Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,696 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation (157 Views)

[PHOTO] Dangote, Otedola, Meet Buhari As Elumelu Invests $2.5m In Power Sector / Nigeria’s Power Sector Loses N24bn Monthly To Diesel Generators / Nine Banks Make N59.6bn From Maintenance Charges In 6 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by nony43(m): 4:58am On Mar 08, 2021
Between January 1 and March 6, 2021 Nigeria’s power sector lost N59.33bn but posted its highest ever peak generation of 5,802 megawatts during the period.

Documents obtained from the Federal Ministry of Power on the sector’s performance for the months of January, February and the few days in March showed that the industry was still losing billions daily.

This, however, was despite the marginal progress recorded in the production, evacuation and distribution of electricity.

Further findings showed that while the sector’s monetary loses persisted, it also recorded stranded energy continuously during the 55-day period.

In January, for instance, the sector lost N29.21bn, while the average quantum of energy that was stranded and could not be generated on the national grid was 1,963 megawatts-hour/hour.

An average energy of 4,495MWH/H was sent out during the first month of this year, while the highest quantum of power recorded in that month was 5,584MW.

It was gathered that insufficient gas supply, distribution and transmission bottlenecks emerged the major constraints that led to the revenue losses and stranded power in the sector.

In February, while the peak power generated on the grid moved up marginally by 31MW when compared to what was recorded in the preceding month, the sector still posted revenue losses.

The power sector lost N25.27bn in February, recorded a peak power generation of 5,615MW and witnessed an average of 1,881MWH/H as total constrained energy.

https://punchng.com/power-sector-loses-n59-33bn-despite-5802mw-peak-generation
Re: Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by Shollay20(m): 6:39am On Mar 08, 2021
MADNESS
Re: Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:56am On Mar 08, 2021
I will not blame our Minister this time

But to every person in Nigeria. A big shame to all.

How can the giant of Africa be struggling to generate 5000 megawatts of electricity in this modern era of the 21st century. Like it was in 1990 so it still is now in 2021, in some places the electricity situation has even gone worst!

So are we progressing or retrogressing?

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by nony43(m): 10:14am On Mar 08, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:
I will not blame our Minister this time

But to every person in Nigeria. A big shame to all.

How can the giant of Africa be struggling to generate 5000 megawatts of electricity in this modern era of the 21st century. Like it was in 1990 so it still is now in 2021, in some places the electricity situation has even gone worst!

So are we progressing or retrogressing?

What made us the giant of Africa?
Re: Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by BruncleZuma: 10:28am On Mar 08, 2021
nony43:

What made us the giant of Africa?

That individual mistakes having a huge population as being an economically viable entity despite the useless number of that population enslaving the rest and robbing them blind. Nigeria is far from a giant but rather a baby suffering the effects of progeria.

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 1:09pm On Mar 08, 2021
BruncleZuma:

That individual mistakes having a huge as being economically viable entity despite the useless number of that population enslaving the rest and robbing them blind. Nigeria is far from a giant but rather a baby suffering the effects of progeria.

No far from it I don't consider our as the giant of Africa.

But rather I think it is the dwarf of Africa

I only borrowed the Nairaland statement at the heading of it's political section that says "our country Nigeria is the giant of Africa"

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Loses N59.33bn Despite 5,802MW Peak Generation by BruncleZuma: 2:11pm On Mar 08, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:

No far from it I don't consider our as the giant of Africa.

But rather I think it is the dwarf of Africa

I only borrowed the Nairaland statement at the heading of it's political section that says "our country Nigeria is the giant of Africa"

I get your point now, we aren't unfortunately and it's sad.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Business / Alipay Account Needed / UBA Reports 28% Rise In Profit After Tax To N114B; To Pay Investors 35k Dividend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.