Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,948 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t (4726 Views)

Project Restore: 2002 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7T - Definitely IS! / 2003 Audi A6 2.7T For Urgent Sales due to travelling abroad - 1.1m -08058326817 / 2002 Audi A6, 2.7t, Biturbo engine, Navy Blue Colour For Sale At A Superb Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 2:02pm On Apr 14, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a fairly low mileage 2.7t audi engine. Engine code is AJK. Or a 4.2 v8 from the same c5/b5 audis. Mine has no more than 55000miles on it in a 01 a6 and the head gasket 1 or maybe 2 has gone boom. I think its pointless to rebuild, as this went bad from a small mistake by some idiot mechanic at mobil service station on awolowo road, i dont trust anyone to refit some new gaskets so thought ild get a new engine. where can i get one for a good price? if you have one let me know. Many thanks, Ben.

benasayer@hotmail.com
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 2:52pm On Apr 14, 2011
I have two 2,671cc V6 30V Biturbo engines. One is from a 2000 Audi S4 B5, the other is from a 2003 Audi Allroad 2,7T.

I also have access to a 2003 Audi A6 4,2L V8 Quattro.

Which do you need? Or are you carrying out an engine conversion? I only ask, because you mention B5 Audi. The B5 Audi is the A4 / S4 from 1998 - 2001, and there was never a V8 option, unless you convert one to V8 power, which I did in the past.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2011
yes true. Are you not based in the uk? I ment a 2.7t from a b5 or c5, i think it will be easier to do a straight 2.7t swap for another 2.7t and then i would have the old engine for some spares, but then i can't find any mechanics here than can cope with the turbos, last time someone touched it they forgot to reconnect some of the intercooling piping on the right side! so i thought a 4.2 would give the same performance if not more - without the headache. since your an audi expert what would you suggest? i have to admit i was looking forward to getting a chip from apr http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_a627t.html

how much do 2.7t engines go for in the uk? around 50k miles? it would be easier if i could find 1 here. but then u have no idea why its not in a car!!!
thanks
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 14, 2011
^^^ Yes, I am UK-based. A 4,2L V8 will give similar, or more performance.

B5 RS4 2,7T V6 30V - 380 hp.
B5 S4 2,7T V6 30V - 265 hp.
C5 Allroad 2,7T V6 30V - 250 hp.
C5 A6 2,7T V6 30V - 230 hp.

C5 A6 4,2L V8 40V - 300 hp.
C5 A6 4,2L V8 40V - 310 hp.
C5 S6 4,2L V8 40V - 340 hp.
D2 S8 4,2L V8 32V - 340 hp.
D2 S8 4,2L V8 40V - 360 hp.

So, you can see the V8 engines will give you more [i]ba[/i]ng for your buck. The 380 hp 2,7T is from the range-topping B5, the Audi RS4, but so rare, and mega expensive. And seeing as the C5 A6 was available with the V8, it bolts straight in, and uses the same transmission as the V6 2,7T. It is also a lot lighter, being made entirely of aluminium. The V6 2,7T has a cast iron block, with only the cylinder heads made of light alloy.

The last 2,7T I sold went for £1,600. I will be placing the two I have here on eeBay where they fetch up to £2,000 depending on what it's being used for. The V8, on the other hand is around the £750 mark, as they seldom go wrong, meaning less demand. The problem with the 2,7T is the small KKK-03 turbochargers. They are fragile, and replacement means the entire and transmission have to be removed, due to their location. Most of my customers replace these with the more reliable KKK-04's from the RS4, or go bigger with Garrett units. In Nigeria, I would be inclined to advice the V8 as an option, unless you do your own repairs.

Either engine can be shipped to anywhere in Nigeria.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 5:03pm On Apr 14, 2011
ah well sadly I was expecting to pay around 200,000 for a new engine which would be around £800. I think a v8 would be better in the long run. I have a C5 2.7t quattro, so i was hoping that i would be able to do a simple swap, without worrying about transmission, brakes suspension etc, i think this would work? are there any differences between the uk cars/engines and american. Mines from the states. I am based in the uk though. Do you have a rough idea about what shipping would cost to Lagos?
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2011
A V8 shipped to Lagos will be £1,175. That's an all inclusive price.

The transmission and brakes on the V6 2,7T are the same as used on V8 models, excluding the RS6. So, no changes will need to be made there. There are no differences between Euro and US models, bar the stricter emission control system on US models.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 6:11pm On Apr 14, 2011
thanks man. That's painful but a fair price. I'll have a look around here, and then get back to you. do you have an email? thanks again
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by sultaan(m): 6:20pm On Apr 14, 2011
Remember exhaust headers.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 6:25pm On Apr 14, 2011
yeah i know, will the standard 2.7 v6 exhaust fit to the v8 headers??
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2011
sultaan:

Remember exhaust headers.

Yes, I always leave the headers on my engines.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 14, 2011
Operation:

yeah i know,  will the standard 2.7 v6 exhaust fit to the v8 headers??

The stock V6 2,7T exhaust (both sides) will fit the V8 headers. Bore size is also the same at 2.5".

My email's siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 7:27pm On Apr 14, 2011
awesome thanks. When are you moving back to nigeria!? grin
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 14, 2011
^^^ No time soon. grin
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Sannmmy: 9:36pm On Apr 14, 2011
Just out of curiosity, how much on the average does it cost to change a head gasket in Nigeria?
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 14, 2011
^^^ Now that I couldn't even hazard a guess. I know how much it costs here though, and how much I charge on an Audi 4,2L V8 40V.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Sannmmy: 9:58pm On Apr 14, 2011
ok, how much do you charge over there sir?
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 14, 2011
Sannmmy:

ok, how much do you charge over there sir?

£520 per head, includes parts, labour and coolant flush.

01) New head gasket.
02) New cylinder head bolts x 10.
03) New intake manifold gaskets x 2 (both sides need to be replaced, even if working on just one head, as plenum must be removed to free the cylinder head).
04) New exhaust manifold gasket.
05) New rocker cover gasket.
06) New camshaft oil seal.
07) Cylinder head pressure / crack testing before re-fit, skimmed as required.
08) Sundries.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by sultaan(m): 11:13pm On Apr 14, 2011
The problem here is when your check engine/gages light comes on and it starts overheating, you stop immediately to check what is wrong.

Driving with temp pegged at max and using roadside mechs will always cost you a lot more. Learn everything you can about your car, or pay for your lessons
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 12:30am On Apr 15, 2011
Siena you make me feel better about this new engine after every post!!! so, your saying that to change both heads would be around £1000, and you can buy a 4.2 v8 for around £800, i think i would go for an engine. The reasons why I don't want to have the mechanics dig around in my engine and change the gaskets is 1. they have no idea what they are doing. 2. they told me it would take them 3 weeks minimum, !? (lol) 3. they pointed to the 2 "small radiators" in the wings and asked why they were there and if they should remove them because there was already one in the front. no jokes. I'm assuming to change a head gasket would be over 100,000 naira. and then the engine would never run properly again. because they are bound to F*(& something up. I did ask over at audi on vi, they advised me to buy another car. lol
if there was someone here that i could trust to do a good job, at a fair price. (non of that criminally priced Lebanese bollocks) i would definitely have them do it. But sadly, I am let down once again.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Trac: 3:39am On Apr 15, 2011
Siena:

I have two 2,671cc V6 30V Biturbo engines. One is from a 2000 Audi S4 B5, the other is from a 2003 Audi Allroad 2,7T.

I also have access to a 2003 Audi A6 4,2L V8 Quattro.

Which do you need? Or are you carrying out an engine conversion? I only ask, because you mention B5 Audi. The B5 Audi is the A4 / S4 from 1998 - 2001, and there was never a V8 option, unless you convert one to V8 power, which I did in the past.

Siena,

I'm currently working on one at this point. It's a BEL SR 2671 187 MPI Bosch. It's got a tiptronic . Currently, I'm finished along with its owner but the engine speed at idle is low.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-647024.0.html

It bent a rod a two years ago and having done of that, it's been one misfire or the other till we decided that we will do it ourselves. When the plugs were rooted out, iridiums were observed and it was fouled with deposits. Besides the insult of the plug genre, the six plugs were gapped at about .23 to .26. The last owner along with the last service tech or mechanic did the vehicle injustice. So far, everything has been done according to spec. This is the last hurdle. Ironically, I do not know the factory rated idle rpm for the vehicle.

Please, check my post.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-647024.0.html
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Trac: 4:03am On Apr 15, 2011
Operation:

Siena you make me feel better about this new engine after every post!!! so, your saying that to change both heads would be around £1000, and you can buy a 4.2 v8 for around £800, i think i would go for an engine. The reasons why I don't want to have the mechanics dig around in my engine and change the gaskets is 1. they have no idea what they are doing. 2. they told me it would take them 3 weeks minimum, !? (lol) 3. they pointed to the 2 "small radiators" in the wings and asked why they were there and if they should remove them because there was already one in the front. no jokes. I'm assuming to change a head gasket would be over 100,000 naira. and then the engine would never run properly again. because they are bound to F*(& something up. I did ask over at audi on vi, they advised me to buy another car. lol
if there was someone here that i could trust to do a good job, at a fair price. (non of that criminally priced Lebanese bollocks) i would definitely have them do it. But sadly, I am let down once again.

It all burys to the fact that you are responsible for the up-keep of your car and not a mechanic and worse a tech. You may not be savvy but who you take the car to is totally your responsibility. Take some time to know what you have and arm yourself with a second or a third opinion before you shell some money to a person in return for service. If you think Nigerians are incompetent in fixing a car especially your S4, come down to the States. After several dollars of being in the hole, reconsiderations would be made after frustration. The truth is that the majority are incompetent and few know what they know. If you understood the nature of your vehicle, from the onset, you'd have taken the pain for a qualified indy in dealing with it. Truly, all the best in your choice outcome.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 11:02am On Apr 16, 2011
yes well I hardly had time to be responsible for its up keep, considering i bought it a few days before this happened, took it to a reputable service garage (mobil) only to have them damage the fan and bleed the coolant, a cool 42000 naira for the service, - destroyed head gasket free of charge.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Trac: 2:47pm On Apr 16, 2011
Operation:

yes well I hardly had time to be responsible for its up keep, considering i bought it a few days before this happened, took it to a reputable service garage (mobil) only to have them damage the fan and bleed the coolant, a cool 42000 naira for the service, - destroyed head gasket free of charge.

shocked Not nice!

I'm just having the time to read through the thread. You made a serious point of the service mechanics messing things up. It's just funny how we are at the mercy of certain people in life. We can't know everything.

If you decide to still stick to your original engine, it won't be a bad choice to remachine all your valves. A MLS gasket would be best. I am not an Audi enthusiast and I don't know the engine as much as I am sure about.

Audi/VW are not credible sources because their first objective is to sell vehicles. A head gasket job is an advance repair. The car is picky comes to coolant. There are lots of horror stories on this issue for those that neglected this simple warning label. Coolant should be red. or pink (something odd in the colour of red or so).
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by sultaan(m): 9:46pm On Apr 16, 2011
@ OP,

How did you know your head gasket is destroyed?

For next time

When you get a new car do not take it in for any service outside schedule, just start from your mileage with oil&filter change(go by manual).
No transmission, no coolant, no thermostat, not even spark plug untill check engine light comes on.
If maitennance required light comes on, go by schedule, do oil&filter change, inspect other things yourself, if you notice anything odd, then take it to you mech. Now you just found out you know just as much as your mechanic know about your car.

A turbo car uses/take more engine oil(about a quart extra), turbos generate heat(recirculate exhaust air) so they have intercooler. If they start with that then they go for your turbos, then ask you to change to a 1.8l engine ending with you buy a new car .
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 12:43am On Apr 17, 2011
what are you talking about!? I bought a new car that had been used in nigeria. there is no way of telling what state the engine was in until you do a full a service on it, and when i did, i found out that the spark plugs had never been changed, all the filters were clogged etc etc. So i am happy i didnt wait until the next service was due as something could have gone wrong since it had missed its last 2!
Now, how did i know my head gasket was destroyed!? because the bloody thing started to overheat, then started to loose compression and finally wouldnt start. I did a compression test, and low and behold - right side is shot. What i found out about the mechs is that i was insanely stupid to even think that they had an ounce of common sense. sadly that has just proven itself. when i finally towed the car home and had a look i found out that some idiot during the service had ripped the electric fan wire,
I am pissed off because I have only recently finished at university (motorsport engineering at UWE followed by motorcycle design at Kingston) and this has taken a while for me to save up for. Despite having grown up between here and togo it still astonishes me at how someone who picks up a hammer can call themselves a mechanic --- and because they work in a large service station people will carry on going to see them.
whats worse is that people are still willing to defend them. so what if i didnt know anything about cars!? thats why im paying a fucking mechanic to do the work because they are supposed to have the experience and knowledge, it makes no sense!

"Now you just found out you know just as much as your mechanic know about your car." - bullshit
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by sultaan(m): 3:20am On Apr 17, 2011
Lesson learnt.

Get another engine or rebuild the old one.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 18, 2011
Ben, how much would you pay me, to fly out with parts and tools, to rebuild your engine?
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 9:22pm On Apr 19, 2011
Siena mate I don't earn that much!! I got the car for 850k and im looking at close to 300k to replace the engine, which sucks,. I was thinking about rebuilding it with some friends but even with the service manual and lots of forum write ups and several weekends - maybe a year of weekends i fear i might give up, i did find an A8 with a 4.2 but mangled gear box, which has been sitting at the mechanics for over 2 years, but i think it might be out of my price range.
- If you fancy coming over for a holiday I can put you up, got two spare bedrooms smiley
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 19, 2011
^^^ That's a shame! The A8 4,2L V8 sounds an attractive proposition though. How much does he want for that?
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2011
I'm not sure. I didnt have a chance to get hold of the owner, But it would make more sense to take the whole A8 and get rid of the A6 as the A8 is in much better shape, even if it does have 70,000miles on top of the A6. Am I correct in thinking that they both use the same gear box? And wats the story with the v8 engine codes, ive come across about 5 engines from the c5 models which all seem to have different codes and i cant understand it,
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 19, 2011
Yep. The Tiptronic transmission in both cars are the same, regardless of V6 / V8 configuration.

The engine codes are merely revisions - different compression ratios, camshaft profiles, oil pumps, power outputs etc. But essentially the same engines all round, as in same engine block / cylinder head castings.
Re: Looking For Audi Engine 2.7t by Operation(m): 9:50pm On Apr 19, 2011
Oh ok awesome. You've been really helpful. Much appreciated - ill let you know what happens. Hopefully ill have a build thread going soon smiley doubt it will be anywhere near as amazing as the ones you've done though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2012 Model Accord..brand New 6k Mileage @4m / 2011 Toyota Corolla Toks available for sale @ 2.850M / Rover 600 For Sale @ N750k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.