Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,431 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website (1472 Views)

Please Rate My Portfolio Website / Rate My Portfolio Website On A Scale Of 1-10 / How To Build A Portfolio Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 1:39pm On Feb 25, 2021
So I created this website last year with Laravel and Vuejs and I hosted it on Heroku but to my surprise, some people actually created account.

If I had taken it seriously, who knows the number of users I would have by now. grin grin

Check it out below. cool

http://lara-blog-example.herokuapp.com/posts

1 Like

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 10:16pm On Feb 26, 2021
I am finally through with this project.

I could have done more but I wish to rest here.

For anyone who followed, thank you! cool

The code is still somewhat messy, maybe I will refactor if I find a good reason to.

Github Link

The Project we have been building

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 10:25pm On Feb 26, 2021
cheesy

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 10:27pm On Feb 26, 2021
wink

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Rictech: 12:43pm On Feb 27, 2021
Karleb:
Move over to github and create an account.

https://github.com/

We will stick to github because it is popular.

https://kbroman.org/github_tutorial/pages/first_time.html

The above link is a simple tutorial on how to link your github account to your system, so you can easily push code from your terminal to your github account. It is important and better and faster than going to github website to add code. It is what professionals do, you should too.

Checkout this 1 hour video on git and github.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOj5yH7evk

...and this article on common git commands

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/10-important-git-commands-that-every-developer-should-know/

Next, head over to vercel and open an acoount. It is preferable you do it with your github account.

I am using vercel because I find it easy. If you have deployed with nelify easily before now, please stick to it.

https://vercel.com/

Nice job Karleb, just registered on NL after been a ghost member of the programming section. You guys(tensa,donpre & many others) have been doing a great job.
I am at a level of confidence with my frontend skills and feel i should test the waters of freelancing. I hurriedly created a github acc yesterday, no repos yet, but now i want to change d username. From my research , it seems there wil be an issue, does this apply to a newly created account which has not been linked to my system? Mind you, no repos yet. I really want to change the username , your advice and that of others would go a long way

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2021
Rictech:

Nice job Karleb, just registered on NL after been a ghost member of the programming section. You guys(tensa,donpre & many others) have been doing a great job.
I am at a level of confidence with my frontend skills and feel i should test the waters of freelancing. I hurriedly created a github acc yesterday, no repos yet, but now i want to change d username. From my research , it seems there wil be an issue, does this apply to a newly created account which has not been linked to my system? Mind you, no repos yet. I really want to change the username , your advice and that of others would go a long way

https://docs.github.com/en/github/setting-up-and-managing-your-github-user-account/changing-your-github-username#:~:text=commit%20email%20address.%22-,Changing%20your%20username,warnings%20about%20changing%20your%20username.

Go through that link.

If you change it on github there should be no reason to change it on the terminal as long as it is the same account.
Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Rictech: 1:32pm On Feb 27, 2021
Karleb:

https://docs.github.com/en/github/setting-up-and-managing-your-github-user-account/changing-your-github-username#:~:text=commit%20email%20address.%22-,Changing%20your%20username,warnings%20about%20changing%20your%20username.

Go through that link.

If you change it on github there should be no reason to change it on the terminal as long as it is the same account.

If by terminal u mean system/code editor terminal, i haven't linked it atall, just created with my phone .

I have gone through that link as well as mskelton and nikhita's article on changing github username b4 coming to NL but didn't find my case scenario (changing the username of a newly created github acc with no repos and yet to be linked to a system). Reason i am here .
Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 1:47pm On Feb 27, 2021
@Rictech

This is strange.

Are you on mobile?

If no, click on your account icon on github and take a picture. Post it here let me see.
Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Rictech: 2:28pm On Feb 27, 2021
Karleb:
@Rictech

This is strange.

Are you on mobile?

If no, click on your account icon on github and take a picture. Post it here let me see.
Thanks for ur time karleb! I really appreciate. Maybe u didn't understand my question or i didn't ask it well.
This is it, i wanted to change the username but i saw these
redflags:
After changing your username, your old username becomes available to anyone else to claim.
GitHub cannot set up redirects for:
1. @mentions using your old username
2. Links to gists that include your old username
3. We will not set up redirects for your old profile page
4. We will not set up redirects for Pages sites

These are my concern and for the fact mine is a newly created account yet to be linked to a system and with nothing inside except my username & email, i am just asking to know if these red flags will affect my account if i go ahead to change the username
Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 2:33pm On Feb 27, 2021
@Rictech

Those are your fears? undecided

Since it's a new account, it affects nothing.

Go ahead and change it.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Rictech: 2:40pm On Feb 27, 2021
Karleb:
@Rictech
Those are your fears? undecided

Since it's a new account, it affects nothing.
Go ahead and change it.
Lol, na my fears o. Thanks Karleb for your time, i really appreciate
Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Nickisindigo(m): 9:32pm On Mar 10, 2021
Is it compulsory learning Ajax and jquery as a front end web developer @karleb karleb
Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Karleb(m): 9:37pm On Mar 10, 2021
Nickisindigo:
Is it compulsory learning Ajax and jquery as a front end web developer @karleb karleb

Please don't learn jquery in 2021.

Learn React, Vue or Angular instead.

Ajax is for fetching data, I'd say it's necessary but not compulsory. These days, front-end developers are now building weather applications and the likes. You'd need the knowledge of AJAX for such, which is not even hard.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build Someone A Portfolio Website by Nickisindigo(m): 9:46pm On Mar 10, 2021
Karleb:

Please don't learn jquery in 2021.

Learn React, Vue or Angular instead.

Ajax is for fetching data, I'd say it's necessary but not compulsory. These days, front-end developers are now building weather applications and the likes. You'd need the knowledge of AJAX for such, which is not even hard.

Thanks bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please I Need Datascience Tutor / My Journey In The Tech World Is The Most Disastrous And Roughest Part... / How To Create And Programme Sms And Send To People Who Subscribed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.