Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan (660 Views)

2023: I’m Most Experienced To Tackle Nation’s Myriad Problems — Osinbajo / Ndume: I Criticised Jonathan But We Don’t Value What We Have Until We Lose It / Man Who Criticised Goodluck Jonathan In 2015 Visits Him,begs Him For Forgiveness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by ogododo: 10:44am On Mar 12, 2021
ABUJA—President Goodluck Jonathan said he would prove critics of his administration wrong by 2013, when the dividends of new policies introduced begin to manifest.

Jonathan said this while declaring open the 52nd Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) in Abuja. He said he was the most criticised President in the world at the moment because his critics failed to understand that the country’s current challenges predated his administration.

He assured that his critics would have cause to praise him at the end of the life of his administration, when his Transformation Agenda would have yielded the expected dividends.

“I think I am the most criticised president in the whole world, but I tell this noble audience that before I leave, I will also be the most praised president.

“I have experienced that before in my governorship journey in Bayelsa State. In fact, people who were close to me will tell you that even after the election, I told them that in my first 12 months please cover your ears because you will hear all kinds of things. But as we progress, you will see (changes).

“We are working very hard to stabilise power. We are working very hard to resurface our roads. We have security challenges, which we are also working very hard to bring to reasonable control. It is not easy; we don’t have the magic wand, except the miracle worker who with the wave of the hand, probably will help to throw all these challenges away and prosperity will appear. But in pure governance issues, it takes time.

“Sometimes, even people who have held offices in government criticise me to the extent of personal abuses. Sometimes I ask, were there roads across the country and Jonathan brought flood to wipe out these roads? Or we had power and I brought hurricane to break down the entire infrastructure?

“If they say Boko Haram is because of poverty; were there massive irrigation projects in the North where agriculture can thrive and massive farms, and Jonathan brought drought to wipe out these farms? Under two years, is it possible?

“Well, time will tell. What I can tell Nigerians is that let those who criticise continue to criticise.

“We will do our best and as we progress, Nigerians will know the truth and we’ll see that we are committed and will surely transform this country,” he said.

Jonathan said his administration considered the NBA as a partner in progress and commended the association for choosing a topical theme for the conference. The theme, “Nigeria as an Emerging Market: Redefining our Laws and Politics for Growth”, according to him, was in line with the public-private-partnership-oriented policy of his administration.

He urged the association to review its rules of engagement, which he said, barred its officers from directly getting involved in day-to-day governance either in an advisory or participatory capacity. He disclosed that he had appointed the outgoing President of the NBA, Joseph Daudu (SAN), as Honorary Legal Adviser, but he (Daudu) declined the offer based on the rules of engagement of the association.

Jonathan said he was still willing to appoint the incoming President of the association to the position if the rule could be reviewed.

The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Mohammed Adoke (SAN), in his goodwill message, said the theme of the conference took cognisance of the synergy between economy, law, government and the private sector. Adoke noted that the position of Nigeria as an emerging market in the globe was not in doubt but there was the need to review the country’s business laws to attract investments. He said his office had taken various initiatives toward making relevant laws that would make Nigeria the favourite investment destination for investors.

Guest speaker at the conference, Very Rev Matthew Kukah, berated the media for portraying Nigeria in bad light using negative reportage, which he said, could discourage investors.

Kukah, a Catholic Bishop, in a speech titled “Nigeria, an Emerging Democracy”, agreed with former CBN Governor, Chukwuma Soludo, that Nigeria was an economic miracle waiting to happen.

He said for the national miracle to happen, the political class needed to be creative by initiating programmes that would win the trust and commitment of the followership.

Kukah also admonished the followership to believe in the country and endeavour to contribute their quota toward the development of the country. He proposed creative instruction and courage by the government and the governed to decide whether they needed a new constitution to forge ahead, or a review of the existing one.

The priest also agreed with Daudu’s position on the need to decentralise the power of the office of the President for peace, security and development of the country.

NOTE: This story was first published 28th August 2012

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/03/im-most-criticised-president-in-the-world-jonathan/amp/

1 Like

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by InfernoNig: 10:48am On Mar 12, 2021
He is a Noble man. He did well in his capacity, only that evil will always overshadow the good whenever men thrive for personal interest.

3 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by Kondomatic(m): 10:57am On Mar 12, 2021
I think whoever coined the phrase "you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it" had Jonathan in mind.

5 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by dollytino4real(f): 10:59am On Mar 12, 2021
Jona dey learn compare to bubu own!

3 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by marveangel(m): 11:08am On Mar 12, 2021
Probably the most diplomatic president we've ever head. But he was no Saint none of them are but he actually cared and considered Nigerians humans worth protecting unlike what we have now.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by pedrilo: 11:12am On Mar 12, 2021
I have no pity for Nigerians - GEJ

1 Like

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by Jesse6(m): 11:26am On Mar 12, 2021
Omo no lies
We have learned our mistakes

3 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by ogododo: 12:23pm On Mar 12, 2021
Jesse6:
Omo no lies
We have learned our mistakes

We neva learn ooo.

3 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by Jesse6(m): 12:30pm On Mar 12, 2021
guy we have
ogododo:

We neva learn ooo.

1 Like

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by theTranslator: 12:35pm On Mar 12, 2021
dollytino4real:
Jona dey learn compare to bubu own!
You say wetin?
bubu's own no reach half Jona own!
To the extent that his wife cried on TV!
I really pitied her

1 Like

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by slivertongue: 12:38pm On Mar 12, 2021
abeg the disaster in power should just return Nigeria to where he met it in 2015

1 Like

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by ogododo: 2:40pm On Mar 12, 2021
slivertongue:
abeg the disaster in power should just return Nigeria to where he met it in 2015

Dem.no fit again, water don pass garri.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by dollytino4real(f): 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2021
theTranslator:
You say wetin? bubu's own no reach half Jona own! To the extent that his wife cried on TV! I really pitied her
really

1 Like

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by ObiOfOnistha: 7:19pm On Mar 12, 2021
theTranslator:

You say wetin?
bubu's own no reach half Jona own!
To the extent that his wife cried on TV!
I really pitied her
Where is the wife of Buhari? she ran away when things are getting messier and criticize was much than she can bear
Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by ogododo: 10:41pm On Apr 28, 2021
No be lie.
Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by JonDon12: 10:45pm On Apr 28, 2021
Jonathan was a real president. He had challenges but he governed democratically. Buhari is just an uneducated paranoid thug. Absolute failure, The name Buhari will forever be associated with Failure.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback Friday: I’m Most Criticised President In The World — Goodluck Jonathan by ogododo: 12:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
JonDon12:
Jonathan was a real president. He had challenges but he governed democratically. Buhari is just an uneducated paranoid thug. Absolute failure, The name Buhari will forever be associated with Failure.
Dem go tag you IPOB.

(1) (Reply)

English Translation Of Boko Haram Pamphlets That Was Shared In Geidam / JUST IN!!! Biafra: Igbos In The American Military Services Write To The Departme / Igbo Culture: See How Oyibo Celebrated Igbo Culture In America.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.