Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? (1985 Views)

Nigerian Fuel Attendants Try To Locate The Fuel Tank Of A Tesla Car: Video / Do We Have Any Tesla Users Here Or Have You Ever Seen A Tesla Car In Naija? / Does Buying A Car Directly From Tin Can Guarantee A Better Deal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Mar 11, 2021
A cousin in Canada has just bought a Tesla and he's insistent on how awesome it is, suggesting that whoever drives one will never look back. But considering the fact that there are no Tesla service stations in Nigeria at the moment, would it be convenient to import and drive one or is it just an expensive headache? Has anyone tried using it for normal commuting in Nigeria? Most of his rave review concerns their after sales service, which I believe is non existent here. Auto experts please advise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by budaatum: 6:01pm On Mar 11, 2021
I'm sure a roadside mechanic can open the hood and stare at the engine, but I very much doubt you'd want him to touch it with a screwdriver.

And won't you need to charge the ev somehow? But I guess you can run solar for that as its not as if the sun does not shine in Nigeria .

Hey! Try it. Someone has to, so the rest of us can learn from your experience.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 11, 2021
budaatum:
I'm sure a roadside mechanic can open the hood and stare at the engine, but I very much doubt you'd want him to touch it with a screwdriver.

And won't you need to charge the ev somehow? But I guess you can run solar for that as its not as if the sun does not shine in Nigeria .

No way am I risking money on being a first user. When there are rich bloggers and celebrities around, or maybe someone with a Bobrisky tattoo that got millions sent to his account.

But seriously, I think this requires much thought before attempting. Charging is no problem, but as you pointed out, maintenance and parts are. I don't know how much shaking and banging in potholes a Tesla is built to take. Also someone said that used Teslas are not advisable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by nymphomaniac(m): 9:55pm On Mar 11, 2021
I think there are one or two Nigerians that own a Tesla here in Nigeria. Mummy Radautoworks can confirm.

3 Likes

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by jacobjamie(m): 11:10pm On Mar 11, 2021
There are 2 guys that owns a Tesla here in Abuja and one I was told owns one in Lagos, and I know with time we start to see them all over our street from next year cuzz it's not that so expensive for some big boys compare to the Lambo and Ferrari that guys own and drive in Abuja alot..
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by radautoworks: 11:13pm On Mar 11, 2021
nymphomaniac:
I think there are one or two Nigerians that own a Tesla here in Nigeria. Mummy Radautoworks can confirm.
yup
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 6:07am On Mar 12, 2021
jacobjamie:
There are 2 guys that owns a Tesla here in Abuja and one I was told owns one in Lagos, and I know with time we start to see them all over our street from next year cuzz it's not that so expensive for some big boys compare to the Lambo and Ferrari that guys own and drive in Abuja alot..

It's not really expensive; and used ones are already available for sale in many countries; it's just that we are still in the dark about its maintenance and other requirements in Nigeria. That's what I'm hoping to find out.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 10:48am On Mar 12, 2021
nymphomaniac:

Those 1 or 2 no get sense.. The things that will make Telsa fully functional in developed countries like charging port on highways .. Charging ports like fuel station .. Na naija with no stable light or electricity .... And u need special skills mechanics to fix these cars .... It is well sha

3 Likes

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 10:54am On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

No way am I risking money on being a first user. When there are rich bloggers and celebrities around, or maybe someone with a Bobrisky tattoo that got millions sent to his account.

But seriously, I think this requires much thought before attempting. Charging is no problem, but as you pointed out, maintenance and parts are. I don't know how much shaking and banging in potholes a Tesla is built to take. Also someone said that used Teslas are not advisable.

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 10:56am On Mar 12, 2021
budaatum:

And won't you need to charge the ev somehow? But I guess you can run solar for that as its not as if the sun does not shine in Nigeria

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 10:59am On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:
A cousin in Canada has just bought a Tesla and he's insistent on how awesome it is, suggesting that whoever drives one will never look back. But considering the fact that there are no Tesla service stations in Nigeria at the moment, would it be convenient to import and drive one or is it just an expensive headache? Has anyone tried using it for normal commuting in Nigeria? Most of his rave review concerns their after sales service, which I believe is non existent here. Auto experts please advise.

Tell ur cousin to test drive the Telsa in Nigeria for 6 months.. He can use it as a case study for the rest of us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by radautoworks: 11:52am On Mar 12, 2021
dru23:

Those 1 or 2 no get sense.. The things that will make Telsa fully functional in developed countries like charging port on highways .. Charging ports like fuel station .. Na naija with no stable light or electricity .... And u need special skills mechanics to fix these cars .... It is well sha

One of them is my mother's brother... And he has two
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2021
dru23:

Tell ur cousin to test drive the Telsa in Nigeria for 6 months.. He can use it as a case study for the rest of us

He hasn't been to Nigeria in over a decade. He's just suffering himself as far as I'm concerned. The Oha soup with goat meat that I ate in one Calabar kitchen like that yesterday, eh. It's worth a whole year's stay in Canada as far as I'm concerned.

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 12, 2021
Lack of spare parts in this part of the world. 2. just buy a generator and keep it in the boot incase light finish for roadgrin

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 12, 2021
radautoworks:

Finally, an expert opinion. What city does he live in, and what is his review about driving them around town? And does he use them for daily commute? Has he had cause to take them in for any repairs and what was his mechanic experience like?
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2021
radautoworks:

Goodluck to all of them own Telsa in Nigeria......... I pity no one once it breaks down..... Correct me if am wrong. If Telsa has issue aren't u supposed to take it to Telsa service center only.......
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 1:12pm On Mar 12, 2021
cchub:
Lack of spare parts in this part of the world.
2. just buy a generator and keep it in the boot incase light finish for roadgrin

I was about to say the samething ...u beat me to it

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by radautoworks: 2:01pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Finally, an expert opinion. What city does he live in, and what is his review about driving them around town? And does he use them for daily commute? Has he had cause to take them in for any repairs and what was his mechanic experience like?
Lagos. He's a little different because he's an engineer. Had one for a couple of years then got a wrecked one and fixed it himself here so I'm assuming maintenance wasn't a problem. Anything he can't handle we would deal with. I posted the videos on NL and our youtube channel.

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 12, 2021
radautoworks:
Lagos. He's a little different because he's an engineer. Had one for a couple of years then got a wrecked one and fixed it himself here so I'm assuming maintenance wasn't a problem. Anything he can't handle we would deal with. I posted the videos on NL and our youtube channel.

Thank you. So what is your advise for a non engineer seeking to get one on Nigeria? Go ahead or wait a while? It's the ease of driving and comfort I'm most impressed with as he describes it.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by radautoworks: 2:17pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Thank you. So what is your advise for a non engineer seeking to get one on Nigeria? Go ahead or wait a while? It's the ease of driving and comfort I'm most impressed with as he describes it.
if you are in Lagos we can handle maintainace. As far as daily charging you would have to figure out what works for you. If you ever do get one I can put you in touch with my Uncle.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Mar 12, 2021
radautoworks:
if you are in Lagos we can handle maintainace. As far as daily charging you would have to figure out what works for you. If you ever do get one I can put you in touch with my Uncle.

Does your autocare shop have a website I can access or a contact? May come in handy even if I don't eventually get a Tesla.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by radautoworks: 2:27pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Does your autocare shop have a website I can access or a contact? May come in handy even if I don't eventually get a Tesla.

It's in my signature smiley

And if you want to know more about us..

https://www.nairaland.com/4501821/milex-carquest-2nd-largest-usa

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 12, 2021
radautoworks:

It's in my signature smiley

And if you want to know more about us..

https://www.nairaland.com/4501821/milex-carquest-2nd-largest-usa

Great. You even sell parts in house.

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by radautoworks: 2:37pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Great. You even sell parts in house.
yup. We don't do third party or Ladipo parts. We are direct with manufacturers and the 29th distribution center for Advance/Carquest auto parts USA.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by budaatum: 2:54pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

He hasn't been to Nigeria in over a decade. He's just suffering himself as far as I'm concerned. The Oha soup with goat meat that I ate in one Calabar kitchen like that yesterday, eh. It's worth a whole year's stay in Canada as far as I'm concerned.

Lol!

Tell him from buda that before he brings Tesla to Nigeria to come and test, he should first bring himself to Nigeria to come and test if there is service stations in Nigeria at the moment for himself to survive, and if it would be convenient to import him or will he just have expensive headaches!

Those who have tried it will gladly inform him that he needs three Canadian livers to survive in Nigeria after being abroad for so long.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 12, 2021
budaatum:

Lol!

Tell him from buda that before he brings Tesla to Nigeria to come and test, he should first bring himself to Nigeria to come and test if there is service stations in Nigeria at the moment for himself to survive, and if it would be convenient to import him or will he just have expensive headaches!

Those who have tried it will gladly inform him that he needs three Canadian livers to survive in Nigeria after being abroad for so long.

He doesn't want to come or to test. He just keeps giving me updates about his Tesla and trying to convince me to send him money to buy one and ship it to me. I just half heartedly wanted to find out if there's any real advantage in changing my current vehicle (which still has many miles on it), or whether I'll just be buying a big problem with the Tesla...not even a new one.
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by budaatum: 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

He doesn't want to come or to test. He just keeps giving me updates about his Tesla and trying to convince me to send him money to buy one and ship it to me. I just half heartedly wanted to find out if there's any real advantage in changing my current vehicle (which still has many miles on it), or whether I'll just be buying a big problem with the Tesla...not even a new one.

We abroad people can be silly sometimes. See as him make Tesla the solution to whatever problems he thinks might be confronting you instead of asking you what you confront. Its like offering to rent you a palace when you only need a 3 bedroom flat, as if he's prepared to pay for its maintenance.

I so love the old cars with simple combustion engines. If it breaks down on the road simple mecho can put screwdriver and I'd be on my way, instead of those new vehicles that require diagnosing with a computer that nobody has. When I enter danfo in Lagos, my people will be like "how could you", without realising the joy of abandoning danfo and walking when holdup catch them in their car that they can not abandon.

I guess time is more valuable to me than the minor discomfort of sitting next to smelly people in a danfo. Or perhaps I just understand that I might smell too.

Dude, you get sense. Tell your brother that if him like Tesla so much, you will pay him on delivery.

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 12, 2021
budaatum:

We abroad people can be silly sometimes. See as him make Tesla the solution to whatever problems he thinks might be confronting you instead of asking you what you confront. Its like offering to rent you a palace when you only need a 3 bedroom flat, as if he's prepared to pay for its maintenance.

I so love the old cars with simple combustion engines. If it breaks down on the road simple mecho can put screwdriver and I'd be on my way, instead of those new vehicles that require diagnosing with a computer that nobody has. When I enter danfo in Lagos, my people will be like "how could you", without realising the joy of abandoning danfo and walking when holdup catch them in their car that they can not abandon.

I guess time is more valuable to me than the minor discomfort of sitting next to smelly people in a danfo. Or perhaps I just understand that I might smell too.

Dude, you get sense. Tell your brother that if him like Tesla so much, you will pay him on delivery.

Now hold on. I didn't go so far as to say that. He's my cousin, we are friends. I don't have any overriding problems to share with him and neither does he have problems to share with me. I share pics of my delicious plate of pounded yam with oha soup and goat meat and he shares pics of his new soundless Tesla. It is family based banter on our family WhatsApp group. In fact, he's the one that helped me ship the vehicle I'm using now, so I guess his sharing the new car suggestion has a basis in the past.

Yes. I agree with your danfo sentiment. I do that a lot myself, I prefer okada actually. I don't see the point driving all over the place when it will take up so much time. But I still am not beyond enjoying comfort on the occasions when I do take my car out.

Lol. Our money transactions together are very flexible. There is no issue there. If I do decide to buy, he won't stress a payment schedule and I won't cheat him. We are too close for that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by budaatum: 5:13pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Now hold on. I didn't go so far as to say that. He's my cousin, we are friends. I don't have any overriding problems to share with him and neither does he have problems to share with me. I share pics of my delicious plate of pounded yam with oha soup and goat meat and he shares pics of his new soundless Tesla. It is family based banter on our family WhatsApp group. In fact, he's the one that helped me ship the vehicle I'm using now, so I guess his sharing the new car suggestion has a basis in the past.

Yes. I agree with your danfo sentiment. I do that a lot myself, I prefer okada actually. I don't see the point driving all over the place when it will take up so much time. But I still am not beyond enjoying comfort on the occasions when I do take my car out.

Lol. Our money transactions together are very flexible. There is no issue there. If I do decide to buy, he won't stress a payment schedule and I won't cheat him. We are too close for that.

I'm bantering too. I'm certain the person wishes no harm, nor do I.

1 Like

Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by nymphomaniac(m): 4:49pm On Mar 13, 2021
dru23:

the owners are mechanics mostly cheesy cheesy
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by dru23(m): 6:38pm On Mar 13, 2021
nymphomaniac:
the owners are mechanics mostly cheesy cheesy

So the owners are Telsa mechanics abi grin. Are u aware that once a Telsa car breaks down u have to either take it to Telsa service center or take it to approve Telsa approved mechanics grin... U think it easy like that to fix Telsa cars....... grin. Either way each to his/her own
Re: Does Buying A Tesla Car For Use In Nigeria Make Sense? by gnykelly(m): 9:55pm On Mar 13, 2021
iPhone don't have an official office for support in Nigeria. the maintenance would be out of the world

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2007 Lexus Is250. On 19 inch rims. Full Option 3.4m / Registered But Not Used Corolla 2007. Super Clean In And Out. / Super Clean Toyota Four Runner In Perfect Condition 1.780k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.