Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas (1062 Views)

UK Bans Overseas Health Workers From Bringing Dependants / How Much Do You Spend Monthly Overseas? / Should I Marry Here Or When I Travel Overseas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kingb1993(m): 6:30pm On Feb 17, 2021
Hi Guys! I'm 27, have a National Diploma in Hospitality Management, 8 years experience, and have worked with two branded hotels in Lagos (Radisson Blu and Hilton at present). I'm currently seeking employment overseas as a waiter preferably in the UAE, the US and UK, Australia. I basically just check up vacancies on Linked in and then send out my CV but I'm yet to get any response from these hotels. I only had one Interview with a top hotel in Australia but I'm yet to get a feedback from them. I really want to leave this country as Hospitality pays better in other climes and is more rewarding. Please how do I go about landing a job in the hotel Industry overseas?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by Focusmind: 6:45pm On Feb 17, 2021
It is extremely difficult I must tell you, especially if you are black and a non resident.

I remembered doing multiple interviews as a waiter while studying in Scotland. I was told privately by the lady that interviewed me that the hotel owner asked her to reject me because of my accent.

Most whites are still not comfortable being served food by blacks. There are lots of black chefs and waiters overseas, but most are citizens and have adapted to the society, with "acceptable" accent.

Keep trying, luck may smile at you. If hired, you may even be deployed to other areas of the hospitality industry that are not customer-facing.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kingb1993(m): 6:55pm On Feb 17, 2021
Thank you very much. I pray luck does shine on me
Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by budaatum: 6:58pm On Feb 17, 2021
Waiter is a low skilled job. Demand is easily filled amongst those on the ground so it would be almost impossible for you to be hired from Nigeria. You already seem to know this or you would be applying to manage the hotel instead of waitering.

First, you travel to the country you want to work in. Then get an even lower positioned job cleaning pots in the kitchen in an hotel to get experience and knowledge you'd use to eventually get the job you want managing the hotel. While you are at it, consider going to school to study for whatever the local equivalent of the National Diploma in Hospitality Management is in the country you emigrate to as they are unlikely to value your current qualification.

An alternative is to ask your employers (previous?) at Radisson Blu and Hilton to let you work in their hotels abroad. That should have been your first option, I would have thought.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by Cousin9999: 6:25am On Feb 18, 2021
If you're very handsome and physically fit, they'll snatch you up in a heartbeat. Even if you're not particularly good looking, if you have a nice body, they'll want to hire you. If you expect to get hired without being in the country, you'll probably have to seek seasonal work, at resorts and hotels, through a contracting company.

They're not hiring you to be a waiter, they're hiring you to be attractive and flirt with middle aged and/or fat white women, who will spend a ton of money at the establishment.

This is definitely a way to get into the position you actually want, but you have to be careful that they don't just see you as a pretty boy.

I'm sure you're more qualified than the dûmb Indians they keep hiring, so you shouldn't have a problem.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kkins25(m): 11:03am On Feb 18, 2021
budaatum:
Waiter is a low skilled job. Demand is easily filled amongst those on the ground so it would be almost impossible for you to be hired from Nigeria. You already seem to know this or you would be applying to manage the hotel instead of waitering.

First, you travel to the country you want to work in. Then get an even lower positioned job cleaning pots in the kitchen in an hotel to get experience and knowledge you'd use to eventually get the job you want managing the hotel. While you are at it, consider going to school to study for whatever the local equivalent of the National Diploma in Hospitality Management is in the country you emigrate to as they are unlikely to value your current qualification.

An alternative is to ask your employers (previous?) at Radisson Blu and Hilton to let you work in their hotels abroad. That should have been your first option, I would have thought.
@Bolded, I probably should have considered that before moving to Ghana. I really was unaware, although I had been given the assurance that things were not complicated(I should have been smart enough to know not to trust my Old man with information concerning such matters or at least did more research).

I was glad to meet vaax/vaxx here, but my efforts to reach him/her have failed. Would be great if I had known someone who passed through the same predicament as I now find myself in. No one to guide and advice me, such a drag!

I wake up every morning not knowing what to do. A terrible mistake that would delay my progress I guess. Well I had plan A and no Plan B. Plan A has failed now thanks to Corona and my dad's ridiculous money management habit.

Vaax, vaxx abeg oh how can I reach you now?? Somebody? Anybody? My cognitive capabilities have been crippled Allah. Lol.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kkins25(m): 11:08am On Feb 18, 2021
Cousin9999:
If you're very handsome and physically fit, they'll snatch you up in a heartbeat. Even if you're not particularly good looking, if you have a nice body, they'll want to hire you. If you expect to get hired without being in the country, you'll probably have to seek seasonal work, at resorts and hotels, through a contracting company.

They're not hiring you to be a waiter, they're hiring you to be attractive and flirt with middle aged and/or fat white women, who will spend a ton of money at the establishment.

This is definitely a way to get into the position you actually want, but you have to be careful that they don't just see you as a pretty boy.

I'm sure you're more qualified than the dûmb Indians they keep hiring, so you shouldn't have a problem.
Do you by any chance reside in Hollywood?
Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by ednut1(m): 11:42am On Feb 18, 2021
kingb1993:
Hi Guys! I'm 27, have a National Diploma in Hospitality Management, 8 years experience, and have worked with two branded hotels in Lagos (Radisson Blu and Hilton at present). I'm currently seeking employment overseas as a waiter preferably in the UAE, the US and UK, Australia. I basically just check up vacancies on Linked in and then send out my CV but I'm yet to get any response from these hotels. I only had one Interview with a top hotel in Australia but I'm yet to get a feedback from them. I really want to leave this country as Hospitality pays better in other climes and is more rewarding. Please how do I go about landing a job in the hotel Industry overseas?
you cannot get waiter job from Nigeria. Its unskilled work, every tom dick and harry in those countries can do the job
Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by vaxx: 1:56pm On Feb 18, 2021
kkins25:
@Bolded, I probably should have considered that before moving to Ghana. I really was unaware, although I had been given the assurance that things were not complicated(I should have been smart enough to know not to trust my Old man with information concerning such matters or at least did more research).

I was glad to meet vaax/vaxx here, but my efforts to reach him/her have failed. Would be great if I had known someone who passed through the same predicament as I now find myself in. No one to guide and advice me, such a drag!

I wake up every morning not knowing what to do. A terrible mistake that would delay my progress I guess. Well I had plan A and no Plan B. Plan A has failed now thanks to Corona and my dad's ridiculous money management habit.

Vaax, vaxx abeg oh how can I reach you now?? Somebody? Anybody? My cognitive capabilities have been crippled Allah. Lol.

ok for obvious reasons, I choose to remain anonymous but honestly i feel for you bro.

just send me a reliable email address. and let me write you immediately ....or perhaps WhatsApp contact .

pls I still prefer to remain anonymous, your case maybe an exception

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kkins25(m): 2:07pm On Feb 18, 2021
vaxx:
ok for obvious reasons, I choose to remain anonymous but honestly i feel for you bro.

just send me a reliable email address. and let me write you immediately ....or perhaps WhatsApp contact .

Thanks for reaching out. Would do so.

Mod.

Just inboxes you..thanks again

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by vaxx: 4:17pm On Feb 18, 2021
kkins25:
Thanks for reaching out. Would do so.

Mod.

Just inboxes you..thanks again
kings, i have lost the password to the email address , just drop me your email instead .

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kkins25(m): 11:08pm On Feb 18, 2021
vaxx:
kings, i have lost the password to the email address , just drop me your email instead .
kkins4nairaland@gmail.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kingb1993(m): 7:20pm On Feb 22, 2021
[My email address is kingbertrand1993@gmail.com. quote author=vaxx post=99191348] ok for obvious reasons, I choose to remain anonymous but honestly i feel for you bro.

pls I still prefer to remain anonymous, your case maybe an exception [/quote]
Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kkins25(m): 12:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
kingb1993:
[My email address is kingbertrand1993@gmail.com. quote author=vaxx post=99191348] ok for obvious reasons, I choose to remain anonymous but honestly i feel for you bro.

Are you me from a another dimension? Yours was not requested for my friend.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by kkins25(m): 10:04pm On Feb 28, 2021
vaxx:

pls, do let me know wen u mssg me. That email get as E be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get A Job As A Waiter Overseas by vaxx: 12:20am On Mar 01, 2021
kkins25:
pls, do let me know wen u mssg me. That email get as E be.
I will hopefully this week

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Nursing Profession in Canada: Is It Worth The Hype? / This Is What Brazilian Local Sponge Looks Like(kankan Ibile) Photos / We Got All These For $100 In Saudi Arabia (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.