Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us (493 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by Cybercop2002: 8:01am On Feb 16, 2021
I was on a flight to Nova Scotia on which I met Chiasoka, a Nigerian international student, living in St. John’s. She was studying nursing, having graduated in engineering. We began discussing our parents’, albeit, rigorous but potent parenting methodologies. Coming from a Caribbean family, education in my family is celebrated at every stride, regardless how minutia the feat may be. My parents have insisted on being part of every ceremony that celebrated my scholastic performance, may it be a Dean’s list reception, kindergarten mini- graduation service or my undergraduate graduation ceremony. And every chance they had to express my academic attainment to their friends and family, they would do so. Whereas, for Chiasoka, certain academic achievements were nothing, but expected. Therefore, they were not worthy to be praised, let alone, noted. So much so that her mother refused to attend her graduation ceremony. She did not perceive her daughter’s academic accomplishment as an exploit, despite being among the top 10 percent of her graduating class. It was, in her mother’s eyes, the bare minimum that was expected from her. “Until I earn a post-graduate degree, I will have to content myself with a family-less graduation ceremony” she confessed. For many westerners, such attitude toward one’s accomplishment would be perceived as callous and sadistic, at best. Yet, for Chiasoka, it is what fueled her, knowing that more is expected as the sky is far from being the limit. And every time she meets or exceeds an expectation, she would, with zeal and valor, vied the next echelon. Though crude, this “high expectation attitude” that Nigerian parents have toward their children in everything they undertake is very much conventional in Nigerian households, and part of the rationale, explaining the success of the Nigerian-American diaspora. A’s, and nothing but A’s Now that I think of it, the Nigerian friends that I made in university, all of them, excepted for one, was on the Dean’s list. Subsequently, many of them won several awards and accolades for their academic achievements. They all winded up working for reputable firms or being accepted at competitive post- graduate programs. Buzzfeed.com — High Academic achievement is compulsory in an African household, not an alternative. Education is indeed paramount to everything in Nigerian households. So much so that there is ubiquitous aphorism within the Nigerian community which asserts that the best inheritance that a parent can give to their children is not jewelry nor any other material things, but it is a good education. The best inheritance that a parent can give to their children is not jewelry nor any other materials things, but it is a good education. Such regard for higher education helps to explain why Nigerian-Americans are more likely to be educated than the average American. Indeed, Nigerian-Americans have more post-graduate degrees than any other racial or ethnic groups. Albeit, they represent a minutia portion of the U.S. population, 37 percent of them hold a bachelor’s degree and 17 percent a master’s. 29 percent of Nigerian- Americans aged 25 and plus, have a graduate degree, compared to 11 percent of the US population. Nigerian accounts for less than 1 percent of the black population in the United States, yet, they make up nearly 25 percent of all Black students at Harvard Business School. It comes to no surprise that Nigerian-Americans’ achievements in the world of education top any other U.S. immigrant groups, including Asian- Americans. Today, a growing number of Nigerian-Americans are entrepreneurs, CEOs and founders of tech companies across the U.S. and abroad. “You must be a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, or a Disgrace to the family…” Nigerian parents also tend to push their children into profitable but arduous careers such as medicine, engineering and law. Recently, Harvard University elected the first black woman to be president of the Harvard Law Review. This black woman happens to be Nigerian, and her name is Imelme A. Umana. Hence why the median annual income of Nigerian diaspora household, according to the Migration Policy Institute, is about $ 52,000, slightly higher than the average $50,000 in the US. They are also more likely to be counted in the higher income brackets as 35% of Nigerian- American households earn the US $90,000 per year. Imelme A. Umana, Nigerian-American, became the first Black woman to be elected as president of the Harvard Law Review. Image from Face2FaceAfrica.com “Artistic Nigerian-Americans” is a thing! Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Image from the Harvard Crimson. Even those who don’t adhere to such career choices, also exhibit high success in their fields and are expected to do by their elders. For instance, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerian- American novelist, Yale graduate, and author of the New York Time Best Selling, Americanah, was listed in 2015 in Time Magazine as one of “the 100 Most Influential People”. And Tomy Adeyemi, Nigerian-American, Harvard graduate, became at the age of 24, the youngest American to have scored a significant book and movie deal, netting in the seven-figures. Tomy Adeyemi. Image from ABC.com And as we speak, Nigerians-Americans, such as Chiweteley Ejiofor and Uzo Aduba, are also taking Hollywood as part of their new terrain of excellence. Ejiofor played the role of Solomon Northup in 12 Years a Slave which was nominated as Best Actor by the Academy Awards and won the best actor in a leading role by the British Academy Film awards in 2014. Image from RottenTomatoes.com Uzo Aduba, Nigerian-American, who plays the role “Crazy Eyes” from Orange is the New Black. She won several awards including an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series. Image from Biography.com Sports are okay too in a Nigerian household, but… Apart from the world of arts and engineering, the Nigerian diaspora is now linked among the top American athletes. What is interesting is that sport for Nigerian parents is secondary, never the priority as education is. What they look for in sport, is the opportunity to earn scholarships, which leads to free education. If a Nigerian child happens to make it through a professional league draft, good. But above all things, education is the goal. All things can follow suit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by Freestainworld(m): 8:06am On Feb 16, 2021
Nigerians love education, if not for bad governance, we would have even become more world class than we are currently perceived.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by parkervero(m): 8:39am On Feb 16, 2021
I didn't read the epistle...

Where would you place Chinese and Indians?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by Cousin9999: 8:58am On Feb 16, 2021
Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, or a Disgrace

[img]https://media1./images/ba8e7418b2233bbfe6cbba50ee9b8cf7/tenor.gif[/img]
Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by Cybercop2002: 9:27am On Feb 16, 2021
parkervero:

the first and fourth most successful black man and woman are from naija
Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by ImDStar: 9:30am On Feb 16, 2021
Nice thread
Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by Cybercop2002: 9:31am On Feb 16, 2021
parkervero:

there are many successful naija than those folk just that some change there nationality and some dont represent nigeria bahrain and most arab country have nigerian athlete in there country who are a citizen not by birth but by signing them to represent there country
Re: Why Nigeria Immigrant Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group In Us by parkervero(m): 10:11am On Feb 16, 2021
Cybercop2002:
the first and fourth most successful black man and woman are from naija

First and fourth successful black man and woman in which country?

(1) (Reply)

Travel Abroad Now! - See 10 Top Student Travel Providers In 2021 / Wedding Invitations Issue / Travelling Abroad Processes. Requirements?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.