Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,641 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails (880 Views)

All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / ANPP, CPC, ACN To Become One By April – Shekarau / CPC & ACN Merger Faces Challenge From Stakeholders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by Lenny9000(m): 3:24am On Apr 13, 2011
Reports reaching SaharaReporters from Abuja indicate that the Lagos House talks in Abuja between the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) about possible alliance in preparation for next Saturday’s presidential election have broken down.

As reported a few hours ago, the agreement would have required that Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, the presidential candidate, of the ACN step down.  That proposal is said to be sitting poorly with some key members of the ACN who believe it might bring to them the same disaster that befell its predecessor, the Alliance for Democracy, several years ago when it decided to work with the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).  The PDP went on to take over the southwestern states. 

SaharaReporters has learned that as the talks between the parties have lurched on inconclusively, several interested parties that retired to the home of former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar in the Wuse II area of Abuja to explore ways of rescuing the situation also failed to reach a deal.  Some of those parties, our sources say, include key Northern leaders such as former military president, Ibrahim Bademasi Babangida; former National Security Adviser  Aliyu Ismaila Gwarzo, , Abubakar Atiku disaffected members of the PDP who believe Buhari is suitably equipped to hold the country together. Also present are , ACN secretary Shuaibu, governors of Osun and Ekiti states; Kayode Fayemi and Rauf Aregbesola as well as Ribadu and Buhari

An analyst said that such manoevres are not uncommon in an election of this nature.  Last Saturday, Goodluck Jonathan was in Lagos to meet with Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, an ACN chieftain, as he seeks a way to scuttle cooperation between the ACN and CPC.

As of the time of filing this report, the ACN  has instructed all its officials to debunk earlier insinuations that it had agreed for its  candidate to stepdown for Buhari during Saturday’s presidential election.

The party told its adherents that ACN did better than the CPC across Nigeria and as such could not agree to play a second fiddle to the CPC in view of CPC’s woeful performance last weekend.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/ribadu-remains-presidential-race-alliance-talks-between-acn-and-cpc-have-broken-down
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by sbeezy8: 3:52am On Apr 13, 2011
Makes more sense why would play second anything
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by Odunnu: 4:06am On Apr 13, 2011
Noted,howbeit with a pinch of salt.
I dont take SR newss 100%
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by ektbear: 4:11am On Apr 13, 2011
I'm fine with any decision that the excellent leadership of my beloved party takes. I know they'll put a lot of thought into it and not act selfishly or foolishly.

Ride on, ACN!
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by Nobody: 4:13am On Apr 13, 2011
Nigerian politics / newspapers= re-tarded.

Tired of fake news up and down the block.
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by EkoIle1: 4:32am On Apr 13, 2011
Either way, ACN wins,

Losers = Ibo/East.
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by EzeUche(m): 4:36am On Apr 13, 2011
Eko Ile:

Either way, ACN wins,

Losers = Ibo/East.

Igbos having the last laugh. Our region is being developed while you people fighting over crumbs.

Onward we march. cool
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by real4life: 6:17am On Apr 13, 2011
Apparently, Ribadu agreed to step down for Buhari, but Bakare refused to step down for ACN candidate. sad

Our hope now is that Jonathan and Tinubu also fail to reach a deal, then maybe there'll be a runoff.
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by ektbear: 6:28am On Apr 13, 2011
real4life:

Apparently, Ribadu agreed to step down for Buhari, but Bakare refused to step down for ACN candidate. sad

Our hope now is that Jonathan and Tinubu also fail to reach a deal, then maybe there'll be a runoff.

Are you serious? Man, let me not say bad things about a Pastor lipsrsealed
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 13, 2011
^^ abeg bakare should not step down that is if it is in his power to refuse. He should not allow them to use and dump him BB will now turn to B?
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by efisher(m): 10:08am On Apr 13, 2011
Bakare has been reduced to a commodity traded on the floor of the political market. Smh
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by enyojo(f): 10:18am On Apr 13, 2011
RIBADU- SO HELPLESS AND HOPELESS IN ALL THESE TALKS. HE HAS NO SAY NOT TO TALK OF ADEOLA. I PITY THEM.
TINUBU, PLEASE LOWER YOUR DEMANDS. BUHARI CANNOT SACRIFICE HIS VICE ON THE NEGOTIATION TABLE. ACN WILL BE BETTER OF IN CPC THAN IN PDP. REMEMBER THAT OBJ STILL REMAINS THEIR BOT CHAIR DESPITE THE CALAMITY THAT BEFELL HIS DAUGHTER.
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by Pukkah: 10:36am On Apr 13, 2011
It is not in the interest of ACN to go into an alliance whereby CPC flies the flag.  The governorship elections come after the Presidential and ACN should not take any risk to confuse its supporters because it wants to gamble the presidential elections through a shaky alliance. It is also too late for CPC to go into an alliance which sees Buhari as stepping down.

I think the best thing is for CPC and ACN to intensify campaigns in their respective strong-holds with a view to ensuring that PDP gets as little votes as possible. A vote for either ACN or CPC is a vote that PDP does not get. By any stretch of luck, they might be able to force a run-off or a second ballot if Jonathan fails to meet the condition of a minimum of 25% of the votes cast in at least 2/3rd of the states. It is only then, by which time the gubernatorial elections would have been held, that ACN (if it emerges number 3) should decide to support either PDP or CPC for the run-off. Similarly, it is only then too that CPC (if it emerges number 3) should decide whether to back ACN or PDP.

However, I still expect PDP to score the highest number of votes across the country in the first ballot but the only plausible option that I see for the opposition is to assiduously work on getting into a second ballot. Without this, I sincerely doubt if they can pull any upset against PDP. With this, they might be able to fry and eat PDP.
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by rasputinn(m): 10:37am On Apr 13, 2011
[size=24pt]VOTE GOODLUCK JONATHAN FOR PRESIDENT[/size]
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by nduchucks: 10:50am On Apr 13, 2011
Private sources told me that the deal fell through because of who to choose as the VP. Bakare was supposed to resign at some point, possibly after next Saturday, and allow the ACN to nominate a VP.  Buhari adamantly insisted that ACN must agree that Tinubu cannot be this VP.

The failure of the talks is partially due to the fact that Buhari is a very principled man as we all know, and the personal ambition of Tinubu position himself to become the preident in 2015. I believe what my source told me, I'm sure we'll see other spins shortly.

If by 2pm today, a deal is not announced, then I may once again have to offer my Congratulations to president GEJ in advance.  cry
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by recoome(m): 10:58am On Apr 13, 2011
why was oshiomhole absent, oshiomhole will vote 4 GEJ.
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by Lagosboy: 11:09am On Apr 13, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Private sources told me that the deal fell through because of who to choose as the VP. Bakare was supposed to resign at some point, possibly after next Saturday, and allow the ACN to nominate a VP. Buhari adamantly insisted that ACN must agree that Tinubu cannot be this VP. The failure of the talks is partially due to the fact that Buhari is a very principled man as we all know, and the personal ambition of Tinubu position himself to become the preident in 2015. I believe what my source told me, I'm sure we'll see other spins shortly.

If by 2pm today, a deal is not announced, then I may once again have to offer my Congratulations to president GEJ in advance. cry

This is the main problemm , Tinubu has his eyes set on the presidency and i sincerly believe he will run in 2015, if a northerner emerges as president. That is why he wants to support Buhari and be his VP. Buhari does not want Tinubu as his vice for obvious reasons and he is not desperate to be president witha Tinubu VP.

I believe this story 100% and it is a shame folks in ACN cannot stand up to Tinubu especially the old man Bisi Akande who hates Buhari
Re: Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails by efisher(m): 11:19am On Apr 13, 2011
They shall come in one way and flee in 7 ways. While men slept, they were plotting the destruction of our Goodluck. They have failed!
I laugh in sharia! grin tongue grin tongue

(1) (Reply)

Ribadu; They Ve Destroyed My Candidature / Man Killed In Kano For Voting Gej / Do You Think Tinubu Sold Out SouthWest Votes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.