Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,206 members, 7,829,318 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

The Nigerian Start-up Space:- An In-depth Analysis - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Nigerian Start-up Space:- An In-depth Analysis (148 Views)

Co-working Space An Amusing Concept / Facebook Seeks To Help Nigerian Start-Ups Become Big Businesses / First African Sneaker Design Company Launches On Indiegogo(a Nigerian Start-up) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Start-up Space:- An In-depth Analysis by Childofthelord(f): 6:33pm On Mar 03, 2021
Hi everyone,

During the quarantine period, i developed a keen interest for Start-ups, unicorns, angel investors, VC and all the entrepreneurship buzz word that ever existed. I once stumbled on Shark Tank (An American TV show where entrepreneurs pitch their ideas to investors like Mark Cuban, for a business deal). This was where I learnt what an equity was, a convertible note, company valuation, business scalability, sales projection, breaking even, profitability and many other things.
My idea of starting/building a company completely changed when I watched these shows and learnt how, many business have raised money and failed, others have bootstrapped and succeed, some have sold their company, some run into debt, others have misplaced priority while a chunk of them are creating products nobody needs. The Nigerian start-up ecosystem really does interests me, think of the likes of GOkada, was doing so well and then came the government ban. The Nigerian government seems to be an enemy of progress and make it harder for foreign investors. Against all odds, some start-ups have marveled our wildest expectations...

PAYSTACK: I pretty sure many people are familiar with the names Shola Akinlade and Ezra Olubi, these tech geeks built an Online payment platform for SMEs, scaled and sold to STRIPE for $200m. Truly every Nigerian was proud of this great achievement, I myself felt enthusiastic about the possible potentials for Nigerian start-ups not to mention what happened with Jumia's IPO at the NYSE. Alas, I felt a rush of hope for the Nigerian dream. About Paystack, I tried to analyze how they grew and what made them so valuable to the international market.
Many reviews i read emphasized on right timing, market need and ease of use, others felt they got the right support and funding from YC. But I met a few people who insisted that the company should not have been sold. Dare, a friend of mine pointed out that Paystack could have built a foundation for the silicon valley of Nigeria, he was not too happy with the fact that we "sold" what should have been "ours" to hold as Africans. Btw Silicon valley is like the Tech headquarters of the United states, it camps many successful giants like Twitter, Facebook, Google etc. Contrary to my friend, I hold the opinion that Paystack has already laid the foundation. There are many other start-ups doing amazingly well like Piggyvest, cowrywise, fluterwave Farmcrowdy etc. But is Nigeria willing to support these guys and many other young founders in the long run? Will there be more acquisitions or they should "stay African"?
Let me know your thoughts and let's talk about how Paystack was funded in its early stage.
(I feel the need to stop here for discussions- before I continue)

Next discussion: Grants, funding and investment brouhaha for Start-ups and SMEs in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Palisade Fencing / Top Business Lawyers In California / Adsorption Compressed Air Dryers – Modular System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.