Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Solskjaer Issues Challenge To David De Gea, Dean Henderson Over Number One Spot - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Solskjaer Issues Challenge To David De Gea, Dean Henderson Over Number One Spot (161 Views)

Super Falcons Move Up One Spot In Latest FIFA Ranking / Drogba Lucky Not To Face Him' - Henderson Defends Van Dijk Over Ballack Claim / David De Gea Becomes The 1st Goalkeeper To Make The Least Saves At The World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Solskjaer Issues Challenge To David De Gea, Dean Henderson Over Number One Spot by NaijaBetInfo(m): 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2021
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has called on David de Gea and Dean Henderson to battle it out for the number one jersey at Old Trafford.

After first-choice keeper De Gea was granted time off following the birth of his child, Henderson has deputised well in between the sticks, keeping back-to-back Premier League clean sheets against Manchester City and Crystal Palace.

However, with De Gea's return now imminent, Solskjaer is excited to witness the "great challenge" that is about to take place for the number one spot between the 30-year-old Spaniard and 24-year-old Englishman.

Speaking to reporters at a press conference: "There is no such thing as an undisputed No 1 here. I'm not blind. I have seen the media in the last couple of weeks, with people writing David off.

"That is completely wrong. David is a top, top goalkeeper. He was allowed to go home for the birth of his first kid and Dean has come in and performed really well.

"You know, David has been here for 10 years and he has been absolutely brilliant for us. He has pulled off save after save, season after season, at the highest level. Dean is learning. Dean is getting better and better, he's improving.

"I'd rather have three very good goalkeepers rather than none – and I am in the very fortunate position that I have got two really top ones.

"It's a great position for me to be in and it's a great challenge for the two of them. They know they have to perform. They have to train well, give to the team and whichever one isn't playing has to support the other one from the bench. It's a good dynamic."

Due to quarantine regulations, De Gea is unlikely to be cleared to play against West Ham United on Sunday, so Henderson will have one final chance to prove his worth before his fellow shot-stopper returns.

(1) (Reply)

Today's Serie A Games / Goaloong. Net / Chelsea End Man City's Quadruple Hopes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.