Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,386 members, 7,819,394 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick (26771 Views)

Ranking Every Nigerian Who Chose To Play For England's Three Lions / Kelechi Iheanacho Scores His First Premier League Hat Trick / Raheem Sterling Scores First Champions League Hat-trick In 11 Minutes (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by robosky02(m): 11:34am On Mar 18, 2021
Which Super Eagles hitmen have found the net three times in a single top flight game?

Few African nations—if any—have as strong a legacy in the Premier League as Nigeria, with greats such as Joseph Yobo, Jay-Jay Okocha and Finidi George all having tasted life in the top flight.

However, which of Nigeria’s top stars have achieved the laudable feat of having scored a hat-trick in the Premier League?

In this feature, Goal’s Ed Dove celebrates the quintet of Super Eagles frontmen to have scored three goals in a Prem fixture.

5. Kelechi Iheanacho

Iheanacho became the latest Nigerian to score a Prem hat-trick this weekend when he netted three times for Leicester City in their 5-0 rout of Sheffield United.

It was a truly emphatic display by the striker, who finally begun to answer some of the critics who have doubted his ability to either replace Jamie Vardy or prove he can be the long-term answer for the Foxes.

He must maintain his recent form throughout the course of a season, but seven goals in eight games—including Sunday’s outstanding display—was an excellent return.

4. Efan Ekoku

Nigeria’s first goalscorer in the Prem, Ekoku scored four goals—including a hat-trick—in a 5-1 victory for Wimbledon against Everton.

It was one of the attacker’s most outstanding performances in the top flight, and for the Dons, with whom he amassed 123 league appearances across five seasons in the Prem.

Despite scoring 37 league goals for Wimbledon, Ekoku never netted in his brief Super Eagles career.

3. Peter Odemwingie

Odemwingie was, for a time, beloved by West Bromwich Albion fans, and his hat-trick against their Black Country rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers certainly helped.

That treble, which came in a 5-1 victory in 2012, was one of his finest moments in the top flight, with the attacker also enjoying stints with Cardiff City and Stoke City.

He struggled to replicate his Baggies scoring form with the Super Eagles, scoring just 10 in 63 outings for the national team.

2. Yakubu

With a whopping four Premier League hat-tricks under his belt, Yakubu holds the record as the African player with the most top flight trebles in the league’s history.

He doesn’t truly get the credit he deserves for his sensational goalscoring form in the top flight, and indeed, only 13 players have scored more hat-tricks than the Yak.

The forward netted his last treble in December 2011, while with Blackburn Rovers, having previously represented Everton, Middlesbrough and Portsmouth.

1. Nwankwo Kanu

He may not have as many hat-tricks as Yakubu, but no one can deny that Kanu is the greatest of Nigeria’s five Premier League hat-trick scorers.

Kanu is also responsible for Africa’s greatest treble in the top flight, having scored three in the space of an astonishing 15 minutes against Chelsea during the 1999-2000 season.

In that match, he transformed a 2-0 lead for the Blues into a 3-2 victory for Arsenal, and it remains perhaps the greatest single performance of his club career.

www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/ranking-every-nigerian-who-scored-a-premier-league-hat-trick/7xw8zf0n27i8185umf5thn4sv#13yl7trg8eqas1pjp63djd9r6j

19 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by addexx: 12:08pm On Mar 18, 2021
Waiting for iwobi hatrick

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by slawormiir: 12:24pm On Mar 18, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright .....

Spending123:
This is not our problem for now, let's finish with Fuel and electricity hike in the country first.
Ogbeni..leave Nigeria problem....apart from say Nigeria really get problem......normally problem nor dey finish for life
So at times lets put a smile on our face and have fun

femi4:
Ojoro

Yakubu should be no1, Kanu had just one

Yakubu had a whopping four Premier League hat-tricks under his belt,
Maybe that tap in way he throw way for that world cup still dey vex bros op

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Spending123: 12:24pm On Mar 18, 2021
This is not our problem for now, let's finish with Fuel and electricity hike in the country first.

8 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Igbankpa(m): 12:25pm On Mar 18, 2021
I still never forgive yakubu. if you know you know.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Legalcriminal: 12:25pm On Mar 18, 2021
Just 4 hat tricks since 1960
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by femi4: 12:26pm On Mar 18, 2021
Ojoro

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by yinkuscious(m): 12:26pm On Mar 18, 2021
Papilo all the way!

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by joshjc(m): 12:27pm On Mar 18, 2021
Nice one from them, guys today is my birthday,I bless the most high jah for keeping me alive, happy birthday to me

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Princealoba(m): 12:28pm On Mar 18, 2021
It is unfair not to have Ayegbeni on the number one spot...

Kanu is a great player but this is about hat trick and Yak deserves[b] his [/b]place...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by sweetonugbu: 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Princealoba(m): 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2021

Kanu is a great player but this is about hat trick and Yak deserves his place...

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Pochettino(f): 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2021
Yakubu should be number 1.
To me, he is Nigeria's greatest striker ever.

I won't let one bad moment spoil his achievements. Baggio also let Italy down in '94 WC, Zidane in '06 WC etc. Didn't take anything away from their greatness so neither should Yakubu's.

31 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by YoungDaNaval(m): 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2021
Papillo!!!
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by femi4: 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2021
Princealoba:

Kanu is a great player but this is about hat trick and Yak deserves[b] his [/b]place...
Naija bloggers and bias minded reporting... don't mind them

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 18, 2021
cheesy
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Bampeh: 12:30pm On Mar 18, 2021
This list is complete. Good research from the OP

Yakubu reminds us of Rio Ferdinand

bampeh is proud of these Nigerians
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Felabrity: 12:31pm On Mar 18, 2021
The next one will be in 10 years
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Pavicx(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2021
grin grin

Only 5 players has scored a hat-trick...
If you ask the FG now, they’d tell you that it’s 55...
Sahara reporters would say it’s 2...

Wetin concern me?

I’ve scored a million hat tricks in my backyard, but no one seems to care.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by TanzaniaAbuja: 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2021
Yakubu is the best

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by colossus91(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2021
addexx:
Waiting for iwobi hatrick

Iwobi wey no fit score to save him life!!

1 Like

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by sotall(m): 12:34pm On Mar 18, 2021
Yak is number one

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Franckelv230: 12:34pm On Mar 18, 2021
Yakubu is no supposed to be on the list at all.

Not after what he did to us, only Buhari has done excessively worse than him

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by kheny12(m): 12:35pm On Mar 18, 2021
How does the hat rick helps we the Nigerian citizen.
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by emmnprince(m): 12:36pm On Mar 18, 2021
Igbankpa:
I still never forgive yakubu. if you know you know.

Greece abi?
Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 12:36pm On Mar 18, 2021
Because of his blunder in the 2010 world cup, it is the wonderful thing that Aiyegbeni was denied the first spot on this list. May he never be given a no. 1 sport for any good thing relating to Nigeria. I remember how he stood in front of the post with a stupid smile that day. The most annoying thing is coaches kept on inviting him for tournaments! God bless Stephen Keshi for the good riddance to bad rubbish!

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Cajal(m): 12:37pm On Mar 18, 2021
Yakubu my man
One of the very very few players with 4 goals in a single match

6 Likes

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by emmnprince(m): 12:39pm On Mar 18, 2021
joshjc:
Nice one from them, guys today is my birthday,I bless the most high jah for keeping me alive, happy birthday to me

I wish you a happy birthday. I pray that your Creator who gave you life and preserved it up to today continue to sustain and bless you with more years in good health and with wisdom. Amen. Enjoy your day responsibly.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by SpecialAdviser(m): 12:39pm On Mar 18, 2021
I could remember that Kanu hart trick against Chelsea. It made so many Nigerians become Arsenal fans grin

My friend was one of the victims. Most of them regret today ever being Arsenal fan after heart break upon heart break. grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick by Uchasa(m): 12:39pm On Mar 18, 2021
femi4:
Ojoro

Sentiments may finish you, read the post again and understand why Kanu is number one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AFCON : Ghana Dumped Out By Debutants Comoros In One Of AFCON Greatest Shock! / Gothia Cup Draws In Ajegunle: Ex Super Eagle Stars, CAF & NFA Officials At Event / Dickson Nwakaeme Buys Range Rover For Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.