Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,683 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book (5759 Views)

Oil Theft: Navy Counters Asari Dokubo, Asks Him To Mention Names / Bola Tinubu And Other Pro-Democracy Activists In Exile In 1995 (Picture) / Mention Names Of Bishops At Shettima’s Unveiling - CAN Dares APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by bolaayenimo: 6:46am On Mar 08, 2021
Chief Olabode George, a retired Commodore in the Nigerian Navy, is a former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The Atona Oodua of Yorubaland in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, shares his experience in his days in the military, how God delivered him from being implicated in the Abacha coup and other issues. Excerpts:

It is surprising that given your long years in the top hierarchy of governance in the country, you were not really close to the late sage, Papa Obafemi Awolowo while he was alive. What was responsible for that?

I was in the military during the period Papa Awolowo held sway as one of Nigeria’s greatest politicians. What would I say I was doing with the politicians? I respected Papa Awolowo even though I knew him from afar. Even the late Alhaji Lateef Jakande who was like a big brother to me in Lagos, I had no business with him. I remember one time. He was governor of Lagos then. Something happened to my land and I went to see him in his house at Ilupeju in my uniform. He sat down on that his state chair and people were coming from right and left. When he saw me, he said ‘Bode, join the queue’. So, I also sat down and one by one we were moving until I saw him. He knew me very well. But what will I say I was doing with politicians like Papa Awolowo and others? I have no business with them as a military officer.

Another issue was that Papa was far up there but because my family house from my mother side came from the Herbert Macaulay stock. So, politics was always within the household. Herbert Macaulay who was my great grand uncle was the first Nigerian politician. He gave his life for the unity of this country. His greatest political son at that time was Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. He didn’t care where you are coming from or who you are. As long as you are a Nigerian, he would accept you.

He preached about the unity of the North and South and fought the colonialists till he died in 1946. I was a little baby then but my mum was always going to his house which was located at the present General Post Office in Marina. The British colonialists demolished it completely to obliterate his name. How could a monument like that, the house of the first Nigerian politician which could have been historical be destroyed just like that? So, I didn’t know Papa Awolowo but when I became governor, I met Oluwole. Papa Awolowo has passed away when I became governor but I met Mama HID Awolowo. I met Papa Adekunle Ajasin and so many of his followers at that time.

What role did you play during the June 12 crisis especially on the issue of National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) which was at the forefront of restoring the mandate of Bashorun MKO Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the 1993 presidential election?

I was in the military service then. There were genuine people in NADECO who were really serious about the June 12 issue. There were also fake NADECO people and we know them. I was working with General Diya in the villa and we saw it all. In fact, it was as a result of that ‘bad belle’ that I was retired. We had a meeting after they had arrested MKO Abiola. I remembered that day. It was one of the major issues that polarised the military. There were those who said ‘Mr. President, you accused Abiola of declaring himself president and so he had committed treason. Any serious-minded man who wants to declare himself as president is like a coup. Will that person go to Epetedo to announce that he has carried out a coup? Sir, let’s focus on where we are going’.

I remembered that time there was so much tension in the country amongst the senior officers. There were two groups who said he (Abacha) should let Abiola go. Let’s do a quick plan, revisit the constitution, settle this matter and ‘get the military back to the barracks. We thought that was the most reasonable thing to do. Some others thought no and said Abacha should continue in office. That was what led to what the late Bola Ige called ‘five fingers of a leprous hand’. They set up five political parties, with the sole aim that Abacha should succeed himself. That was unnecessary tension started. If the intention was getting there, settle whatever differences you thought were mitigating against this country and the military just quickly fix it and back out, it would have been beautiful. I remembered we had a meeting of senior officers and immediately after that, they were just picking those of us who are opposed to them. That was how I left the service. So, my impression about NADECO was that some were genuine and very committed but some were fake. They wanted to ride on the back of that NADECO whereas they were still negotiating with us in the military.

Are some of these fake NADECO men still alive today?

I won’t mention their names now. I will mention their names in my books; very disgraceful people who were pretending to be fighting for the actualisation of June 12. Today, they are now at the top of the echelons saying ‘We fought for NADECO, we fought for June 12’. They were fake. Fake like a rubber that didn’t grow on the tree. I will expose them soon.

Given your closeness to General Diya, how come you were not implicated in the Abacha coup in which he (Diya) and others were arrested and tried?

That was because I had left the military before it happened. That’s why I said God works in many mysterious ways. I will always tell the truth to power. It was a dog-eat-dog period even among senior military officers. The camaraderie that was established to unite the military was absent. If the military is divided, it’s a very dangerous thing for this country because we don’t fight wars by tribes. These are your colleagues, irrespective of wherever they come from because you are all going through the same channel in the tunnel and it could you or him who can be shot. So, that’s your comrade. You carry him and save him.

The truth is, military intervention into governance destroyed the military. When we came in, your neighbour is your brother. I have told you my relationship with Admiral Murtala Nyako. Till tomorrow, he is my brother. If anything happens to him, I will be there in a jiffy and if anything happens to me, he will be here. We met in the navy and that was the kind of camaraderie that the military established. All that disappeared during the Abacha era. You can’t go to the mess to relax; you can’t talk; you can’t debate. Whereas do you expose your brain? You are afraid to talk anywhere because they read meanings into what you say. A month before the crisis they retired me. When I told my father, he said ‘pack your things from Abuja and come home’. I was very close to Papa Adegoke of Adegoke motors, a real Papa Aladura. He was always very prayerful. When I told him, he said he went into a vigil, praying and saying ‘God, why this this happen now?’ He said suddenly, one of the pastors said ‘Baba, what if God rescued him from trouble through this early retirement? He said how do you know the plans of God? Eventually that was what happened.

I was preparing the speech for the Head of State because we had won the Olympics and General Abacha was to receive the Dream Team and it was my schedule to prepare the draft speech because I was in charge of parastatals. That was my last official function in the Navy before I was retired. Not long after I left, they swooped on the whole of our office and raided General Diya and others. I thank God for His grace. It was a bad blood that was sown and now it’s past as an experience. Some of us are still alive, some are dead but I pray that we should use it as an experience to make sure that such massive hatred and division will never happen again. I’m not looking at it through the prism of revenge. No, let us learn from history and avoid the pitfalls of the past so that we can improve the relationship within ourselves because if the military is not united, this country will not hold.

https://www.independent.ng/i-will-mention-names-of-fake-nadeco-activists-in-my-book-bode-george/

1 Like

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Monogamy: 6:50am On Mar 08, 2021
Tinubu should be number one on Mr Bode's list as Jagaban has been his nightmare in Lagos

21 Likes

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Baawaa(m): 6:50am On Mar 08, 2021
Corruption killed this man before his time

4 Likes

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by NOC1(m): 6:58am On Mar 08, 2021
This guy sees Tinubu in his dream everyday.
He is just to petty.
If Tinubu is not number 1 in his list, I will swim with boxers �� cool shocked cool

14 Likes

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by agulion: 6:59am On Mar 08, 2021
Bola Tinubu must be there, Tinubu is a deceiver and can never be trusted

1 Like

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Kennyfancy(m): 7:10am On Mar 08, 2021
Ok
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by ILoveDemMANNA: 7:11am On Mar 08, 2021
Good to read all those familiar history above.

1 Like

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by StreetFight: 7:11am On Mar 08, 2021
Okay. But, I will never read a gibberish written by an ex convict and treasury looter. I think he should give his gibberish to fellow ex convicts like James Onanefe Ibori, Lucky Igbinedion and MC Oluomo

10 Likes

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by whela(m): 7:12am On Mar 08, 2021
Lol....we shall wait....
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Slurity(m): 7:12am On Mar 08, 2021
Who is reading your useless book? Book from an ex-convict

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by INTEGRITYA1(m): 7:12am On Mar 08, 2021
Of what relevance is that to us? Just asking though.
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by aleeyus(m): 7:12am On Mar 08, 2021
grin
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by ILoveDemMANNA: 7:13am On Mar 08, 2021
Slurity:
Hehehehe grin grin grin
ThatFairGuy:
He'll still mention his nightmare, shameless old thief
Don't mind d ex-convict.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Bellotelli: 7:14am On Mar 08, 2021
Write ur book and read it yourself.. Man cannot live by book alone shocked

1 Like

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Lagoon0: 7:15am On Mar 08, 2021
angry

When ex convict became your president in 1999 were you sleeping then?

Ex convict kor revovid ni undecided
Slurity:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by ThatFairGuy: 7:15am On Mar 08, 2021
He'll still mention his nightmare, shameless old thief
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by tishbite41(m): 7:18am On Mar 08, 2021
TINUBU - 001

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by tishbite41(m): 7:19am On Mar 08, 2021
Lagoon0:
angry

When ex convict became your president in 1999 were do sleeping then?

abeg no carry laff kee me. I neva chop!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Greenback: 7:19am On Mar 08, 2021
#1 is the tiff. The TifnuSomething

grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by CrimeKsmart: 7:19am On Mar 08, 2021
Slurity:
Igbos grin grin. In as much as Tinubu will be mentioned

4 Likes

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by tfelicityk(m): 7:20am On Mar 08, 2021
Monogamy:
Tinubu should be number one Mr Bode's list as Jagaban have been his nightmare in Lagos
You have said it all...
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Greenback: 7:21am On Mar 08, 2021
CrimeKsmart:

Igbos grin grin. In as much as Tinubu will be mentioned

It's clear you and slurity have problems reading. grin
Reading is just not your culture grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by meum: 7:22am On Mar 08, 2021
Irrelevant books by these politicians. Mtchew!
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Greenback: 7:22am On Mar 08, 2021
Lagoon0:
angry

When ex convict became your president in 1999 were do sleeping then?

See finishing!!! grin grin
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by Whois(m): 7:22am On Mar 08, 2021
Publish it and do giveaway please

1 Like

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by badaru911: 7:26am On Mar 08, 2021
... Hmmm.... I'm sure that Bola Tinubu will be number one on the list....

1 Like

Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by olasaad(f): 7:28am On Mar 08, 2021
Who cares about that again cool even we don't care about the true stories behind the annulment anymore cheesy Abiola is gone cheesy IBB is going gradually shocked and you are talking about your book. Lol if you like mention the name of those of you sponsoring Boko haram tongue we don't care Mr Bode
Re: Bode George: I Will Mention Names Of Fake NADECO Activists In My Book by urbobo20(m): 7:29am On Mar 08, 2021
papa bode , no need we know him already that is mr tinubu

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

AGF Malami's Son Cools Off In His $400k Mansion / 330,000 Nigerian Refugees Residing In Chad, Cameroun, Niger Republic- Minister / 2023 Presidency: Insecurity An Arrow Deliberately Aimed At South-East - Ohaneze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.