Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,548 members, 7,958,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:42 PM

Basketball Corner - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Basketball Corner (1014 Views)

Home of Corner Handicaps Project & Picks / Photos From DSTV Basketball Throwdown Event / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basketball Corner by enomakos(m): 4:23pm On Apr 13, 2011
top 10 basketball coaches in europe.

Zeljko Obradovic,
Dusan Ivkovic,
Svetislav Pesic,
Dusko Vujosevic,
Dusko Ivanovic,

David Blatt,
Ettore Messina,
Pini Gershon,
Simone Pianigiani
Re: Basketball Corner by enomakos(m): 4:27pm On Apr 13, 2011
Afrobasket 2011

ZONE I: MAROC, TUNISIA
ZONE II : SENEGAL, MALI
ZONE III : NIGERIA, TOGO, COTE D’IVOIRE
ZONE IV : CENTRAFRIQUE, TCHAD
ZONE V: RWANDA, KENYA
ZONE VI: MOZAMBIQUE, SOUTH AFRICA
ZONE VII: ?? Madagascar, Maurice, Comores, Djibouti and Seychelles,

Champs: Angola

Not Qualified: Cape Verde,DR of Congo, Congo-Brazzaville, Libya and Algeria
Re: Basketball Corner by enomakos(m): 4:29pm On Apr 13, 2011
this year african champ will be interesting angola got there point guard back Armando Costa. angola has the best national team in africa but i think they can use a center with gomes. there are also some national teams on the rise in africa. i think nigeria will be good, and ivory coast, tunisa, egypt is not bad they are well coached. it will be interesting, small countrys like togo is building around there new young leader jimmy williams for the future whos 24 years old. i cant wait to go watch it will be very interesting and fun to watch. i just hope they let 2 or 3 teams qulifiy for the olimpics.

africa basketball is rising
Re: Basketball Corner by enomakos(m): 4:30pm On May 06, 2011
DStv PBL: Union Bank upstage Comets 71-63 (16-24, 19-09, 10-17, 26-13)

Union Bank basketball club at the weekend defeated one-time champion of the Nigeria league Comets basketball club in a local derby at the sports hall of the national stadium, Lagos by 71-63 points.

The week-13 Atlantic conference pairing of the DStv Premier Basketball League kept fans at the edge of their seat throughout the forty minutes duration of the game as both sides gave a good of account of themselves with Union Bank basketball club going down by 16-24 points in the first quarter but rose to the occasion in the second quarter taking the quarter by 19-09 point to go into the break with a 35-33 points advantage.

The Stallion boys as the bankers are also referred to was pushed back into their territory in the third quarter with Comets catching in on the frequent turn-over by Union Bank BC a situation which made the team head coach, Ayinla Johnson to be on his feet for the entire duration of the quarter which they lost by 10-17 points for a five points decifit entering the last quarter.

With defeat staring Union Bank BC in the face the bench and the players rally round each other to upstage Coach Ayo Bakare and his Comets side in the last quarter with so much determination and team-work running away with a 26-13 points to carry the day by 71-63 points.

With Saturday victory Union Bank thus possess the best record in the Atlantic conference 12-1 as their closest rival Royal Hoopers basketball club of Port Harcourt has a 11-2 record after seeing off Islanders basketball club of Lagos by 83-43 points at the Civic Centre, Port Harcourt on Sunday while third placed Comets is now 8-5 enough to guarantee them a place in the final-8 playoffs cut leaving the fourth slot in the Atlantic conference to either Dodan Warriors basketball club or Islanders basketball club
Re: Basketball Corner by enomakos(m): 4:59pm On May 06, 2011
My heart remains with basketball Buba

Da Gyang Buba served as the President of the Nigeria Basketball Federation from 2001 to 2009. The former Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs Service says that even on the throne in Jos, his heart remains on the court where the jams are made Da Gyang Buba, the man whose tenure as the President of Nigeria Basketball Federation gave the game in the country the Vmobile League, says that out of sight would not mean out of mind as far as the game of basketball is concerned. Buba, who is now the Gbong Gwom Jos says his heart remains with the game.

I served my time in basketball and I am no longer directly involved with the administration of the game in Nigeria. It is a game I love; obviously Ill always have a passion for the game wherever I am, he said.

Buba assumed leadership of the NBBF at a period the game was facing tough times as the first sponsors of the flagship competition, Seven-Up were not renewing their deal with the federation. After a season of wait and gloom, the game bounced back strongly with the Vmobile Challenge.

But it was not only good for the men. Indeed it was the ladies who smiled first as the Zenith Bank Women League began just ahead of the mens league. The women had played for some years without corporate sponsorship. But before Nigeria basketball could really enjoy the fanfare created by the Vmobile League, Zain bought over Vmobile and the Zain interest was far from sports. The withdrawal of Vmobile marked another dip for the league until DStv sponsorship came by just as Buba was leaving office as the NBBF president.

He prays that Nigeria basketball gets to the level that becomes the envy of all other countries around.

Some other persons are administering the game in Nigeria today. Its my prayer that they will be able to pull up the reigns and do far better than what they inherited. I am still very much interested in what goes on in basketball except that I am not directly involved now. The game will always get my blessing.

Away from his busy schedule on the stool, the former Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs does not take the jump ball but has found other ways to keep his body fit.

There was an attempt to lure me into golf but I was able to get out of it; somehow I didnt connect. But to keep fit, I simply use the gym. I have a small gym which I use between my busy schedules. There was a time I dabbled into tennis but I simply quit
Re: Basketball Corner by maverick2(m): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2011
Do you know when the Nigerian Basketball league season is starting.

And is there any site where someone can follow their stats? undecided

(1) (Reply)

The first ever Indoor Golf Facility in Nigeria Coming In January 2012 / El-classico / INDIA 99-1 NIGERIA: How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.