Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,320 members, 7,954,282 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:57 PM

Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? (286 Views)

Must A Born Again Christian Do Restitution Or Simply Move Forward? / The Importance Of Restitution In Believer's Life. / Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? by emmyileri(m): 7:18pm On Mar 09, 2021
Restitution is a biblical concept, and there are passages in both Old and New Testaments that reveal the mind of God on this subject. In the Old Testament, the Israelites were under the Law, which specified restitution in a variety of circumstances: (Exodus 22:1, 3-6, 14).Leviticus 6:2-5. In the New Testament, we have the wonderful example of Zacchaeus in Luke 19.
The same holds true for anyone who truly knows Christ today. Genuine repentance leads to a desire to redress wrongs. When someone becomes a Christian, he will have a desire born of deep conviction to do good, and that includes making restoration whenever possible. The idea of "whenever possible" is crucially important to remember. There are some crimes and sins for which there is no adequate restitution. In such instances, a Christian should make some form of restitution that demonstrates repentance, but at the same time, does not need to feel guilty about the inability to make full restitution. Restitution is to be a result of our salvation"it is not a requirement for salvation. If you have received forgiveness of sins through faith in Jesus Christ, all of your sins are forgiven, whether or not you have been able to make restitution for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXGjXmIKY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GsNUxNUmKM&t=21s
Re: Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Mar 09, 2021
emmyileri:
Restitution is a biblical concept, and there are passages in both Old and New Testaments that reveal the mind of God on this subject. In the Old Testament, the Israelites were under the Law, which specified restitution in a variety of circumstances: (Exodus 22:1, 3-6, 14).Leviticus 6:2-5. In the New Testament, we have the wonderful example of Zacchaeus in Luke 19.
The same holds true for anyone who truly knows Christ today. Genuine repentance leads to a desire to redress wrongs. When someone becomes a Christian, he will have a desire born of deep conviction to do good, and that includes making restoration whenever possible. The idea of "whenever possible" is crucially important to remember. There are some crimes and sins for which there is no adequate restitution. In such instances, a Christian should make some form of restitution that demonstrates repentance, but at the same time, does not need to feel guilty about the inability to make full restitution. Restitution is to be a result of our salvation"it is not a requirement for salvation. If you have received forgiveness of sins through faith in Jesus Christ, all of your sins are forgiven, whether or not you have been able to make restitution for them.
How did you arrive at your conclusion that what Zacchaus did in Luke 19 was Restitution in any form? undecided

So when Jesus Christ commanded the Rich man to sell all he had and give it to the poor, was that also an example of 'Restitution'? undecided

I am afraid you are using the wrong word and hence probably the wrong idea of what Jesus Christ in fact commands of all those who will choose to become worthy of being His followers.
Re: Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? by emmyileri(m): 7:31pm On Mar 09, 2021
[quote author=Kobojunkie post=99748488] How did you arrive at your conclusion that what Zacchaus did in Luke 19 was Restitution in any form? undecided

So when Jesus Christ commanded the Rich man to sell all he had and give it to the poor, was that also an example of 'Restitution'? undecided[/quote

Luke 19:8
KJV:And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have TAKEN any thing from any man by false accusation, I RESTORE him fourfold.

On the rich man, Jesus was trying to let the man knows that he loves possession or wealth more than him. The Bible emphasized it that he went home sad because he had much possessions. One thing is still lacking in the man, that is love. That is not restitution
Re: Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? by emmyileri(m): 7:32pm On Mar 09, 2021
KJV:And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

On the rich man, Jesus was trying to let the man knows that he loves possession or wealth more than him. The Bible emphasized it that he went home sad because he had much possessions. One thing is still lacking in the man, that is love. That is not restitution
Re: Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Mar 09, 2021
emmyileri:

KJV:And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

On the rich man, Jesus was trying to let the man knows that he loves possession or wealth more than him. The Bible emphasized it that he went home sad because he had many possessions. One thing is still lacking in the man, that is love. That is not restitution
Oh, I see! But what Zaccheus did there, we are not told that it was in response to what Jesus Christ said.
Of course it is of course not evil to return that which you have stolen to those whom you have stolen from.

What is more important though is that Zaccheus only gave away half of what He owned, and there is no follow up stating that Zaccheus became a follower of Jesus Christ after that encounter.

However, the case is different for the Rich man who intended to become a followers of Jesus Christ and was told that what was left for Him to do was loose everything he had (deny self, including his life...), the same commands that He gave everyone else, in order to become worthy of Jesus Christ. So, no, Jesus Christ did not single the Rich young man out there.

Jesus Christ was not just trying to reveal the man's love of his possessions to the man since it was not a Sin to have possession under the old covenant. Instead, what Jesus Christ told the man was the same commanded He gave to all who will choose to become His followers. The
Re: Does Restitution Play A Part In Our Salvation As Christians? by emmyileri(m): 7:57pm On Mar 09, 2021
watch the video that accompanied the article, Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Pro Iginla Raises Healing Prayer For Shepherd Bushiri's Ailing Daughter / Deeper Life Easter Retreat 2021 Details - Christiangospel TV / Modern Christianity Depends On Feelings, Personal Experience And Revelations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.