Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States (14498 Views)

Buhari Sends Ministerial List To Senate, Names 42 Nominees / Killings In Northern Nigeria Have Nothing To Do With Religion – ACF / 'We Will Make Nigeria Liveable Again' - Buhari Assures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Liposure: 11:23pm On Mar 09, 2021
Fact-Check: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States

CLAIM: A viral WhatsApp post entitled “Below is the purported kite being flown by the Federal Government – Nigerian Economic Restructuring Bill 2021” outlines that Nigeria will be made up of 42 states with seven per each of her constituent geo-political zone.
VERDICT: Checks and confirmation by Dubawa showed there is no such ‘bill’ from the Federal Government as widely circulated. It was only a ‘proposal’ from an author, Ayo Akinfe in one of his columns.

A viral WhatsApp post which has been forwarded/shared many times as indicated by the instant messaging application, entitled “Below is the purported kite being flown by the Federal Government – Nigerian Economic Restructuring Bill 2021”, claims that Nigeria will be made up of 42 states with seven per each of her constituent geo-political zone.

The post which bears the author as ‘Ayo Akinfe’ on his website, said: [1] Nigeria will be made up of 42 states, with seven per each of her constituent geo-political zone. These shall be:

South-south

[1] Bayelsa State – Yenagoa

[2] Western Ijaw State – Patani

[3] Rivers State – Port Harcourt

[4] Cross River State – Calabar

[5] Akwa Ibom State – Uyo

[6] Edo State – Benin

[7] Delta State – Warri

Northeast

[1] Mambilla State – Gashaka

[2] Taraba State – Jalingo

[3] Adamawa State – Yola

[4] Borno State – Maiduguri

[5] Yobe State – Damaturu

[6] Bauchi State – Bauchi

[7] Gombe State – Gombe

Southeast

[1] Anioma State – Asaba

[2] Orashi State – Omoku

[3] Anambra State – Awka

[4] Imo State – Owerri

[5] Enugu State – Enugu

[6] Abia State – Umuahia

[7] Ebonyi State – Abakaliki

North-Central

[1] Abuja State – Abuja

[2] Gurara State – Kafanchan

[3] Benue State – Makurdi

[4] Plateau State – Jos

[5] Nasarawa State – Lafia

[6] Kogi State – Lokoja

[7] Niger State – Minna

Southwest

[1] Kwara State – Ilorin

[2] Oyo State – Ibadan

[3] Ogun State – Abeokuta

[4] Lagos State – Ikeja

[5] Ondo – Akure

[6] Ekiti – Ado-Ekiti

[7] Osun – Oshogbo

Northwest

[1] Sokoto State – Sokoto

[2] Kebbi State – Birnin Kebbi

[3] Kaduna State – Kaduna

[4] Katsina State – Katsina

[5] Kano State – Kano

[6] Jigawa State – Dutse

[7] Zamfara State – Gusua

The post which has also been shared on other social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, has generated mixed reactions. Many have debated and deliberated over the post but yet there is nothing as such.

Meanwhile, one @shawnfendi on Twitter shared the post and it had over 100 engagements. Also, @JustSociety4all with over 13,000 followers, shared the post on her timeline.

According to afrobarometer.org, Nigeria is a federation of 36 states and 1 Federal Capital Territory. Each of the 36 states is a semi-autonomous political unit that shares powers with the Federal Government as enumerated under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

From 1960 to 1966, Nigeria operated on the basis of Northern region, Western region, Eastern region, and the Mid-Western region.

The creation of states began in 1967 with General Yakubu Gowon coming to power via a coup d’état. He dissolved the regions and created twelve states out of them.

Verification
In verifying the authenticity of the post, our correspondent searched through the internet to find a traceable background link to the post, but no credible media outlet has reported any news about the purported bill.

A twitter account owned by Ayo Akinfe (@AyoAkinfe), where the story was shared after it was posted on its website, created more clarification about the post.

While responding to enquiries from our correspondent via his Twitter Direct message, on the purported bill which bears his name, he said, it was “Just a proposal from me.”

“I intend to publish a collection of all my thoughts in a book,” he added.

Akinfe who authored the piece said he writes 10-point columns every day on his website.

However, the London-based journalist said “Ignore all those wayo people attributing it to the government.”

Dubawa also reached out to the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu. In Garba’s reaction, he described the report as ‘unknown’ and asked that the presidency be left out of it since it was not a draft bill from the presidency.

Conclusion
The trending piece which has been attributed to the federal government is FALSE.

The author, Ayo Akinfe, clarified to Dubawa that he wrote the piece as a proposal in his column; hence, the ‘Nigerian Economic Restructuring Bill 2021’ is not a purported kite being flown by the Federal Government as widely circulated on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/entertainment/naija-fashion/447780-fact-check-theres-no-bill-to-make-nigeria-have-42-states.html

1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Liposure: 11:30pm On Mar 09, 2021
Full Text

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Liposure: 11:31pm On Mar 09, 2021
More and Map of Nigeria

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Armaggedon: 11:33pm On Mar 09, 2021
I saw how the writer expressed his fantasy of dividing the Igboland in Rivers into two. Orashi in SE and PH in SS. While at the same time bringing Kwara to SW. I knew he was another yorubaman.
What people like Obi wali fought and was killed for, was the creation of PH state into SE.

well, all these are meaningless now. state creation makes the central govt more powerful and regions weaker. separation is the best.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Skepticus: 11:35pm On Mar 09, 2021
Clowns!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Ademola47(m): 11:44pm On Mar 09, 2021
Joke of the decade!

4 Likes

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by festacman(m): 12:16am On Mar 10, 2021
Too much talks on restructuring of the country but little practical ideas on how to go about it. I commend Ayo Akinfe for his ideas and urge more people to put forward their own ideas. Through sharing of ideas and discussions/debates that will follow, more ideas will emerge which will ultimately help our lawmakers on the way foward.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by thatsleepboy1: 12:20am On Mar 10, 2021
Whether the creation of states or not, this piece of land will still be divided one day.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by longetivity(m): 12:41am On Mar 10, 2021
Give me ODUDUWA REPUBLIC

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Liposure: 5:35am On Mar 10, 2021
Just imagine 42 prodigal children
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by orisa37: 6:14am On Mar 10, 2021
Satan is a Failure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by valirex: 6:22am On Mar 10, 2021
Armaggedon:
I saw how the writer expressed his fantasy of dividing the Igboland in Rivers into two. Orashi in SE and PH in SS. While at the same time bringing Kwara to SW. I knew he was another yorubaman.
What people like Obi wali fought and was killed for, was the creation of PH state into SE.

well, all these are meaningless now. state creation makes the central govt more powerful and regions weaker. separation is the best.

Ibos do not own the entire River.

There are Ikweres, Ekpeye etc while the Ijaws own the coastlines

AdakaBoro8
ijawcitizen

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Monogamy: 6:50am On Mar 10, 2021
That was obvious lie now

The states should rather be merged together.

Imagine Bayelsa with less than 2 million population but still find it hard to pay salary even upon the monthly Oil revenue they are receiving from FG

8 Likes

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Armaggedon: 6:50am On Mar 10, 2021
valirex:

Ibos do not own the entire Cross River.
AdakaBoro8 ijawcitizen
read my post well. Didn't understand you.

2 Likes

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by theFilmtric: 6:54am On Mar 10, 2021
it would only cause more problems

We need restructuring or division into two
North
And
South Nigeria United autonomous regions of S.N

Give all regions their autonomy
Stop the northern leeching

The central government is too strong for a nation like Nigeria

We need a confederate

theFilmtricsay

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by joshjc(m): 7:02am On Mar 10, 2021
Nigeria should be restructured into a Confederate State,or
any state creation should be based on refredum.not all this unviable imagination of some people, and beside no part of Delta state should be removed from the south south into the south east

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by valirex: 7:04am On Mar 10, 2021
Armaggedon:
read my post well. Didn't understand you.

Make me understand
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by SouthNigerian: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2021
theFilmtric:
it would only cause more problems

We need restructuring or division into two
North
And
South Nigeria United autonomous regions of S.N

Give all regions their autonomy
Stop the northern leeching

The central government is too strong for a nation like Nigeria

We need a confederate

theFilmtricsay

Absolutely, on point.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by MysteryShopper: 7:13am On Mar 10, 2021
They can create anything they like but nobody should touch any part of Anambra

1 Like

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by AdakaBoro8(m): 7:26am On Mar 10, 2021
valirex:

AdakaBoro8 ijawcitizen
bro. i dey come o. dat idiot nor wan get sense.

1 Like

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by AdakaBoro8(m): 7:26am On Mar 10, 2021
valirex:

AdakaBoro8 ijawcitizen
valirex:

AdakaBoro8 ijawcitizen

1 Like

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Armaggedon: 7:31am On Mar 10, 2021
valirex:

Make me understand
I didn't understand your reaction to my initial post and how cross river joined my conversation.

1 Like

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by valirex: 8:07am On Mar 10, 2021
Armaggedon:
I didn't understand your reaction to my initial post and how cross river joined my conversation.

Port Harcourt is in River State, and there are several tribes there, Ibo alone cannot claim it all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Armaggedon: 8:25am On Mar 10, 2021
valirex:

Port Harcourt is in River State, and there are several tribes there, Ibo alone cannot claim it all
port harcourt city has no other indigenous ethnic group except Igbo speaking ones. Old Rivers province has two Igbo speaking divisions which are Ahoada division and port harcourt division. It is mischief to split them.

12 Likes

Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by milann: 8:58am On Mar 10, 2021
Nigeria is too small to contain 42 states. Regionalise the country.
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by Liposure: 9:42am On Mar 10, 2021
Mynd44
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by DuBLINGreenb(m): 10:00am On Mar 10, 2021
Ofcourse there will be no such bill they can't afford to have people challenge the status quo
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by DuBLINGreenb(m): 10:00am On Mar 10, 2021
The political class Love Nigeria just the way it is

More development and freedom will threaten the status quo
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by capricornlady: 10:01am On Mar 10, 2021
Re: There Is No Bill To Make Nigeria Have 42 States by MrIcredible: 10:01am On Mar 10, 2021
sad

We don't care!

All I want is

Restructuring

Referendum

Federalism

Or best bet

DIVISION

SEPARATION

This useless union is not working.
Some idǐots are just living of of other people's sweat and inheritance.
Let us all go our separate ways.
IT SHOULD CREATE A POSITIVE COMPETITION...
I want to be watching Biafra and Arewa or whatever only on TV or radio.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC Writes Secondus, Invites PDP National Officers For Investigation / Only Foreign Borrowing Can Save Naira, Clear CBN Debts – EIU / Boko Haram: Buhari Vows To Find Missing Chibok Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.