Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. (2816 Views)

Senate Committee On Ethics Aborts Amaechi’s Screening - The Nation / OPINION: The Code Of Ethics For Nigerian Journalists And How "AIT" Breached It. / Combat Photojournalists And Ethics - Is The Truth Worth Dying For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by orgasm(m): 4:01pm On Apr 11, 2011
Royal Wedding guests have been sent a 22-page list of do's and don'ts – including how to hold their teacups.

The etiquette guide has commonsense tips such as not clashing with bride Kate Middleton’s outfit by wearing white or cream and keeping phones silent.

But there is also advice for the 1,900 guests on how to greet the Queen.

Meanwhile, separate instructions to caterers have given strict orders that staff must not look at Her Majesty or other royals while serving.

A Palace source said yesterday: "Etiquette is very important but for some it will be a minefield. That's why this guide will help.

"Guests are asked to arrive at least 20 minutes before the ceremony begins.

"As the Queen enters Westminster Abbey, everybody has to acknowledge her arrival with a curtsey or bow as she walks through. The same must happen as she leaves."

Royal etiquette expert Jean Broke-Smith added: "When you meet the Queen, she puts her hand out first and you address her as Your Majesty. In conversation you address her as Ma'am, to rhyme with jam or ham, not palm."

A key part of the guide deals with dress code. The Palace source explained: "Wearing the right hat and not overdoing it is important. Wearing cream or white is not appropriate. That must be left to the bride.

"Men in the Armed Forces should wear uniform and male civilians a lounge or morning suit. A top hat should be carried, not worn, inside the church."

The 1,900 wellwishers who will see Prince William wed Kate on 29 April include 1,000 friends and relatives.

Joining them will be politicians, foreign royals, stars such as Sir Elton John and the Beckhams and villagers from Bucklebury, Berks, where Kate's parents Michael and Carole live.

For some guests the afternoon reception and evening private dinner will mean having to learn a bewildering set of upper-crust dining rules.

Ms Broke-Smith revealed: "There will be champagne flowing and you've got to hold the glass properly, by the stem.

"During the formal dinner a lot of people won't know how to use a knife and fork properly, let alone which cutlery to choose from.

"You must eat from the outside in and if you have a mass of glasses in front of you, it helps to know which to use.

"With tea cups, lift the cup not the saucer and hold it very gently with your index finger and thumb, returning the cup to the saucer after every sip."

Private catering staff waiting on the guests also have a strict protocol to follow.

The royal source said: "They have been told not to look at Kate, the Queen or any of the royals while serving. They must keep their heads down and be as discreet as possible."

Yesterday a Palace spokesman confirmed: "Guests have been given instructions for the day.

Is this not primitive and barbaric not looking the Queen and bride?
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by snowdrops(m): 4:06pm On Apr 11, 2011
Who gives a royal phuck!!!
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by Thirst4Lif: 4:43pm On Apr 11, 2011
Oddly I have no interest in Williams' and Kate's wedding whatsoever. I'm sure I won't even watch.

The world was far more intrigued by his Mom and Dad's wedding day and marriage.
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by Ibime(m): 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2011
22 page document on what to do when you meet someone. Na so madness dey start.
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by 13volts(m): 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2011
Just a though - obj should represent Nigeria while gej wife to give appreciation note.
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 11, 2011
orgasm:

Royal Wedding guests have been sent a 22-page list of do's and don'ts – including how to hold their teacups.

The etiquette guide has commonsense tips such as not clashing with bride Kate Middleton’s outfit by wearing white or cream and keeping phones silent.

But there is also advice for the 1,900 guests on how to greet the Queen.

Meanwhile, separate instructions to caterers have given strict orders that staff must not look at Her Majesty or other royals while serving.

A Palace source said yesterday: "Etiquette is very important but for some it will be a minefield. That's why this guide will help.

"Guests are asked to arrive at least 20 minutes before the ceremony begins.

"As the Queen enters Westminster Abbey, everybody has to acknowledge her arrival with a curtsey or bow as she walks through. The same must happen as she leaves."

Royal etiquette expert Jean Broke-Smith added: "When you meet the Queen, she puts her hand out first and you address her as Your Majesty. In conversation you address her as Ma'am, to rhyme with jam or ham, not palm."

A key part of the guide deals with dress code. The Palace source explained: "Wearing the right hat and not overdoing it is important. Wearing cream or white is not appropriate. That must be left to the bride.

"Men in the Armed Forces should wear uniform and male civilians a lounge or morning suit. A top hat should be carried, not worn, inside the church."

The 1,900 wellwishers who will see Prince William wed Kate on 29 April include 1,000 friends and relatives.

Joining them will be politicians, foreign royals, stars such as Sir Elton John and the Beckhams and villagers from Bucklebury, Berks, where Kate's parents Michael and Carole live.

For some guests the afternoon reception and evening private dinner will mean having to learn a bewildering set of upper-crust dining rules.

Ms Broke-Smith revealed: "There will be champagne flowing and you've got to hold the glass properly, by the stem.

"During the formal dinner a lot of people won't know how to use a knife and fork properly, let alone which cutlery to choose from.

"You must eat from the outside in and if you have a mass of glasses in front of you, it helps to know which to use.

"With tea cups, lift the cup not the saucer and hold it very gently with your index finger and thumb, returning the cup to the saucer after every sip."

Private catering staff waiting on the guests also have a strict protocol to follow.

The royal source said: "They have been told not to look at Kate, the Queen or any of the royals while serving. They must keep their heads down and be as discreet as possible."

Yesterday a Palace spokesman confirmed: "Guests have been given instructions for the day.

Is this not primitive and barbaric not looking the Queen and bride?
Royal absolutism on display ! She na God wey them no dey see her face ?
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by orgasm(m): 9:12pm On Apr 11, 2011
The so called royal family is still living in the past.The world is more civilised and refined than they know. This is the era of absolute freedom so those guest and caterers have the right to look at who they choose to look at. Is dehumanizing. This is no stone age and colonialism is dead for good. The whole world is clamouring for democracy and equality and
they are here talking about not looking at them. Are they not made of flesh and blood? And their prime minister is out there fighting against ghadafi and other despots. Hypocrites! The last days of the monarchy is near.
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by homerac7: 9:38pm On Apr 11, 2011
Madam Dame Missis Patience Jonathan go dey there? undecided undecided grin
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by kandiikane(m): 9:42pm On Apr 11, 2011
who cares, People should go on strike on that day stay home switch off t.v, That will teach them a lesson, What do they even do? Nothing just sit on their asses everyday eat taxpayers money and let the PM and MPs do all the work,
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by redsun(m): 9:46pm On Apr 11, 2011
The english are steep deep in traditions and they want the rest of the world to copy them and see their own traditions as primitive,just like the africans,
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by redsun(m): 9:50pm On Apr 11, 2011
In nigeria now,almost all the traditional festivals and gatherings have been replaced by christian ceremonies and gatherings because the church of england and vatican think they are primitive,barbaric and one way ticket to hell.
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by violent(m): 9:57pm On Apr 11, 2011
This is not even true, i googled it and found nothing like it anywhere, i wonder where the Poster got a copy of the report from.

Peope should stop feeding us with balderdash on NL abeg
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 11, 2011
Very nice. Just that a bumbling bumble bee like me would most likely cause a stir at such an event by fumbling clumsily with my tea cup and spilling the contents across the aisle as the royal couple passes by - might even ruin the royal bride's immaculate gown and earn myself a death sentence. Oh, royalty.
. .am I not grateful to be left out of the guest list.

Well it's a welcome distraction though - I mean the royal wedding. I think the British are still very traditional people despite their long established democratic heritage - which is the only reason why the (constitutional) monarchy still exists.

And by the way I don't see anything barbaric about a royal tradition that forbids the caterers from staring at the Queen. I think it is a good precautionary measure. Staring maliciously at the Queen might make her feel uneasy. . .and cause her to miss her steps. . .and I'm sure no one wants to see Her Majesty trip and fall yakata in the full glare of the public. . .royal falls are to be avoided at all cost, hence the no staring rule. cheesy
Re: The Royal Wedding And Its Rules And Ethics For The 1900 Guests. by kandiikane(m): 10:15pm On Apr 11, 2011
pro01:

Very nice. Just that a bumbling bumble bee like me would most likely cause a stir at such an event by fumbling clumsily with my tea cup and spilling the contents across the aisle as the royal couple passes by - might even ruin the royal bride's immaculate gown and earn myself a death sentence. Oh, royalty.
. .am I not grateful to be left out of the guest list.

Well it's a welcome distraction though - I mean the royal wedding. I think the British are still very traditional people despite their long established democratic heritage - which is the only reason why the (constitutional) monarchy still exists.

And by the way I don't see anything barbaric about a royal tradition that forbids the caterers from staring at the Queen. I think it is a good precautionary measure. Staring maliciously at the Queen might make her feel uneasy. . .and cause her to miss her steps. . .and I'm sure no one wants to see Her Majesty trip and fall yakata in the full glare of the public. . .royal falls are to be avoided at all cost, hence the no staring rule. cheesy
loool cheesy

(1) (Reply)

If You're Protesting And You Wish To Forward Your Video To Cnn / Pictures Of Proposed Railway Stations Nationwide / Is Fashola Angry With Aregbesola? (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.