Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Challenges Programmers Face - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Challenges Programmers Face (878 Views)

I'm Leaving Nairaland But Not Without A Gift For ALL Programmers! / See Money Making Programmers In Nairalans / Benefits Of The Improvements Made On Forum4africa - Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Programmers Face by Jacksparrow7(m): 6:57am On Mar 10, 2021
Does your coding fetch you money to at least take care of yourself?

This question is to everyone under this thread
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:33am On Mar 10, 2021
Learning to code is a double edged sword. There's a whole lot of difference between coding as a hobby and coding to make a living unfortunately a lot of people who are learning code in Nigeria are learning to code as a hobby.

Someone can code for 7, 8 years and never make a penny but another person can do it for 3 months and start working.

6 Likes

Re: Challenges Programmers Face by stanliwise(m): 9:55am On Mar 10, 2021
The paradox in the programming industry.
coding that feed you to be sincere takes time. And there is a big lie out there on the internet.

No one, I repeat, no one ever becomes financially stable by being a web developer or a programmer overnight, In fact most people who comes to YouTube to tell this story are basically nothing but marketers, marketing their content, most of the have no clue about he situation you are in and really have no practical advise for your situation ATM , you spend alot of time on their content, getting mesmerized and feeling happy. But when you're on your own, you have just no clue on how to move ahead.

You-Tubers, Bloggers, speakers and eBook sellers. In case you started web dev and you haven't started cashing out quickly, it is entirely normal and nothing is wrong with you.

Some Google genius you see today, coding big apps at 21, many of them started learning how to code from age 5, 7, 11 and it means they have been in the game for about 10 - 15 years just being at 21. You need to understand the implications.

Cashing out don't have to take so long every-time but you need just a lot of experience, after learning how to code, you need to also learn the experience of how to code a working application. In fact in most cases you need not code most part of the application, you only need to specialize in one part. The journey is not that straight forward but it is not as just so easy nor it is too difficult beyond reach. it has a process and if you don't follow the process then you may never fit in.

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 11:19am On Mar 10, 2021
Depends on what you code, alot don't research it's why they don't earn alot, there are some skills that Recruiters will be begging you with offers. My advice, the harder it is and scarce the more valuable. PHP Skills will be exposed to low rates, but WordPress Development will not be, if you know React and Node, so does others, but knowing things like Shopify / Airtable Development or something will fetch you more. That's how i see it.

Soon we will need to do some Google meet and have discussion because a lot of you are taking the wrong approach, even I sometimes included too.

All the best

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Programmers Face by The5DME(m): 1:13pm On Mar 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Learning to code is a double edged sword. There's a whole lot of difference between coding as a hobby and coding to make a living unfortunately a lot of people who are learning code in Nigeria are learning to code as a hobby.

Someone can code for 7, 8 years and never make a penny but another person can do it for 3 months and start working.
sent you a mail bro.
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by islamics(m): 1:52pm On Mar 10, 2021
@op at a point in time it was paying my bill when I was employed as Android developer even though I was really underpaid then grin grin grin. Right now, I want it to continue as bill/responsibility don increase.

@qtguru Looking forward to the Google meet abeg. It seems you and tensazangetsu20 dey into platform development.
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 2:34pm On Mar 10, 2021
islamics:
@op at a point in time it was paying my bill when I was employed as Android developer even though I was really underpaid then grin grin grin. Right now, I want it to continue as bill/responsibility don increase.

@qtguru Looking forward to the Google meet abeg. It seems you and tensazangetsu20 dey into platform development.

I will link up tensazangetsu and do something this week.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Drella(m): 6:11pm On Mar 10, 2021
qtguru:

I will link up tensazangetsu and do something this week.

Please make it on an evening/night when people must have been back home.
Thanks
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 6:13pm On Mar 10, 2021
Drella:

Thanks

Yeah I am thinking of that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Johnmattee(m): 7:28pm On Mar 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Oh gawd! money must be made. Enough of hobby
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Naijatask: 6:45am On Mar 11, 2021
About the google meet, will a thread be created? I would have preferred a WhatsApp group though
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 8:51am On Mar 11, 2021
Naijatask:
About the google meet, will a thread be created? I would have preferred a WhatsApp group though

I like that, a thread might be created
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2021
Drella:

Thanks

So I will send a google meet invite for 7 , it will be just a small discussion and from there we will discuss if it should be a weekly thing.

Regards
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by islamics(m): 6:23pm On Mar 12, 2021
qtguru:

So I will send a google meet invite for 7 , it will be just a small discussion and from there we will discuss if it should be a weekly thing.

Regards

Looking forward to it Sir. Nice initiative...
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 6:58pm On Mar 12, 2021
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by SDJosh: 9:11pm On Mar 12, 2021
qtguru:
https://meet.google.com/zfi-iqiq-vrz
Thanks for the awesome session. Tesan, thanks also.
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 9:15pm On Mar 12, 2021
Lol sorry all, NEPA Struck so till next week, but we can create a thread and have discussion around Tech and Biz, thanks all it was fun.

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Drella(m): 11:54am On Mar 14, 2021
qtguru:

Regards

Just saw it.I missed it because of my busy schedule.
Hopefully I will be present at the next meeting.
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Jacksparrow7(m): 4:16am On Mar 25, 2021
islamics:

Am planning using a keyboard Tablet to do programming. Would it be great?
@qtguru @SDJosh @Naijatask @Johnmattee @Drella @The5DME @stanliwise @tensazangetsu20
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Naijatask: 6:46am On Mar 25, 2021
Jacksparrow7:

@qtguru @SDJosh @Naijatask @Johnmattee @Drella @The5DME @stanliwise @tensazangetsu20

Do you mean a tablet which has windows as an OS? If yes, then that will suffice for the main time if it could install the necessary tools like node js and vs code, sublime or any other text editor.

PS: you could connect the tablet to your plasma TV, that's if the tablet has an HDMI port smiley
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 7:05am On Mar 25, 2021
Naijatask:

Do you mean a tablet which has windows as an OS? If yes, then that will suffice for the main time if it could install the necessary tools like node js and vs code, sublime or any other text editor.

PS: you could connect the tablet to your plasma TV, that's if the tablet has an HDMI port smiley

Hmmmm never tried to code on a tablet so have no idea, Chromebook is the only thing that comes to mind
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by stanliwise(m): 7:18am On Mar 25, 2021
Jacksparrow7:

Hmmm yea to some extent but when things gets more serious, you definitely would need a good computer
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by qtguru(m): 10:11am On Mar 25, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Lol I feel attacked, coding is my hobby nau cry
Re: Challenges Programmers Face by Johnmattee(m): 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2021
Jacksparrow7:

I don't think you can do serious coding with that. A PC will be preferable.

(1) (Reply)

150k Per Month. Laravel Dev Wanted / Self-taught Programmers / Urgent Advise Neded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.