Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,839 members, 7,838,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria (446 Views)

Have The Owo Church Massacre Victims Gotten Justice ? / 2 Yahoo Boys Submits Items Gotten From Fraud, Arrested By The EFCC / Fraudsters Blew N27b Gotten From Ponzi On Diamonds,Ferraris,McLarens,Bugattis... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by MegaMicrobe: 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Following my very frustrating efforts to get bail for my sister and her son held by the Police due to an alleged petition lodged at the CP Monitoring Unit at Umuahia, Abia State, I needed to post the following lengthy write-up.

What a country indeed!

As at today, Sunday 28th February 2021, my sister and her son are still in Police custody!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WHAT A COUNTRY!

On Thursday 26th February 2021 by about 2:00pm, I got a call from an unknown number and the voice at the other end turned out to be that of my nephew, Mr. Sunday Nwosu. He was calling me with his wife’s phone.

Sunday told me that he was arrested at an Ikoyi GT Bank location and was being held at the Ikoyi Divisional Police station at No. 39 Awolowo Road, Ikoyi - apparently with regards to a petition lodged at the CP Monitoring Unit at Umuahia, Abia State. On further investigation, it turned out that my sister (Sunday’s mother) was also simultaneously picked up by the Police at a GT Bank location in Ikeja and was being held at the Alausa Police station - based on the same petition.

Our family lawyers eventually traced the source of the petition to the CP Monitoring Unit at the Umuahia Police station. After several efforts, we contacted the Investigating Police Office (IPO) in Umuahia who refused bluntly to provide any details of the petition or the petitioner. Using a lawyer dispatched from Por Harcourt to Umuahia, we learnt (unofficially) that the petition was written against my nephew, Mr. Sunday Nwosu. The petitioner’s claim was that he had an agreement to buy US Dollars from Sunday and based on the agreement, he was instructed by Sunday to pay the Naira equivalent to seven different Nigerian bank accounts (including the GT bank account belonging to Sunday’s mum - (Mrs. Dorathy Nwosu). The petitioner further claimed that after making all the Naira transfers into the seven local banks (ninety-six million Naira in total), Sunday refused to pay him the agreed US Dollar equivalent.

Interestingly, Sunday has NEVER (ever) carried out any Dollar transactions (buying or selling) with anybody and does not know anybody in Umuahia or Abia State. He has also not been in communication with anyone from Umuahia in the recent past months.

Also, there are no records of any funds transfer(s) into Mrs. Nwosu’s personal GT bank account or for that matter, into the bank accounts belonging to her secondary or primary schools located in Ogun State. Mrs. Dorathy Nwosu and her husband, Mr. Peter Nwosu are joint proprietors and owners of a fairly successful secondary school and primary school located in Ogun State. The two schools were set up several years ago and have grown through the couple’s diligence and hard work into one of the good schools in Ogun State.

My sister retired some years ago as a Vice Principal in Lagos State Ministry of Education. She was accorded the prestigious “pens down” ceremony by Lagos State complete with one of the Lagos State Governor’s special awards for her contribution to the State’s Ministry of Education.

After frantic efforts to get some sort of bail for my sister and her son, it became clear that the setup had all the characteristics of an extortion racket!

Apparently to inflict the maximum possible discomfort to the detainees, the two arrests were made by midday on Thursday 25th February which will lead to the possible incarceration of the two people up to at least Monday, 1st March 2021 without infringing on the law of “no detention should last more than forty-eight hours in Police custody”. I hear that the Police does not recognise hours during the weekends as part of the 48 hours count! The discomfort resulting from the long hours of incarceration and detention in our horrible Police cells will (or so they figure) accelerate negotiations along the Nigerian ways of “settling” these types of cases.

My biggest concern is my sister’s health condition. She is over 64 years old and has mild diabetes. For her to incarcerated for some days for an offence she knows little or nothing about is, to say the least, brutal.

How on earth is it possible for a US Dollar sales transaction of up to ninety-six million Naira to be conducted by telephone between an unknown individual based in Umuahia and two innocent individuals based in Lagos? Even more baffling is the question of the anonymity of the petitioner and the refusal of the Umuahia based Police authorities to release the contents of the petition!

As at today, 27th February 2021 by 18:30 hr, two unfortunate Nigerians are still in Police custody for well over fifty-four (54) hours) based on a secret petition written by a faceless petitioner, who is only known to the Nigerian Police!

The latest I have heard is that my sister and her son can only be bailed on Monday 1st March 2021, except there is an explicit intervention by The Abia State Commissioner of Police! So …

We once had a country!

This what we're into now, but anyway, we're tackling them, though they still have my aunt and cousin in their custody.
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by doggedfighter(f): 5:56pm On Mar 02, 2021
Sighs
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by Gtuns(m): 5:59pm On Mar 02, 2021
Nawah lipsrsealed
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by SanctifiedSista(f): 6:01pm On Mar 02, 2021
Quite a long epistle
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by InfernoNig: 6:05pm On Mar 02, 2021
Mistaken identity I guess. But please scrutinize you nephew very well to ascertain the truth. Cos if it real and he manage to scale through this, they may come after his life and that of his folks.
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by MegaMicrobe: 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2021
InfernoNig:
Mistaken identity I guess. But please scrutinize you nephew very well to ascertain the truth. Cos if it real and he manage to scale through this, they may come after his life and that of his folks.

There was nothing of such transaction as evident from the bank statement of the supposed receipent
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by InfernoNig: 6:15pm On Mar 02, 2021
MegaMicrobe:

There was nothing of such transaction as evident from the bank statement of the supposed receipent

Mistaken Identity them. Who are the people that filed the petition. Are they Yahoo boys, polithiefcians or businessmen?
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by falcon01: 6:25pm On Mar 02, 2021
Nigeria is a goner
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by MegaMicrobe: 7:08pm On Mar 02, 2021
InfernoNig:

Mistaken Identity them. Who are the people that filed the petition. Are they Yahoo boys, polithiefcians or businessmen?

The IPO failed to reveal. it's only known to them ATM

And that's what we are trying to figure out
Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by InfernoNig: 7:16pm On Mar 02, 2021
MegaMicrobe:

The IPO failed to reveal. it's only known to them ATM

And that's what we are trying to figure out

If so counter their petition and sue them for defamation of character and abuse to human right.

1 Like

Re: See Where We Have Gotten To In Nigeria by ifeoluwapo25977: 10:53pm On Mar 02, 2021
Quite a long epistle

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING News;lagos Launches Manhunt For Man Accused By A Lady Of Performing Sex / As Southern Youths Ask Killer-herders To Vacate Region Immediately / VIDEO: A Man Beats His Mother Publicly, Check Out What Youths Did To Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.