Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless (2932 Views)

Nasiru Gwarzo: 80% Of Kano Coronavirus Samples Test Positive / Growing Trend Of Young Men With White Beard / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by AgentGoat: 5:10pm On Mar 09, 2021
Those olders doctors you see are once a junior before u get it?

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by luminouz(m): 5:11pm On Mar 09, 2021
Keshinr0:

Medical work ought not to be a guess work, if you have the right people to guide you.
Let me share a scenario
I treated a malaria about 3weeks ago. I went to a community heallth hospital. There was no doctor on sight, only 3 professional nurses and about 5 students nurses.
Could you believed the matron asked the students nurses to attend to me, without guidance.
Truly she(student nurse) did well until when she injected me. As a med student myself, I noticed she injected me in a position a nerve was located (sciatic). I told her, you could have damage my sciatic nerve, she was surprised, apologize, asked personal questions, Only for her to tell me I was the first person she injected. No guidance for her, seniors who ought to put her through were gossiping
Tell me.you collected her number. grin wink
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by juniorstar(m): 6:00pm On Mar 09, 2021
ChizzyBuna:
Gone are those days when people who study medicine, study it because of passion and knowledge.

These young doctors were either forced by their parents to study medicine or they study medicine to earn big money.
Not because of the knowledge.

These young doctors in Nigeria are the worst set of doctors I've ever seen
Very clueless, always doing guess work with people's life.
Doing misdiagnosis and prescribing wrong drugs
80% of them study medicine because their parents force them so they can booast that my son/daughter is a doctor.

Anytime you enter a hospital and the doctor is a young guy or girl
PLEASE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
They make a lot of mistakes and are inexperienced.
Only go for the senior doctors or elderly doctors. Those ones have years upon years of experience.
These young doctors are very clueless
THEY ARE USING PEOPLE TO LEARN WORK.
Avoid them or ask for a senior doctor

an experienced doctor was once a young doc...if you want an experienced doctor be ready to pay heavily or you wait in line till it gets to your turn. just pray it isnt an emergency. which big money 200k per month or 350k per month as a family man.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Ghostrye: 6:01pm On Mar 09, 2021
ChizzyBuna:

I'm not talking about tests
With my experience in hospitals, it's the Senior or older doctors that get things right 90% of the time.
The guess work of a senior doctor is 10 times better than the guess work of young doctors.
Older doctors have more experience
The senior doctors in Nigeria are far more better. They have more experience in signs and symptoms than the new young doctors.

Here is My experience

A child of 4 years was given antibiotics at home for flu and the parents noticed he had severe side effects from the antibiotics.
They took the child to hospital and complain to the doctor that the 4 yrs old has bad reaction to antibiotics
Guess what??
The young doctor even after the complian still gave the 4 yr old Rocephin which is a stronger antibiotics.
Now the 4 year old has severe joint pain,swollen face and red patches all over his body. Can't walk and is in serious pain

Only for the senior doctor to call and apologize this morning for the mistake of the young doctor.
I don't know how these young doctors graduate from med school.
Who knows how many lives those young doctors have wasted with their quackery
No matter how educated a new doctor is, he can't be as experienced as a veteran in the field. That doesn't make him useless he just needs more experience to get better at it

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by drmuchin: 6:16pm On Mar 09, 2021
ChizzyBuna:
Gone are those days when people who study medicine, study it because of passion and knowledge.

These young doctors were either forced by their parents to study medicine or they study medicine to earn big money.

80% of them study medicine because their parents force them so they can booast that my son/daughter is a doctor.

PLEASE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Only go for the senior doctors or elderly doctors. Those ones have years upon years of experience.

I wu anuohia
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 09, 2021
This one has come again, before all African Americans are useless now it is doctors.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by zagorakis(m): 7:13pm On Mar 09, 2021
if everyone avoids them how then will they get the experience as the older ones?
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 09, 2021
ChizzyBuna:

PLEASE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

U Are Wrong. Dat A Doctor Is Young Doesn't Always Mean He Or She Is Incompetent.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by daddy001: 7:27pm On Mar 09, 2021
zagorakis:
if everyone avoids them how then will they get the experience as the older ones?
This opinion should not be applicable to human life.Human life is so precious.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Karleb(m): 8:35pm On Mar 09, 2021
zagorakis:

Let them learn with their family members. Not as if the job is pro bono.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Ekpekus(m): 10:56pm On Mar 09, 2021
ChizzyBuna:

PLEASE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

How did you come about this statistics? How many hospitals have you been to in Nigeria? How many young doctors have you interacted with? What are the percentage of young doctors in Nigeria? When you say young, what age range are we talking about?

In summary, this is conclusion of hasty generalization.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Ekpekus(m): 11:18pm On Mar 09, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

That is a common misconception. I don't know how far along you've gone in medical school, but as a medically trained person you will soon realise that medical diagnosis is mostly educated guesswork and statistical inference based on the symptoms and history. To get a 100% certain diagnosis requires a lot of tests and time. That is why most clinics will first of all test you for malaria or typhoid if you present with fever. This is because the tests are cheap and statistically speaking, most fevers in this part of the world are likely to be either malaria or typhoid. But however you put it, these are still educated guesses. It is only when you don't respond to treatment for malaria and/or typhoid that the doctors will be likely to probe your fever further. Chances are, the anti malarials will clear up any malaria parasites and the heavy antibiotics used for 'typhoid' treatment will clear up any infection; even if it is not actually typhoid. So you'll go home thinking that the doctor actually knew what was wrong with you, when he really had no idea.

Your experience with the nurse was unfortunate, but it does not represent what goes on in all medical training facilities. Most nurses are extremely well trained, and you obviously can't expect the seniors to handle every little task personally; though in this case, she should have trained the student a bit more before letting her go solo.

Doctors are not gods. They don't cure and they often don't know what's wrong with their patient. They just point in the general direction of what they think it is and blast away; giving your immune system a better shot at healing itself.
Aptly written.
Doctors are not magicians whether old, young, home or abroad. Hence the place of differentials in diagnosis, lab investigation, ruling out possible diagnosis via clinical judgment and all that.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by HappyCreative(f): 11:36pm On Mar 09, 2021
ChizzyBuna:

I'm not talking about tests
With my experience in hospitals, it's the Senior or older doctors that get things right 90% of the time.
The guess work of a senior doctor is 10 times better than the guess work of young doctors.
Older doctors have more experience
The senior doctors in Nigeria are far more better. They have more experience in signs and symptoms than the new young doctors.

Here is My experience

A child of 4 years was given antibiotics at home for flu and the parents noticed he had severe side effects from the antibiotics.
They took the child to hospital and complain to the doctor that the 4 yrs old has bad reaction to antibiotics
Guess what??
The young doctor even after the complian still gave the 4 yr old Rocephin which is a stronger antibiotics.
Now the 4 year old has severe joint pain,swollen face and red patches all over his body. Can't walk and is in serious pain

Only for the senior doctor to call and apologize this morning for the mistake of the young doctor.

Obviously the older doctors with more experience will have more knowledge.

It is also up to those older doctors to pass knowledge to the younger ones is it not?
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by KingAzubuike(f): 11:37pm On Mar 09, 2021
2cul2care:
It's very rampant with younger doctors, I've experienced it myself, mine the doctor was checking his textbook right in front of me, for the symptoms I described to him and the prescription for it

But is wrong to categorize all young doctors as being useless.
Medicine is extremely broad. You can't expect him to know everything. Moreover medicine Isa filed such that the older the wine , the better the taste. Those young lads are inexperienced and to avoid costly mistakes, they need to consult textbooks or the internet once in a while. Even in banks, you see young cashiers asking their colleagues questions when something is not clear

ogashman
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by joinnow: 1:34am On Mar 10, 2021
why is it all the MRI,SCan,test,xray, done here in Nigeria and you take it outside country you will be ask to redo
everything again before treatments. Talking out of experience

Test done by big top 2 Diagnostic firms in Nigeria run by India.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Ilekokonit: 2:00am On Apr 10, 2021
ChizzyBuna:

Doing misdiagnosis and prescribing wrong drugs.

PLEASE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Only go for the senior doctors or elderly doctors.

ChizzyBuna:

When someone cheats their way through Medical School Exams, that Doctor Quack is a killer on the loose.

Even the older Doctors did not all pass their exams by dint of hard work but by cheating as the rot in our WHOLE educational system has been there for more than 30 years but arguably is now like a cancer.

I was a student at UI Medical School many years ago and 20% of my classmates were cheating to pass first MB exams in a situation where people who are repeating decide to do division of labour and instead of studying every thing, they decide to study just upper limb and someone else studies lower limb, thorax etc, etc and then they sit at the back of the class and compare notes and end up scoring 100% .

This is apart from the children of Professors of Medicine being given preferential treatment in the exam hall (e.g. coming too late for an exam and instead of disqualifying her, the invigilator (a lecturer who was taught in med school by the girls father who is a Prof of medicine) kept repeating to our hearing "where is the she that must be obeyed" until the Profs daughter showed up more than an hour late for the exam.

And then there is the case of the son of a Prof of medicine in my class who used to see the real exam questions before the exam date and then circulate them to his inner circle and they all end up scoring 100% in the exam and then when too many people pass then there is negative marking and deduction of marks from every one such that your honest 60% could become 40% which is a fail.

Thank God I left that toxic course behind and went for Accounting and latterly Computer Programming.

Forcing your child to become a doctor could be the worst parenting decision you make
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/08/forcing-your-child-to-become-a-doctor-could-be-the-worst-parenting-decision-you-make

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by webincomeplus(m): 7:28am On Apr 10, 2021
A doctor who quickly checks textbooks or other references just to be sure thay he is doing the right thing could be the safer doctor. On the other hand, that doctor who made a diagnosis or gave a prescription right off the hook might have mixed things up in a way that could lead to terrible consequences. People need to be duly enlightened.
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Mrlcredible: 2:43am On Apr 16, 2021
FalseProphet1:
This is why prophets like myself are constantly cashing out. When doctors fails, the dark forces will submit to us. Know this and peace will forever be yours.
baba na you still be boss.
Drsnives the impostor still dey learn work

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by Drsnives(m): 11:58am On Apr 16, 2021
Mrlcredible:
baba na you still be boss.
Drsnives the impostor still dey learn work
Go n make your research boi, imposters/fake/inferior products eats the fattest while the leftovers are left for the original owners. Know this n have peace

This I have seen
Re: 80% Of Young Doctors In Nigeria Are Very Useless by dreu2fine(m): 1:35pm On Apr 16, 2021
Xenry:
Do you know what it takes to become a medical doctor, or even to raise one? Though this country isn't developed, but those guys certainly ain't useless. sad Unless for some of them who may be forced by their parents to study the course, or for those who cheated along the way.
Op, stop misusing the word USELESS. Check your dictionary for better words.
useless means many tin espcialy for some doctors who are very uselesly useless

(1) (2) (Reply)

Now Fat People Can Become Slim In Just 14 Days With Gc180xt / 5 Harmful Ingredients In Toothpaste ? / Itching Of Eyes – Causes And Best Home Remedies For Itching Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.