Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,897 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? (414 Views)

Tyson Fury Vs Dillian Whyte: Heavyweight Boxing Fight. 23 April 2022 Wembley / Ramos: I'm Going To Fight To Death For PSG In The Game Against Real Madrid / Anthony Joshua Vs Kubrat Pulev: Heavyweight Boxing Fight On Dec. 12 In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by robosky02(m): 12:56pm On Mar 20, 2021
Fight to the Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore?

ON MARCH 21, 1963, two boxers Davey Moore and Sugar Ramos entered Dodger Stadium to fight for the featherweight championship of the world.
Davey Moore, the champ, had held the title for four years. Many considered him to be the best pound-for-pound boxer in the sport. Approaching 30, he was planning to fight for a couple more years, long enough to earn serious money.

Then he was going to retire and enjoy his wife’s delicious cooking without having to worry about making weight.

Moore made his professional debut on May 11, 1953, aged 19, beating Willie Reece by a decision in six rounds. He boxed 8 times in 1953, with a total record that year of 6 wins, 1 loss and 1 no contest.

From the beginning of his career through 1956 Moore fought a total of 29 bouts, with a total record of 22–5–1, and 1 no contest. Beginning with his April 10, 1957 fight against Gil Cadilli, Moore had an 18-bout winning streak, ending when he lost to Carlos Morocho Hernández on March 17, 1960, with a TKO.

Moore was scheduled to face Cuban-Mexican Sugar Ramos on July 1962 at Dodger Stadium but a torrential typhoon-like rainstorm hit Los Angeles on the night of the fight and the fight was postponed until March 21, 1963.

It was shown on national television in front of a crowd of 22,000. In the tenth round, Ramos staggered Moore with a left and then continued to pummel him with blows until he fell, striking the base of his neck on the bottom rope and injuring his brain stem.

Moore got to his feet for the eight-count and, despite Ramos’ continuing attack, managed to finish the round on his feet, but the referee stopped the fight before the eleventh, and Ramos was declared the new World Featherweight Champion.

Moore was able to give a clear-headed interview before he left the ring, but in the dressing room fell into a coma from which he never emerged.

www.brila.net/fight-to-the-grave-who-killed-davey-moore/

Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by robosky02(m): 1:04pm On Mar 20, 2021

Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 20, 2021
Omo see as blow kill person
I go beat am I go beat am see as blow put fullstop for him career. Never underestimate the power of a well sized punch. Punch wey weigh wey get bear bear. Agba punch.

I don see where person receive punch he shout "Ma!!!!" I swear. Come dey run go house. Although him house dey really close. Next day I ask am why he run like that he say as the blow hit he hear him mama call him name "emeka!!!" Na him make am feel say him mama dey call am. On getting home him mama dey sleep. I just congratulate am. Bros na your mama spirit call you back. You were on your way to heaven. You go fear. Blow wey dey sound like mama voice

1 Like

Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by robosky02(m): 1:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
Do yo know Devey Moore defeated Nigerian Hogan Bassey

Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by khengxlei(m): 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2021
WOAH!
Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by Ishilove: 5:27am On Mar 21, 2021
He injured his brain stem. That's what killed him obviously
Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by Ishilove: 5:28am On Mar 21, 2021
robosky02:
Do yo know Devey Moore defeated Nigerian Organ Bassey
*Hogan
Re: Boxing: Fight To The Grave – Who Killed Davey Moore? by hayqiumba(m): 10:45am On Mar 21, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Omo see as blow kill person
I go beat am I go beat am see as blow put fullstop for him career. Never underestimate the power of a well sized punch. Punch wey weigh wey get bear bear. Agba punch.

I don see where person receive punch he shout "Ma!!!!" I swear. Come dey run go house. Although him house dey really close. Next day I ask am why he run like that he say as the blow hit he hear him mama call him name "emeka!!!" Na him make am feel say him mama dey call am. On getting home him mama dey sleep. I just congratulate am. Bros na your mama spirit call you back. You were on your way to heaven. You go fear. Blow wey dey sound like mama voice
Ur signature told it all

(1) (Reply)

Can the Elephants comeback Enyimba Vs Pyramid FC after losing (4-1) in Egypt / Floyd Mayweather Vs Paul Logan. Countdown / Tennis Player Paula Badosa Leaves Court In Wheelchair Amid Extreme Tokyo Heat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.