Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? (3603 Views)

JSS1 Student Caught While Trying To Use 'Juju' On A Female Student In Lagos / Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 1:37pm On Mar 06, 2021
Number 50
x/x=1. Find x.
As mathematics teachers we should not be defending textbook, they are not writing by God.
We should reason mathematically. A student sent this to me.
His teacher told him the answer is 1 but he his confused.
The textbook answer is 1 anyway.
But to my knowledge of math 1 is not the solution.
The solution is all values ≠0.
DrDre1
Najdorf
OSADNA009
ymstar
Tobisco247
Idowster
Harbidexy5
Epositive
zizzley
GreatGod2020
nnamdi640
Deffjam
Kareayo
95seun
bolu96
GeepyEnsemble
Leesenpai
Frankicent
punter9
Investpro14
just4fun
LamaNewton
Profmaojo
ZOLTAN007
Siimjnr03
Elvisanderson
Isokoboy
yungsmart
annie17
ScionOfLight
Darivie05
jibrinidris836
smexy
shegzy2009
Titidi
Martinez39

Stanisbaratheon
Oyatz
Rezos17
Martinez39s
Kylekent59
Fedral9
Brusoj
Rexmy

What do you think is the solution?

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by sexy74(m): 1:45pm On Mar 06, 2021
Hmm na wa ooh, am not a mathematician but from the little I know about maths x/x=1.
From the question when you cross multiply you will have x=x since you can't write 1x,
So the value of x can be anything and if you divide it by itself it will give you one .
My simple subimmision of a non mathatician .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 2:13pm On Mar 06, 2021
sexy74:
Hmm na wa ooh, am not a mathematician but from the little I know about maths x/x=1.
From the question when you cross multiply you will have x=x since you can't write 1x,
So the value of x can be anything and if you divide it by itself it will give you one .
My simple subimmision of a non mathatician .
Thanks for being able to reason, you are correct

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Nwodosis(m): 2:34pm On Mar 06, 2021
X is equal to any positive or negative number. X can never be zero.
X>0 or 0<x is the answer. 1 can't only be the correct answer. X = + or - any number except 0.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Karleb(m): 7:25pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:
Number 50
x/x=1. Find x.
As mathematics teachers we should not be defending textbook, they are not writing by God.

Man, you need to take it easy.

That should be primary school mathematics. If so, the correct answer is 1.

In primary school, we were told 5 - 10 and 7 / 14 are impossible but later on we were taught they are very possible.

Your own answer is beyond the scope of the pupil's class which makes it technically wrong.

So yeah, the teacher is damn right!

8 Likes

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Adewale1603(m): 8:00pm On Mar 06, 2021
leave it at their j.s.s levels the answer is 1. its not a poly or university.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 8:14pm On Mar 06, 2021
Karleb:

In primary school, we were told 5 - 10 and 7 / 14 are impossible but later on we were taught they are very possible.

Your own answer is beyond the scope of the pupil's class which makes it technically wrong.

It is not right.
The said student told the teacher the answer is 2 she said it is wrong.
So what then make the teachers answer which is 1 to be correct.

Are you sure you understand basic math?

3 Likes

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 8:16pm On Mar 06, 2021
Adewale1603:
leave it at their j.s.s levels the answer is 1. its not a poly or university.
Even at kg level that answer is wrong

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Karleb(m): 8:21pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:

It is not right.
The said student told the teacher the answer is 2 she said it is wrong.
So what then make the teachers answer which is 1 to be correct.

Are you sure you understand basic math?

Are you ok?

You just brought another part into the OP only to use that to ask me a silly question.

At elementary level these things are trivial.

The kid is not writing thesis. I gave a similar scenario in my earlier post.

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by SUPERPACK: 8:35pm On Mar 06, 2021
House of confusiongrin.
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 8:40pm On Mar 06, 2021
Karleb:

Are you ok?

You just brought another part into the OP only to use that to ask me a silly question.

At elementary level these things are trivial.

The kid is not writing thesis. I gave a similar scenario in my earlier post.
I am very ok

I am very OK.
I still can't see why it is trivial, such blunder!
Besides no anyone that told you 5-7 and 7/14 in primary school is impossible be reexamined he is not fit to be a primary school teacher.
That should not be present in a primary 1work because it is not in their curriculum. but if found by coincidence the teacher should not tell the student it is impossible. He should simply tell the student it is not in your level rather that giving him wrong solution.

Or give correct solution by using stone to do the subtraction showing borrowing 2.

Not giving the wrong solution.

It is very difficult to unlearn erroneous math.
Besides this is a JSS1 student

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:
Number 50
x/x=1. Find x.

the answer should be 1
Because if you cross multuply
and divide x by x your answer
will be 1 cos there is a 1 beside
every single alphabet in maths⚫

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Karleb(m): 8:47pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:

I am very ok

I am very OK.
I still can't see why it is trivial, such blunder!
Besides no anyone that told you 5-7 and 7/14 in primary school is impossible be reexamined he is not fit to be a primary school teacher.

Exactly why I said you should calm down.

You are hell bent on proving the teacher and the text book wrong without even looking at the context of things.

So you would tell a primary 1 kid that 5 - 7 equals - 2? Or 7 / 14 = 0.5 or 1/2? Huh!

C'mon! How do you expect them to grasp that?
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 8:49pm On Mar 06, 2021
Valkan:

the answer should be 1
Because if you cross multuply
and divide x by x your answer
will be 1 cos there is a 1 beside
every single alphabet in maths⚫
JUSUS!

then divide both side by x
x=x
1=1
So who does the 1 belong to?
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Karleb(m): 9:01pm On Mar 06, 2021
After reviewing the question, the answer could be anything.

Which makes 1 the correct answer and 2 also the correct answer and so on.

If the teacher had said 2 was wrong then she doesn't know what she's doing.

If she said 1 was right and stopped there, she is right but hoarding further information that could help to build the kids mathematically.

Peace!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 9:02pm On Mar 06, 2021
Karleb:

If she said 1 was right and stopped there, she is right but hoarding further information that could help to build the kids mathematically.

Peace!
Thanks
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 9:03pm On Mar 06, 2021
Karleb:

Peace!
Anything apart from zero
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Karleb(m): 9:09pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:
Anything apart from zero
Of course.

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:
JUSUS!
then divide both side by x x=x 1=1 So who does the 1 belong to?
good point though but the answer is 1
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 9:26pm On Mar 06, 2021
Valkan:
good point though but the answer is 1
Hmmmmmm,
Why is the answer 1?
Because the textbook said so?
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by greenskittles: 9:44pm On Mar 06, 2021
Its a ridiculous question in the first place. If the topic being taught is simple division then why would they give a question with an answer of x != 0. There's even no way to justify the teacher saying the student is wrong. It would take nothing for the teacher to just say "okay students, this question wasn't a good question for you guys, so its a bonus" if they know that the students cannot yet comprehend the actual answer. So the teacher who said that nonsense just raised red flags about the school and if I were a parent I would start paying more attention to the child's other school work to make sure they're actually being taught well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XpFYAlEMk

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 9:56pm On Mar 06, 2021
greenskittles:
Its a ridiculous question in the first place. If the topic being taught is simple division then why would they give a question with an answer of x != 0. There's even no way to justify the teacher saying the student is wrong. It would take nothing for the teacher to just say "okay students, this question wasn't a good question for you guys, so its a bonus" if they know that the students cannot yet comprehend the actual answer. So the teacher who said that nonsense just raised red flags about the school and if I were a parent I would start paying more attention to the child's other school work to make sure they're actually being taught well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XpFYAlEMk
I just don't want to mention the school. It is one of the top 10 schools in Edo state.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Draslo(m): 10:29pm On Mar 06, 2021
Karleb:

He's not, Oga. Any number from 1 to infinity can be x. x cannot be 0. Period.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by BrutusOj(m): 11:28pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:

JUSUS!

then divide both side by x
x=x
1=1
So who does the 1 belong to?
The question is totally wrong and for those saying it's okay for the level of Junior secondary, it's wrong to build a wrong foundation especially in mathematics and sciences. At advance level, one can say the answer to the question is, p:p !=0

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mrshape:

Hmmmmmm,
Why is the answer 1?
Because the textbook said so?
No but actually because of this
3×3=3³ and 3÷3=1

2×2=2² and 2÷2=1

1×1=1² and 1÷1=1

X×X=X² and X÷X=1
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 1:06am On Mar 07, 2021
Valkan:

No but actually because of this
3×3=3³ and 3÷3=1

2×2=2² and 2÷2=1

1×1=1² and 1÷1=1

X×X=X² and X÷X=1
That did not prove anything
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by etrange: 1:06am On Mar 07, 2021
Sir, did you study Mathematics Education or Industrial Mathematics/any other maths related course? If it's the later, then it makes sense why you find this strange. Understanding Mathematics cause one is an engineer is different from knowing the rudiments of teaching in general.

Scoping in education is not as easy as most people think. Yes, it's easy to say, "in primary one, I'll teach plus. In primary two, I'll teach minus. In primary three, I'll teach multiplication". The problem arises when plus has some subsections that that your primary one students won't understand. Your first line of thought would be to leave out those subsections, but it's not always that straightforward. Sometimes, you need to make temporary rules as walls that help you not to deviate from your scope till your students are ready. x/x = 1 is one of those temporary confinements.

There are some rules we give to kids to make things easier for them till they're ready to fully grasp the more complex ones. In English language, we tell them it's wrong to start a sentence with the word "and" or "but" not because it's always wrong but we because we need to shield the them from the complexity of knowing when it's allowed and when it's not. We tell kids that the absolute value of a number is that number with a positive sign. So the absolute value of -10 is 10. But is a number's distance from zero on the number line always equal to that number with a positive sign? Again, this is just to introduce them to the concept. There are many others, even in secondary schools. Students always outgrow them at certain levels. But they help to keep things in order.

The question here is, why did your student pick 2 as the answer? Did he/she pick two cause he knows any number not equal to zero would be correct or cause he simply forgot what the teacher said in class? If he forgot and the teacher doesn't fail him, he'll probably think the answer is always 2 and therefore wouldn't be on the same page as his fellow students when it's time to transition into a higher level.

#MyOpinion
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 1:26am On Mar 07, 2021
etrange:
Sir, did you study Mathematics Education or Industrial Mathematics/any other maths related course? If it's the later, then it makes sense why you find this strange. Understanding Mathematics cause one is an engineer is different from knowing the rudiments of teaching in general.

Scoping in education is not as easy as most people think. Yes, it's easy to say, "in primary one, I'll teach plus. In primary two, I'll teach minus. In primary three, I'll teach multiplication". The problem arises when plus has some subsections that that your primary one students won't understand. Your first line of thought would be to leave out those subsections, but it's not always that straightforward. Sometimes, you need to make temporary rules as walls that help you not to deviate from your scope till your students are ready. x/x = 1 is one of those temporary confinements.

There are some rules we give to kids to make things easier for them till they're ready to fully grasp the more complex ones. In English language, we tell them it's wrong to start a sentence with the word "and" or "but" not because it's always wrong but we because we need to shield the them from the complexity of knowing when it's allowed and when it's not. We tell kids that the absolute value of a number is that number with a positive sign. So the absolute value of -10 is 10. But is a number's distance from zero on the number line always equal to that number with a positive sign? Again, this is just to introduce them to the concept. There are many others, even in secondary schools. Students always outgrow them at certain levels. But they help to keep things in order.

The question here is, why did your student pick 2 as the answer? Did he/she pick two cause he knows any number not equal to zero would be correct or cause he simply forgot what the teacher said in class? If he forgot and the teacher doesn't fail him, he'll probably think the answer is always 2 and therefore wouldn't be on the same page as his fellow students when it's time to transition into a higher level.

#MyOpinion
I have done causes in Education.
I can say confidently I am a qualified and certified teacher.
To the issue raised why my student said the answer is 2 is because 2/2 is equals to 1.
That is a rule they where taught in open sentence one how to check the accuracy of the solution they get to an equation.

Mathematics is very delicate teachers should not teach wrong things. That equation is easy to explain to the children that x can be any number but not zero.
I can't see a logical reason why she should chose 1 as the answer.
Can you u?
If you can, may I learn from you?
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by snowball11(m): 1:41am On Mar 07, 2021
Mrshape:

To the issue raised why my student said the answer is 2 is because 2/2 is equals to 1.
That is a rule they where taught in open sentence one how to check the accuracy of the solution they get to an equation.

Mathematics is very delicate teachers should not teach wrong things. That equation is easy to explain to the children that x can be any number but not zero.
Can you u?

I think "1" is best suited for the answer if you apply indices in solving it.

X/X = 1

X^1-1 = 1

X^0 = 1^0

Equating their powers gives:

X = 1
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by Mrshape: 1:48am On Mar 07, 2021
snowball11:

I think "1" is best suited for the answer if you apply indices in solving it.

X/X = 1

X^1-1 = 1

X^0 = 1^0

Equating their powers gives:

X = 1
What will you say about these

X/X = 1

X^1-1 = 1

X^0 = 2^0
Or

X/X = 1

X^1-1 = 1

X^0 = k^0

That means by comparison x=2 or x=K respectively because a value to the power of zero is a constant.

Think about that.
The best and only solution is all values except zero

1 Like

Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by YorubaPrince: 5:03am On Mar 07, 2021
OP, dem swear for you ni? Craze dey worry ur head so? You wan dey prove genius, abi? Genius wey no sabi shingba. angry
Re: This Is Simple JSS1 Work The Math TextBook & Teacher Failed It. Can You Get i? by etrange: 5:05am On Mar 07, 2021
Mrshape:

Can you u?

Ask your student why he/she picked 2 and not 3, 4 or 5 which still conforms to the logic. You really need to know if he/she understands it could be any number other than 0 or just believes x/x = 1 implies x = 2. If he/she understands the real logic behind his/her answer, that's really great though not necessarily a yardstick to measure every other student. But if he/she thinks it's just 2, then you'll find yourself explaining what might end up leading the kid into more confusion.

1 is not necessarily a better answer than 2, it is just a consensus . A primary one student who can't supply such answers as "all values <> 0" needs to provide a figure. They need to be able to compare notes with each other even when there's no adult to explain why all the answers are right. This is what led to the consensus and many others like it. The teachers aren't necessarily teaching the wrong thing cause 1 is also an acceptable answer. They are only scoping thier work. And like I explained in my first post with an example, this can be found in some other Mathematics topics even in secondary schools as well as in other subjects. There are rules that disappear as we progress.

I don't know it you still remember when you were in primary one. Such an answer as any "number other than zero" which needs to be associated with the specific case where the numerator and the denominator are the same variable is well above their level.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Which Course Can One Take In Uni With Pass In Math? / Too Expensive To Fail - Ufot Ekong: The Akwa Ibom Born Academic Celebrity / How Does A Carry Over Course Affect Course Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.