Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,592 members, 7,820,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred (624 Views)

Julius Eze Returns ₦2.5 Million Mistakenly Transferred To His Account / I Mistakenly Transferred Money To A Frozen Bank Account / Man Mistakenly Transferred N1 Million To Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by dre11(m): 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2021
The bank says it will the court's ruling against it.

By Ayodeji Adegboyega

Citibank, an American multinational investment bank, has lost about $500 million it mistakenly transferred to a group of companies that loaned money to embattled cosmetics firm Revlon.

Being Revlon’s loan agent, the bank was meant to transfer a $7.8 million interest payment to the cosmetic company’s lenders. But in error, it transferred $893 million to the lenders last year.

Some of the lenders returned about $400 million, while 10 asset managers refused to return the transferred money.

The bank in August 2020 filed a lawsuit seeking the return of its funds from some of the lenders of Revlon who refused to return the money.

But on Tuesday, a U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman ruled in favour of the 10 investment advisory firms that collectively received the money.

Forbes reported that Mr. Furman’s ruling applied the exception of the law that generally allows a mistaken transaction to be sent back to its sender.

He said New York allows recipients to keep funds if they discharge a valid debt and if the recipient is not aware of the mistake upon its receipt of the funds.

In this case, he said, the payment was applied to existing loans, and the lenders did not make any misrepresentations to induce the accidental repayment.

Forbes quoted Mr. Furman as saying the wire transfers were “final and complete transactions” and not subject to revocation, describing the transaction as “one of the biggest blunders in banking history”.

A Citibank spokesperson told Forbes Tuesday that the bank will appeal the judgement.

“We strongly disagree with this decision and intend to appeal, we believe we are entitled to the funds and will continue to pursue a complete recovery of them.” the spokesperson said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/443580-bank-loses-500-million-it-mistakenly-transferred.html

Lalasticlala
Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by Bola146(f): 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2021
grin grin grin grin We are watching
Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by osamz007: 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2021
W

A

H

A

L

A

For WIRE WIRE
Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by YourMajesty(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2021
Dear UBA,

Why can't you be like your mates in America and mistakenly transfer atleast N5mil to my Akant? Your counterpart in America that transferred $500mil mistakenly, are they dead?

Why must you guys be useless in everything? Ordinary happy birthday SMS of N4 you couldn't send to me and you think I am happy?

Kindly be inform that if you fail to mistakenly transfer the N5mil to my Akant on or before 20th February, I will gladly submit my BVN and ditch you for the America bank that mistakenly helped it's customers.

Best regards.

4 Likes

Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by NwaNimo1(m): 6:10pm On Feb 18, 2021
Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by 400billionman: 7:58pm On Feb 18, 2021
Fraud is fraud.
Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:14pm On Feb 18, 2021
This is what should naturally happen.

I have seen Nigerian banks to threaten people whose accounts were mistakenly credited.

If the money is big enough to get a good lawyer, dem no born them.

The bank is actually supposed to appeal.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by missbehave247(m): 8:37pm On Feb 18, 2021
life goes on
Re: Bank Loses $500 Million It Mistakenly Transferred by Islie: 5:33pm On Feb 19, 2021
Cc lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Opay Pos Machine / How Can I Handle This? I Cant Be Myself Anymore ? / Do U Know Any Usd Virtual Card. (alternative To Chippers?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.