confirmed at a news briefing the exclusive report by Daily Sun that election would not hold in some senatorial districts and federal constituencies, disclosing that elections had been suspended in 15 out of the 109 senatorial districts and 48 out of the 360 federal constituencies spread across 27 states.

The election, Jega said, had been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 26 when the governorship and state Assemblies elections would be held. According to Jega, areas where election would not hold represented 86 per cent of the senatorial districts and 87 per cent of the federal constituencies, and that the election would not be held in those areas because the commission could not meet up with the printing of ballot papers to cover all the areas.

He stated that the commission met both local and foreign contractors on the possibility of having fresh ballot papers printed before Saturday and seeing the impracticability and the fact that the commission did not want to take chances, it decided to postpone the elections so that printers would have two weeks within which to supply the papers.

The INEC boss also admitted the logistics challenges being faced by the commission was far from being solved as he said the commission could only boast of 600 pick-up vans for all the 774 local government electoral officers. He explained that the commission had mobilised the state electoral commission to arrange for transportation for the movement of Electoral Officers and materials.
He regretted that governors did not comply with the directive of the commission that they should not bombard the polling units with their retinue of aides and securitymen warning that securitymen had been placed on alert to resist such conduct tomorrow.

On the defaulting contractors, Jega explained that the commission was already exploring judicial means of redress because there were clauses in the contractual terms governing the contract and the breach of the term should necessarily be taken up.

However, he stated that the commission was being very cautious because of the clauses and since the commission was still investigating the matter. Jega said that was the reason the commission would not disclose the identities of the vendors. “We are fine-tuning our judicial options to take appropriate step,” he said.

Jega said the commission was trying all it could to revive hopes and confidence of Nigerians following their disappointment at the sudden shift of the elections last Saturday. On his rumoured threat of resignation, Jega would neither confirm nor deny it, saying “no comment, it is not everything in the media that I have to react to.”

Jega pleaded with Nigerians for understanding saying “when the commission last Saturday, April 2, 2011, rescheduled the National Assembly elections, it stated very clearly that the elections will hold this Saturday, April 9, 2011. We are happy to say that the elections will go ahead this weekend as planned.

We, as a commission, fully appreciate the enormous sacrifices made by millions of Nigerian voters who turned out for the exercise on April 2. I urge you to also do the same this weekend. “Since the postponement, the commission has worked tirelessly to address the challenges observed in the conduct of the rescheduled elections. Thus, result sheets have not only been delivered to the country, but have been received by states and local government areas nationwide.

Similarly, other election materials needed at the State and Local Governments have been supplied. Logistic challenges have been addressed and we have had further consultations with political parties, security services and other stakeholders to address other challenges that emerged last Saturday. Consequently, all is now set for the National Assembly election to hold across the country on Saturday.

“However, some challenges emerging from the fact that voting took place in some areas in spite of the postponement require more time than we have had since last Saturday. For example, in some areas a good quantity of ballot papers had been used and it is not possible to reprint enough replacement ballot papers before the elections. Also, in a few constituencies, party names and logos were missing on ballot papers. While some of these resulted from human errors in compiling the names of qualified candidates and parties for the elections, others are related to sudden changes emanating from several judicial pronouncements on party nominations. These challenges dictate that fresh ballot papers be printed prior to conducting the elections.

“The commission has made strenuous efforts to get these ballot papers printed within the available time; but given the security requirements of the printing of ballot papers and the inability of domestic and international companies to deliver on time, it has become imperative that sufficient time be given for the printing of these ballot papers. Consequently, while elections will in general take place on Saturday, it has become inevitable to postpone elections in a few affected constituencies, that is 15 Senatorial Districts and 48 Federal Constituencies which are as follows: [See Attached]

“I should say that the postponed elections affect only about 14% of all Senatorial Districts and 13% of Federal Constituencies. This means that elections will take place this Saturday in 86% and 87% of Senatorial Districts and Federal Constituencies respectively. “Elections in these affected constituencies will now hold on Tuesday the 26th of April 2011 together with the Governorship and State Assembly elections.

“For purposes of clarity, it is not everywhere that voting took place last week that is affected by this rescheduling. In some areas, only very few ballots were used, which means that elections can go on unhindered in those places this Saturday. “I want to seize this opportunity to advise all voters to be orderly and peaceful during the elections. Those who choose to stay behind after voting must be orderly and non-violent. I appeal to political parties to implore their supporters to eschew violence. We are working closely with the security agencies to arrest political thugs and vigilantes. Also, underage voters will be arrested. I appeal to parents and community leaders not to allow their children to indulge in this illegal act.

“We also noticed last Saturday that some governors did not comply with the appeal to them not to move around with their security orderlies during the elections. Although we recognize that governors are chief executives of their states, I once more appeal to them to vote and return home in order to reduce political tensions during the elections. Security agencies will strictly enforce compliance with this directive.

“Let me once again thank Nigerians for their understanding and support for the commission in its efforts to deliver free, fair and credible elections. I urge you all to come out on Saturday, April 9, to exercise your right to vote,” Jega said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/apr/08/national-08-04-2011-001.htm
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by wales(m): 7:06am On Apr 08, 2011
Federal constituencies

Isiala Ngwa North/South, Abia
Ukanafun/Oron, Akwa Ibom
Anambra East, Anambra
Anambra West, Anambra
Nnewi/Ekwusigo, Anambra
Oyi/Anyamelu, Anambra
Gwer East/West, Benue
Katsina Ala/Ukum, Benue
Abi/Yakurr, Cross River
Aniocha/Oshimili, Delta
Ethiope East/West, Delta
Bomadi/Patani, Delta
Ohaozara/Onichal/Ivo, Ebonyi
Akoko Edo, Edo
Ado Ekiti/Irepodun/Ifelodun,
Ekiti Ido/Osi/Moba/Ilejemeje, Ekiti
Ijero/Ekiti West/Efon, Ekiti
Ikole/Oye, Ekiti
Yamaltu/Deba, Gombe
Kaltungo/Shongom, Gombe
Dukku/Nafada, Gombe
Okigwe/Ihime/Mbano, Owerri
Taura/Ringim, Jigawa
Ikara/Kubau, Kaduna
Kachia/Kagarko, Kaduna
Kauru, Kaduna
Makarfi/Kudan, Kaduna
Zangon Kataf/Soba, Kaduna
Dala, Kano
Gwarzo/Kabo, Kano
Karaye/Rogo, Kano
Ekiti/Oke Ero/Isin/Irepodun, Kwara
Ifako/Ijaiye, Lagos
Shomolu, Lagos
Ikorodu, Lagos
Keffi/Kokona/Karu, Nasarawa
Bida/Gbako/Katcha, Niger
Lavun/Edasi/Mokwa, Niger
Abeokuta North/Obafemi_Owode I, Ogun
Odeda, Ijebu Ode/Odogbolu/Ijebu North_East, Ogun
Egbado South/Ipokia, Ogun
Ijebu North/Ijegu North East/Ogun Water Side, Ogun
Ikenne/Shagamu/Remo North, Ogun
Ibadan NW/SW, Oyo
Jos North/Bassa, Plateau
Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam, Plateau
Port Harcourt II, Rivers
Anka/Talata Marafa, Zamfara
Zurmi/Shinkafi, Zamfara.

Senatorial Districts

Bayelsa Central
Benue North
CR South,
CR Central
Ebonyi North
Ekiti Central
Ekiti North
Ekiti South
Gombe North
Kaduna North
Niger South
Plateau North
Plateau South
Plateau Central
Sokoto North

Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by spaceman83: 7:23am On Apr 08, 2011
is not the fault of Jega, this country called Nigeria is too large to control. . . .

thumb up to Jega and Mr. president.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Olami099(m): 7:47am On Apr 08, 2011
Am losing confidence in dis jega ooo dat means dis wk again am nt going to vote cos dey have postponed my lga electn.who knws come saturday again he might call off d electn.Nigerians are nt organised at all,infact may be dis yr electn will be d worst ever to happen with all d money,man-power,resources,time wasted still nt 100 PERCENT READY
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by JOKYTECH(f): 8:15am On Apr 08, 2011
spaceman83:

is not the fault of Jega, this country called Nigeria is too large to control. . . .

Thank u very much, at least someone has spoken ma mind. I have been saying since the beginning of this preparation that because of the size of this country, no one INEC chairman can conduct a FREE and at thesame time FAIR election in Nigeria

The country is too large for one man to handle, the problem is not only corruption in Nigeria but also population
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Olami099(m): 8:39am On Apr 08, 2011
JOKYTECH:

Thank u very much, at least someone has spoken ma mind. I have been saying since the beginning of this preparation that because of the size of this country, no one INEC chairman can conduct a FREE and at thesame time FAIR election in Nigeria

The country is too large for one man to handle, the problem is not only corruption in Nigeria but also population
I disagree with u,wen he knws he wont be capable enough why cant he as d chairman appoints trusted able person dat he trusted to see to d affairs of each state rather dan making empty mouth promises to Nigerians.He better gets it right dis time or else,
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by shevalync: 8:42am On Apr 08, 2011
JEGA shld be held responsible,voting accreditation was suppose to end 12pm last Saturday,JEGA's broadcast was around 12:30pm,all the RECs must have been informed of the postponement at least an hour before the official announcement.the fact that voting commenced before the official time should be probe and all those responsible be dealt with,JEGA said during the broadcast that voting has not started anywhere only for him to come out yesterday and said large quantity of ballot papers has been used in some centers,this is clear indication that we are about to witness the worst election since inception. sad
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by spaceman83: 9:46am On Apr 08, 2011
WAS THERE NOT STATE REC TO OVERSEA THE INEC CONDUCT IN EVERY STATE?

THE PROBLEM IS STIL OVER POPULATION OF NIGERIA, GET IT OR LEAVE IT.

SO NEVER LAY ANY BLAME ON JEGA, THE OLD MAN IS DOING HIS BEST. PERIOD!
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Kennyblues(m): 10:14am On Apr 08, 2011
Why holding brief for Jega btw, what is the population of Nigeria compare to US, China, India, yet the never postponed their elections.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by spaceman83: 10:24am On Apr 08, 2011
Dont compare us wif those country. they are far much advance than us,
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by happyday: 11:49am On Apr 08, 2011
Let's just keep our fingers crossed,at least for Now!
Prof. Jega,Nigerians Are waiting!
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by ifyalways(f): 11:57am On Apr 08, 2011
wales:

Federal constituencies

Isiala Ngwa North/South, Abia
Ukanafun/Oron, Akwa Ibom
Anambra East, Anambra
Anambra West, Anambra
Nnewi/Ekwusigo, Anambra
Oyi/Anyamelu, Anambra
Gwer East/West, Benue
Katsina Ala/Ukum, Benue
Abi/Yakurr, Cross River
Aniocha/Oshimili, Delta
Ethiope East/West, Delta
Bomadi/Patani, Delta
Ohaozara/Onichal/Ivo, Ebonyi
Akoko Edo, Edo
Ado Ekiti/Irepodun/Ifelodun,
Ekiti Ido/Osi/Moba/Ilejemeje, Ekiti
Ijero/Ekiti West/Efon, Ekiti
Ikole/Oye, Ekiti
Yamaltu/Deba, Gombe
Kaltungo/Shongom, Gombe
Dukku/Nafada, Gombe
Okigwe/Ihime/Mbano, Owerri
Taura/Ringim, Jigawa
Ikara/Kubau, Kaduna
Kachia/Kagarko, Kaduna
Kauru, Kaduna
Makarfi/Kudan, Kaduna
Zangon Kataf/Soba, Kaduna
Dala, Kano
Gwarzo/Kabo, Kano
Karaye/Rogo, Kano
Ekiti/Oke Ero/Isin/Irepodun, Kwara
Ifako/Ijaiye, Lagos
Shomolu, Lagos
Ikorodu, Lagos
Keffi/Kokona/Karu, Nasarawa
Bida/Gbako/Katcha, Niger
Lavun/Edasi/Mokwa, Niger
Abeokuta North/Obafemi_Owode I, Ogun
Odeda, Ijebu Ode/Odogbolu/Ijebu North_East, Ogun
Egbado South/Ipokia, Ogun
Ijebu North/Ijegu North East/Ogun Water Side, Ogun
Ikenne/Shagamu/Remo North, Ogun
Ibadan NW/SW, Oyo
Jos North/Bassa, Plateau
Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam, Plateau
Port Harcourt II, Rivers
Anka/Talata Marafa, Zamfara
Zurmi/Shinkafi, Zamfara.

Senatorial Districts

Bayelsa Central
Benue North
CR South,
CR Central
Ebonyi North
Ekiti Central
Ekiti North
Ekiti South
Gombe North
Kaduna North
Niger South
Plateau North
Plateau South
Plateau Central
Sokoto North

No elections in all those places undecided

Canceled or Postponed?
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by ENZOSCIFO1: 12:06pm On Apr 08, 2011
Pls I will implore us all not to blame Jega over this issue. Did someone say why? Ok i will explain about 3 days ago on Tuesday to be precise I was watching the local news on Channels and a new flash came up, A senatorial candidate in some district I cant recollect now some where in Abia state was just cleared by an high court to be the authentic candidate of his party. That was 3 days after the election was meant to take place, now tell me how will INEC or Jega begin to make preparation to accommodate such a candidate in just 3 days when his name or perhaps his party was not on the ballot that was printed initially.

This case is just one of the many funny issues bedevilling INEC and truly if we want free and fair election I think we should allow Jega and INEC do it any manner that is humanly possible.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by otokx(m): 1:01pm On Apr 08, 2011
Each time I hear statements that will should not blame JEGA; i get so amused. Nigerians are really not ready to move forward and are quite content with the nonsense plus rubbish they have been getting. This is a man JEGA that got all the money he asked for despite the economic meltdown.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Exponental(m): 1:33pm On Apr 08, 2011
spaceman83:

Failure of d commission is d fault of d HEAD.
Did Nigeria just increase in size? Is he not aware of "nigeria factor" before taking up responsibility of INEC.
There are no tasks without its defect, bt managing d defects to maximizing success shld be a priority of any HEAD.
JEGA has failed NIGERIANS
[size=50pt]Wen will Nigerians face d fact and stop romancing faults[/size]

[size=15pt]JEG[/size]a= a[size=15pt]GEJ[/size] (reflection of one gives d oda). I hope there are no similarities btw dem.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by NAJALYN: 2:53pm On Apr 08, 2011
This is the worst elections so far in Nigeria. Even with all the money given to INEC to conduct free & fair elections, INEC is messing up big time. We pray God sees us through.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Brite02(m): 3:41pm On Apr 08, 2011
Fingers crossed!
False hope that's what keeping naija going. Sometimes me wonder, why don't you(JEGA) tell the masses @ d begining 'we not fully prepared' may gawd see us through this free and fry elections coming up.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Azedplus(m): 5:24pm On Apr 08, 2011
am not a pessimist just a realist.dont expect a hitchfree electiom 4rm Jega led inec.Jega lacks managerial skill.Yes,i said that.A man who never analyse the past or present cannot predict/project the future,hence cant succeed.Jega sat from the comfort of his office came up with an expenditure for election,same on registration period same 4 failed election.Also when he was rescheduling he just mentioned monday b4 he was rescued and here he is,cant conduct election on some areas he never considered any factors, just opened his mouth to speak while his brain is asleep. Some still hope in such a dillusioned man,am not surprised though coz an average nigerian is described as suffering as smiling HOPEFUL IN NOTHING.THEY STILL BLIVE IN GEJ DESPITE 12 YRS OF SOMTIN CALD NOTHING.with some trying to justify gej because he told them he had no shoe to sch.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by jude33084(m): 9:18pm On Apr 08, 2011
NAJALYN:

This is the worst elections so far in Nigeria. Even with all the money given to INEC to conduct free & fair elections, INEC is messing up big time. We pray God sees us through.

WRONG! this is going to be the best election ever conducted,, that is why it is proving difficult.
Remember Iwu or Ewu guy undecided ?,, he would have just conducted the election like that and tell you to channel your complains through court which the people's cleptocracy party has destroyed through house of reps grin
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by mrofficial(m): 9:52pm On Apr 08, 2011
O'boy, see list. Where is my pen? grin
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by iudoagwu(m): 7:45am On Apr 09, 2011
New Word in English vocabulary, the word can be used any how.
Jega: /n/ je-ga. The act of stupidly wasting the time of a lot of people whilst keeping them under hot sun.E.g The jega of Nigeria wasted our time last week whilst we waited for the national assembly election.
Jega:/v/ E.g the groom jegaed his bride for a small babcock girl.

This man should not let Nigerians loose confidence in him o!
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSklVzOjeEtZ7Q835Oq8vaRQb_JzmgKqCeebpJJ3vlq3MDfRwDS[/img]
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by Emmy3(m): 7:46am On Apr 09, 2011
'SpeechlesS'
is how INEC make me feel. . .
Until after the election,
we shall know who is the fool and who was fooled.
Re: Where Elections Won’t Hold ! by afrika(f): 8:20am On Apr 09, 2011
people who re thia ranting,
in ur own jurisdiction, have u been able to manage it to look organised?
nigerians are gud in spottin out problems but cant bring out solutions.

look at wole soyinka d oda day on air, instead of him to be straight forward, he
was just thia, talking off point.

Look at Buhari, who can not manage the little CPC in his palms which is going astray now, but is strugglin hard to
manage and rule nigeria.

the likes of Lagos state governor is busy working and d people of lagos are beggn him to remain, we are hia confussin GEJ.

hay, Nija don suffer,, we don suffer too wey dey d country.

Manage ur house and life first, before u start talkin plenty pls.

(1) (Reply)

Solution To Electricity Problem In Nigeria. Take Note. / Uninterrupted Power Supply For Kogi Soon - Phcn / Dino Drags Godswill Orubebe To ICPC Over Corruption Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.